An Old School Catholic Message Board

A.a. Thread

Josh.... (and it took me a minute to figure out who you are.... now that your DB days are behind you!)  most people don't realize what an incredibly powerful spiritual program AA and Alanon, Alateen, and all the other Anonymous groups can be.  I have seen great GREAT holiness come out of AA.

Are you familiar with Ven. Matt Talbot of Dublin?  If you aren't you might want to google some info.....

My father was a friend of BillW for over 40 years.... and I remember so many nights when he would be going to a meeting.   I don't think I realized how much it had affected his spiritual life (he was a lapsed Episcopalian, but close to God in his own way) until after his death when I met with his minster.  The minister made what to me (as a Secular Order member in a n order with a pretty strong contemplative prayer focus) was a very interesting comment.  The minister told me that he recognized my dad from  my photos of him, but not because he routinely filled the pews on a Sunday.  He recognized him as someone who would sit in the back of their church by the hour during the week.  The minister had approached him a few times, offering counsel or prayer, but my father had said he just wanted to be alone with God.   Now.... this from someone who told me he envied the 'relationship that you have with God, Anne.... I have no sense of the presence of God.'  Now in retrospect, I have a feeling he had a VERY strong relationship with God... just not much of the 'feel good' parts of what some think religion is.  My dad told me that he found God through the spirituality of AA.... and that he believed in God and knew that his Higher Power kept him sober... but not because he could feel it.  But he could feel it when he wasn't sober... as an absence. 

And... when I was looking at religious life at one point, the Sisters insisted that I attend Alanon (the group for family members who have been affected by alcohol among friends and family).   I have seldom met people who were SO focused on finding God and putting their lives into His care.... and often doing it at a level of pure faith that would make most Catholics run screaming.   So I pray for you and your AA brothers and sisters every day... we are all part of the same family, Josh....

One additional thought.... as a counselor, we were always reminded to also encourage those who for whatever reason were NOT comfortable with the spirituality with a Higher Power focus of AA to encourage them to consider --the 'SOS' groups like Secular Organization for Sobriety).   Sometimes addicts who had been hurt by Church/religion or were determined that they would NOT go to AA, but might be open to the SOS idea.   And I pray for all of them, too (just don't tell 'em!)

Its basically like going to Church everytime I go to a meeting....Not mass of course but I get that too so its good...We start with the Serenity prayer and end with the Our Father....There is a little more cursing then you would find in Church but its all good....lol

Edited by Guest

Last night meeting was one of the best ones....This older black guy was a guest speaker and his testimony was great...I hung on about every word he said and he was funny and entertaining....His story was really moving and he tied everything together perfectly....You would think you were listening to a preacher until the end when he said don't get it confused I'm not a flopp'n preacher...lol But ya his recovery through aa had God helping him the whole way and it was great to hear....Todays meeting sorta sucked and I just messed on my phone most of the time....But I was happy to be there....

90 in 90 is not the best way to start. It's A way to start, but I'd argue it's not the best.

Do you have a sponsor? Have you established a home group? Do you have a commitment? Do you speak regularly to other alcoholics outside of meetings?

Coffee is more important than a meeting -- one alcoholic talking to another alcoholic.

I go to meetings when I can...I'm sitting in one now...No sponser yet....No home meetings...I don't talk at meetings I listen....It has worked great for me so far....I don't drink coffee...

I've been in the program for five and a half years. Just a word of advice: turn off your phone during meetings. Get there early and don't get up during the meeting if you aren't dying or about to pee yourself. Shake hands with at least one person every time. If you haven't introduced yourself as new when prompted, DO IT. EVERY TIME. Get some numbers. Talk to at least one other alcoholic every day.

Find a home group. Take a commitment at that home group. And most important of all: Find a sponsor. And then do what they say, even when it sounds stupid and/or you don't want to. THAT is the part that will change your life. Meetings are all well and a good -- they're how the newcomer finds us -- but it's the work we do outside of meetings that really changes us.

Remember: when you make a commitment, you don't have to make a decision.

Just got done with a 5 hour shift...Went well....Hit a lot of hands....Going to hit a second meeting tonight at 830 since I might not be able to make it tommorow because of a 12 pm tourney....Flee the devil and he will flee you....

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Todays meeting was great...Had a guest speaker...Her story was really moving and inspirational....

Good work Josh you made it, a holy roman catholic christian member of a.a.

God bless you.

Onward christian souls.

Jesus is Lord.

St John the baptist pray for us.

Good meeting...There is this beautiful girl I keep seeing at meetings....I'm wondering if God has her planned to be my wife....

I was going to make some smart ass comment about this.  But, honestly, you're doing a good thing.  Going to AA is tough.  Being public about it is tough.  You should be commended for what you're doing.  Is the girl your future wife?  Probably not.  But maybe she is.