An Old School Catholic Message Board

Arfink Gets Random Part Two!

arfink

lotus+flower.png

Lotus. :) I hope spring comes soon, so I can go see some real flowers.

FLOWERRRRRRR.

You should draw more flowerrrrrs. So pretty!

This just seems like a horrifically bad idea, on so many levels. But it has lasers. Mmmmmmmmmm

[media]http://vimeo.com/65533463[/media]

I would think that the wood would make soot build up on your record player's needle. And the acrylic warps like crazy, as expected due to the fact that it can deform up to 15% when heated. And you heat the whole thing in a big concentric ring.

Also, because the laser cutter used is an XY gantry machine, it must move in discrete steps, producing lots of noise because the channel isn't actually round. I imagine building a machine which uses a blu-ray diode and an old turntable could produce a channel that is actually round, and greatly reduce noise.

Edited by arfink

I found a quote by GK Chesterton that I really like:

"A modern man of genius, Gauguin I think, said that an artist must either be a revolutionist or a plagiarist. He might, in fairness, have added that most of the very great artists were plagiarists. Antiquated authors of the type of Chaucer and Shakespeare were quite enthusiastic for copying; until more modern authors became more enthusiastic for copyright."

"The Refrain of the Rover," The Apostle and the Wild Ducks

Edited by arfink

Arrrfink! I have a random post for you, I didnt know where else to put it.

Im a big bananas fan of JW Waterhouse. 

I like him because most of his artwork is inspired by classic literature and poetry...which I  L O V E 

I adore his style and his subject matter.

I think my favorite by him is his depiction of the Lady of Shalott right before she dies. 

waterhouse_the_lady_of_shalott02.jpg

Since youre much more knowledgeable in this area than I am, I wondered if you could share your thoughts on him. Id love to hear your critique

Arrrfink! I have a random post for you, I didnt know where else to put it.

Im a big bananas fan of JW Waterhouse. 

I like him because most of his artwork is inspired by classic literature and poetry...which I  L O V E 

I adore his style and his subject matter.

I think my favorite by him is his depiction of the Lady of Shalott right before she dies. 

waterhouse_the_lady_of_shalott02.jpg

Since youre much more knowledgeable in this area than I am, I wondered if you could share your thoughts on him. Id love to hear your critique

Well, I must say I'm not terribly familiar with his work or his life. My impression of him is that he's quite a master. His work seems to be a clever blend of the schools of realism and impressionism. His work seems to me to blend the lifelike qualities of realist portrait work with a dreamy impression of the surroundings. Very cool stuff IMO.

His subject matter also interests me. It seems he mostly painted women. I'm curious why he did that. The portrait he paints of his wife is very different from the kinds of faces he paints in every other painting he made. I wonder if perhaps he was a bit of a longing idealist perhaps?

Esther%20Kenworthy%20Waterhouse-1885-bor

I don't really know what to "critique" his work for, it's certainly far beyond what I could accomplish. I can't find any particular faults here. :)

I guess I just wanted to share some art love with you.

I may not be very well versed in the art world but his stuff in particular really just...i dunno! I was in awe!

I guess I just wanted to share some art love with you.

I may not be very well versed in the art world but his stuff in particular really just...i dunno! I was in awe!

Well thank you for sharing! I loved it. :) And yeah, I'm also in awe of other artists, on a regular basis. In fact, I have been in awe of many things people wouldn't even consider art, ever since I have begun doing some myself. It's quite hard to do well.

Well the secret is, you don't exactly draw it. You have to keep making more layers, and refining it each time. You start with something that looks horrible, and then you sketch, and re-sketch, and fix it, and draw some more, and draw it over again, and paint over the top of it, and paint over the top of that, and so on.

I took an art class for school a while back and though at the beginning of the class...I was fighting it a bit. It was required as part of my generals but since it is far from my focus I was struggling with justifying the amount of time I spent on it. Eventually however I started to really enjoy it. It was very therapeutic for me as well as enjoyable! I feel like I learned a lot! I think the biggest thing I learned was how to SEE things...I think that was a big part for me.

The first piece we had to do for class was a self portrait...now I had 0 skill at this point and our teacher was asking us to draw ourselves! I CANT DRAW PEOPLE! So I decided to put a twist on it and draw things I liked.

The time signature is 22 which was how old I was at the time

There are lots of vines...I like vines...so I used them to connect everything

The vines "bloomed" or held onto different parts of my interests like music, chemistry/biology, and then a ton of hearts because I couldnt draw animals or people or whatever Rofl!

I also wrote my name in the notes

This was done with pencil

014-1.jpg

This is another assignment where we had to pick an artist and emulate them. I pick Alex Katz cause his name was crazy. Although when you look at his work he mostly focuses on people so when I saw this tree picture I decided it was more around my level of minimal skill. I cant draw people...

I drew this picture with what I think was called colored charcoal? It was very messy

002-1.jpg

The final for the class was something we had to draw consisting of multiple pictures put together so I drew more vines. They are meant to represent the 4 seasons.

I used "woodless" colored pencils. They were very interesting but fun for shading!!!

019-1.jpg

Here is a close up of the winter vine, I sprayed sparkles on it!!!!  :bounce:

020.jpg

The very last thing Im sharing is something I did on my own. I fell in love with charcoal during the class so even after it was over I still liked drawing with it occasionally!

91cfc076.jpg