An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do you think Harry Potter is bad?

karin

Personally, I love the Harry Potter books, but I didn't at first. My sister was the one who first recommended it to me, because her teacher (note: at the time we both attended private Catholic schools) read them to her class just for fun. When the media began making a huge deal about it being evil (anyone remember that?) we found it slightly amusing and annoying just by the fact of her teacher having read it to them. (Teachers had to get permission from the priest before reading a book to the class for such reasons).

Something else to note is that in the books the students get Christmas and Easter holidays (not just Winter and Spring).

Overall, though. I just think the books are really cute, and I would definately let my kids read them when I'm older.

Of course, the Bible is the best book anyday, but EVERYONE knows that! :D lol

~Vicki

christ_myantidrug

i love the HP books...and movies. when i read them i just remember that its fiction. I mean i know its not true and could never happen, but its very entertaining!

littleflower+JMJ

[quote name='crusader1234' date='Nov 3 2004, 04:04 PM'] They have tons of Christian parralels and allusions. [/quote]
yeah and their all anti-christian <_< and anti-catholic

HP is bad literature........i can't believe i agree with Jacob! hahaha

:(

I love the Harry Potter books...

And I know that they are fiction. Not some brainwashing-book-thing to get kids to join the occult.

If a kid is liable to thinking those things, then parents shouldn't let them read it. That, or the parents should explain how its fiction. Most of those books are for older peeps anywayz.

I like to compare my books to food (sorry if that's weird).
Y'know, a really good, intelligent, well-written book, is like, i don't know a salad. or something that tastes good and is healthy( ... nothing comes to mind, but you know what I mean.)
But most novels are like candy. Harry Potter is like some kind of tasty chocolate. It tastes really good, but then again, its still only candy. :lol:

I thought I was a literature snob . . . how can you hate harry potter? :blink:

lol, candy! I like that.

I'm a major bookworm. I read Harry Potter, but I also read: The Bible, Tale of Two Cities, To Kill a Mockingbird, Animal Farm, Crime and Punishment, ....you get the idea.

Books rock, the Bible the the best book ever, and the Pope is the coolest person on this planet....
....so true!

[quote name='littleflower' date='JMJ+Nov 14 2004, 12:36 AM'] yeah and their all anti-christian <_< and anti-catholic

HP is bad literature........i can't believe i agree with Jacob! hahaha [/quote]
I agree they are trashy (although entertaining), but I definately don't see the anti-catholocism.

With all the hype I'm a little wary, and I'll take LOTR over them any day. I decided that I don't have to read them, and so I haven't. I some people want to read them that's fine, but I'm just going to stand back from it.

[quote name='FutureSoror' date='Nov 15 2004, 11:26 PM'] With all the hype I'm a little wary, and I'll take LOTR over them any day. I decided that I don't have to read them, and so I haven't. I some people want to read them that's fine, but I'm just going to stand back from it. [/quote]
I'd also take LOTR Over Harry Potter Anyday, Harry Potter has no morals, and teaches Evil as Good, which is morally wrong, but LOTR, is about Fellowship, Honor, Faith, the battle between Good and Evil, and its mroe Bibical.