An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do you think Harry Potter is bad?

karin

I think harry potter is like any fiction. i actually love the books they are really good reading. you just have to realize that there are evils out there that are not fake and witches and wizards who are not just trying to get along in thier lives. But actually worship the devil and want you to go to hell

harry potter is a well written and entertaining series...

But.

If we look at a work like Lord of the Rings, comparatively the two are very different in their philosophies. In LOTR, Gandalf's magic is a mysterious power given to him by those above him. He is not a human, nor did he 'learn' his magic. In Harry Potter, the power comes from within the person, which is something that we shouldn't believe. Where do our gifts and talents come from? God, of course. Likewise, the discrimination against Muggles is somewhat disturbing once we get past the humor. I think Rowling touches on this by presenting the Malfoys (who love to call people Mudbloods) as such twisted evil meanies.

I disagree that the power comes from "within the person." The characters have no choice over whether or not they are wizards or not, it's something that is like hair or eye color, just something they are born with.

I can't wait for the rest of the books to come out, mainly cause Rowling has said that her personal beliefs do have some role in them (her main reason for not stating what exactly she believes). I don't want to judge the books at all, until they are all out. Right now, they are totally fine fiction, but if they do get worse well, it'll be right there, easy to tell.

Just remember, don't judge a book by it's cover ;)

The Harry Potter books are great! I myself love them and think they are very enjoyable. Also I can't tell you how many stories I've heard about kids hating reading and then finding Harry Potter and then reading tons of books.

Harry Potter is like any other fiction book IT'S NOT REAL!!!! Remember that people!!!!

Karinsbestfriend

I think they are really interesting books, and I find them very entertaining to read. But yea, one does have to remember that of coarse they are just books, there not real.

[quote name='Iacobus' date='Oct 27 2004, 03:33 PM'] Read one page and hated it. Won't touch it, it is [i]below[/i] me. LOL! [/quote]
:rolleyes: Jacob :rolleyes:

[quote name='Iacobus' date='Oct 27 2004, 03:33 PM'] Read one page and hated it. Won't touch it, it is [i]below[/i] me. LOL! [/quote]
Mister Smarty pants ^_^

i love the Harry Potter books. i don't think they're bad in any way, as long as you have the understanding not to let the evil portrayed influence your life.

don't want to see the movies though.. it'll ruin what i see in the books.

cmotherofpirl

Is that how you react to all works of fiction? Didn't you ever read fairy tales?

I enjoyed Harry Potter and his adventures.

Edited by cmotherofpirl