An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do you think Harry Potter is bad?

karin

[quote name='FutureSoror' date='Nov 15 2004, 11:26 PM'] With all the hype I'm a little wary, and I'll take LOTR over them any day. I decided that I don't have to read them, and so I haven't. I some people want to read them that's fine, but I'm just going to stand back from it. [/quote]
Yeah, I think that's my stance.

i like reading, i read 4-5 of the HP books... i dont see what the big deal is, they are fiction. They are not real. It doesn't matter... I read so many different books, that they all just seem to be a story, adn that it the end of it. If i started acting like all the peeps in the books, then i would get a little freaked, but i don't. Books are like movies to some people. I really don't watch too many, I read... When there is a 'weird' movie out, some people go to watch it... they know that it isn't all true... that is the same thing with books for me. The Harry Potter books are just a fun and entertaining story about what it would be like to grow up if you were a wizard... no harm in that... Not to change the subject, but if y'all dont' like HP, then do y'all like the Lord of the Rings series???

+jessica+

I've never read any books or watched any movies, so I really don't have any grounds to be stating an opinion. But i'm going to anyway. I think (from what friends have told me, who have read them) that they are basically harmless but just plain weird and disgusting. Someone told me that one book had evil spirits or something in the toliets???

[quote name='littleflower+JMJ' date='Nov 15 2004, 07:37 PM']oh its there...  :club:

i'lll see if i can find the links and articles[/quote]
Well...anything thing is there if you look hard enough. People have managed to find ways to say that the Bible teaches people to be evil, but I think we all know that isn't true.
[quote]Harry Potter has no morals, and teaches Evil as Good[/quote]
Have you read the books? I'm not trying to be mean. I just want to know where you got that from. If that is simply your opinion after reading the books... more power to you. That's the fun in free will. ;)
[quote]When there is a 'weird' movie out, some people go to watch it... they know that it isn't all true... that is the same thing with books for me.[/quote]
Same here
[quote]Someone told me that one book had evil spirits or something in the toliets??? [/quote]
There's a ghost in one, which may be what they are talking about. That's mostly comedy, though.

I really think all it comes down to is preference. Many of the people who don't like HP like LOTR, and vice versa (based on posts on this thread). Some like both, and some like none. To me, the point of reading is either to learn or spark your imagination. Books like LOTR and HP do the latter. If someone is going to those books to establish their faith and beliefs I worry about them, but I don't think it's necessary to blame it on the books or the authors (which I don't think anyone has done as of yet).

And I still keep my stance that the Bible is the best book ever and the Pope is the coolest person on this earth.
Oh, and the Catholic church rocks. :) he he

• 11 months later...

Me, being a stereotypical "go against the grain" guy, don't like harry potter because of its cultish following.

I was also disappointed to see LotR come out on movie because now it has the same following where before people never bothered to read the books. It's the same with C.S. Lewis' Chronicals of Narnia. I think they're destroying classics.

Excelsior1027

[quote name='DAF' date='Nov 12 2005, 04:37 PM']Me, being a stereotypical "go against the grain" guy, don't like harry potter because of its cultish following.

I was also disappointed to see LotR come out on movie because now it has the same following where before people never bothered to read the books. It's the same with C.S. Lewis' Chronicals of Narnia. I think they're destroying classics.
[right][snapback]786575[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Destroying classics, or bringing more people to love them? It was because of the LOTR movies that I read the books, and one of my friends did the same thing, and now I appreciate what a great fantasy epic it really is, in both book and movie form.

As for Harry Potter, I've read all of them except the latest, because I just never decided to buy it, though I still plan on reading it. It was my favorite book series before I was old enough to realize there are other good books out there, too, lol. The books aren't evil, I've even gotten my priest's opinion on them (and believe me, my priest is very traditional and a very, very good priest). He said that they are okay, [i]unless[/i] they become more than just a book. They are okay as just a fictional story, a fairy tale, and that's exactly what my stand has always been on them.

AlterDominicus

Umm....truthfully....I was sort of ish still a HP freak. I'm going to see the 4th movie on Friday...I used to sort of ish still RP HP sites. - uh um, and attend the band concerts Harry and the Potters, uh um...hehe, yeah, OH BOY!

*runs away as speedgonzaleze*

Guest Rick777

I think that if you are strong in your faith and realize, this is just a book, your fine but a lot of little kids who are still to young to really have that perspective can get really carried away...i think its done more harm than good tho.....

Proud2BCatholic139

Even if they are little kids, magic in my book, even if it is to fight off evil is not ok. But that is just me. :idontknow:

homeschoolmom

[quote name='crusader1234' date='Nov 16 2004, 07:44 PM']Stick to Narnia
[right][snapback]420440[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Amen, Brother...

Well thank goodness that this topic shouldn't cause any animosity on the board.

<---- runs out of room

Edited by jaime