An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do you think Harry Potter is bad?

karin

Vivacristorey

[quote name='White Knight' date='Oct 27 2004, 04:36 PM']I can't believe people like this..... Harry Potter is immoral, I'll take Lord of the Rings Trilogy anyday lol.
[right][snapback]398114[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
our highschool newspaper had an article on this... they said that the only way it could lead someone into sin is if they already were not formed well and didnt have a good basis in their faith.
also, the lord of the rings has TONS of magic in it, but no one's accusing them?
thirdly, really good points are made in the books beyond the outer covering... dumbledore says to harry in all the books that his greatest power is love, and that evil forgets that and that he can not. its not his powers that will save him, dumbledore reminds him, but love because that is the ultimate power. also, the themes of friendship, loyalty, and each person's personal vocation is very real. friendship because the characters, just like any real group of teenagers, have friendship problems every once in a while and have to work them out through selfless love in working things out, humility in accepting that they're not perfect, and also honesty when it's tempting to lie or cheat. loyalty because harry battles his feelings and emotions to be loyal to his friends, family, and the right thing to do. many times he messes up, and that's what makes some people uncomfortable. This character is so close to the average teenager that it's scary, but its true that we all mess up so that shouldn't be our basis for calling the books "evil" Also, Harry has a choice to make: whether or not to go destroy evil. He chooses his vocation (as presented by a prophesy) to destroy evil (in the form of lord voldemort) showing that no matter how many mistakes we make, we must always follow our vocation. he finds peace in that he's doing what he's meant to do in his life, he's found his purpose and shows supernatural peace.

sometimes we have to dig past the outer covering and look for the virtues and ideas presented.

~*sarah*~

Vivacristorey

just to let you know, i've read all the books and they didnt HELP me in my faith, but they definitely gave me something fun to do sittting on the beach or something. My family all loves the books and my religion teacher was telling me that why so many people are attracted to them is the same reason so many people are attracted to star wars and the lotr and the chronicles of narnia: its the fight of good vs. evil that is, whether we admit it or not, inscribed on our souls. thats why ppl who are professing athiests love these stories, because they say exactly what's inscribed on their souls since they were created : that the battle of good vs. evil is going on, and the good guys will win.
also i think that they're FICTION as said many times. it's not a book about Christ misleading people about him like the divinci code. it's not a book that says "dont believe in Christ. practice magic. call on the devil. its' fun." NO we must remember that if you are already not formed well obviously you will reject the books because you cant handle it because you aren't convinced of your faith. it's very personal to the person. the spiritually mature will be able to read it, find the deeper meanings, and cherish those lessons with a true Catholic Christian spirit.
Now im not saying that if you just dont like them you're not spritually mature. I personally cant stand lotr. the chronicles of narnia are great, but i cant do lotr. but im not going to condemn it just because i dont like it or just because it has magic in it and magical creatures. no, itthey're very good books for the soul and very catholic. i just dont personally like them because of my literary taste. thats all.

thanks for listening, reading, or skimming. whichever you did made me feel heard out. :)
~*sarah*~

• 4 weeks later...
*lil girl 4 jesus*

seriously, i just started reading the books and i am in love with them. they are a great, well written series! alot of my friends parents have problems with them, but i can't find anything that would make you go spiraling down into a pit of evil and sorcery the minute you open them! which is what alot of people i know think.

I like fantasy (fantasy is in many ways very compatible with Catholicism: y'all should see GK Chesterton's and CS Lewis' ideas on this matter), but I think there are dangers associated with Harry Potter... if only because some readers may be immature enough to think they can emulate Harry Potter by getting into the occult. And Harry himself really acts like a snot a lot of the time. But I don't think there's anything wrong with the book by itself. You just have to read it with a mature attitude.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Tindomiel' date='Feb 7 2006, 03:55 PM']I like fantasy (fantasy is in many ways very compatible with Catholicism: y'all should see GK Chesterton's and CS Lewis' ideas on this matter), but I think there are dangers associated with Harry Potter... if only because some readers may be immature enough to think they can emulate Harry Potter by getting into the occult. And Harry himself really acts like a snot a lot of the time. But I don't think there's anything wrong with the book by itself. You just have to read it with a mature attitude.
[right][snapback]879276[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I agree. I have started reading them and they arent evil or even bad, but you do have to look at the with a mature attitude. I thought the first one one was almost enjoyable. Unfortunatrly she puts in a bit too much disobedience and grossness, but other than that i would say they are OK.

this is what bothers me most, everyone reads them and thinks to themselves, wow this is so much better than what all those ppl said becasue its not about satan and it's not gonna lead you to sin! This is a good book. NO We are NOT saying it is EVIL we are saying that though it shows good and evil, I don't think it does any good. I do NOT like harry, he is portrated very immature and never seems to mature. He needs to get over himself but that's not what this is about. I have stated my opinion numerous times. But again, I just can't appreciate Rowlings works as much as CS Lewis's or Tolkiens, I've tried readintg hers with an open mind and thinking about how good this series could be, but I just can't appreceaite it and fall in love with it, I think it's a very juvinile and immature look on life and moral issues. I don't like it for young ones and I wouldn't recoment it. Does anyone agree with me here?

[quote name='Vivacristorey' date='Jan 12 2006, 07:56 PM']why so many people are attracted to them is the same reason so many people are attracted to star wars and the lotr and the chronicles of narnia:
[right][snapback]854450[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I think that you should not compare Narnia, LOTR, star wars, and HP with each other. I do get what your saying about how Harry Potter has very good morals, I'm really trying to understand and open up to the idea of likeing Harry Potter, but it's difficult. Anyways, LOTR and Narnia have CLEAR signs relating to not only the life of Jesus, such as the sacrifices jesus made for us, but also Tolkien relates allllot of his things upon the book of revalation, in the bible. That's where Catholisism comes in. And HP doesn't have that.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I am so totally with you!!!

[quote name='uruviel' date='Feb 25 2006, 10:26 PM']this is what bothers me most, everyone reads them and thinks to themselves, wow this is so much better than what all those ppl said becasue its not about satan and it's not gonna lead you to sin!  This is a good book.  NO We are NOT saying it is EVIL we are saying that though it shows good and evil, I don't think it does any good.  I do NOT like harry, he is portrated very immature and never seems to mature.  He needs to get over himself but that's not what this is about.  I have stated my opinion numerous times.  But again, I just can't appreciate Rowlings works as much as CS Lewis's or Tolkiens, I've tried readintg hers with an open mind and thinking about how good this series could be, but I just can't appreceaite it and fall in love with it, I think it's a very juvinile and immature look on life and moral issues.  I don't like it for young ones and I wouldn't recoment it.  Does anyone agree with me here?
[right][snapback]897892[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

the flutehonker

it's a preference thing i suppose. some people will like the books, and some won't, just as some people prefer vanilla ice cream and some prefer chocolate. i don't think it's a big deal or anything ^_^

*lil girl 4 jesus*

dude, i love the series!!!!!! it HAS rocked my world.... :yes: :woot:
w000t!! :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :D: :D: :D: