An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do you think Harry Potter is bad?

karin

the flutehonker

[quote name='sarcasmguy126' date='Mar 11 2006, 07:32 PM']well...i've only seen a few of the movies
[right][snapback]909103[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

in my opinion...the books OWN the movies :D:

yes well some of us like it. I think it is also a matter of opinion and taste, how you percieve the books, and what you like. I don't like them. I've, again, stated how I don't like the juvanile series. I don't think it has anything to think about spiritually and it doesn't relate to anything in terms of the Christian/Catholic faith as some of you might say that LOTR and TCON have magic as well, yes they have magic. But they have SO very deep meanings of the bible, the Catholic church, Jesus's life, happenings in Jesus's life, they relate to things like that. HP doesn't. I'm not saying it has to to be a good book. I'm saying that in defense for those of you who say it's just as good as LOTR because it has magic as well. Just because it's interesting and fun, doesn't make it good for us.

[quote name='goldbug16' date='Mar 11 2006, 10:33 AM']Yes, I am so totally with you!!!
[right][snapback]908769[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thank you goldbug :P: hehe

sarcasmguy126

[quote name='uruviel' date='Mar 12 2006, 06:48 PM']yes well some of us like it.  I think it is also a matter of opinion and taste, how you percieve the books, and what you like.  I don't like them.  I've, again, stated how I don't like the juvanile series.  I don't think it has anything to think about spiritually and it doesn't relate to anything in terms of the Christian/Catholic faith as some of you might say that LOTR and TCON have magic as well, yes they have magic.  But they have SO very deep meanings of the bible, the Catholic church, Jesus's life, happenings in Jesus's life, they relate to things like that.  HP doesn't.  I'm not saying it has to to be a good book.  I'm saying that in defense for those of you who say it's just as good as LOTR because it has magic as well.  Just because it's interesting and fun, doesn't make it good for us.
[right][snapback]909668[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

you are absolutely right! i enjoy the movies a whole lot, but are they good for me? no! who needs them, but who doesn't enjoy them? they are entertaining!

I think the movies are awesome. I tried reading the 1st book, and I just didn't think I needed to waste my time on it. (plus I'm not much of a reader.) I think there are way better books out there.

yes it's entertaining, but don't you think its a waste of time to read something thats no good for you? Spiritual reading has the best merit, and LOTR is prolly good for you so I wouldn't call it a waste of time. ;)
Movies are ok, I like em.

goldenchild17

[quote name='brickchick' date='Oct 27 2004, 12:49 PM']but if they do get worse well, it'll be right there, easy to tell.
[/quote]
I don't care to go through 5 pages of responses. So all I will say is that I think the books are not particularly well written or very entertaining at all, and I do think they are bad and that we should not read them. As for the quote above, I believe it is not very often at all that evil is easy to see. I believe Satan often tries to cover evil with nice packaging, and that he can use even the least suspected sources for his evil plans. It is my belief that Harry Potter is one of these means. I don't plan to make judgment on those who read it(I won't even read the rest of the thread to see who here does read it), but that is what I will say on it.

that's good, I can agree with that. I don't like them, and have stated how I dont aleady. Satan has to make evil appeal, and most of the time it's through pleasure. So he has to give it some appeal and hide it or no one would do it. He's very smart. lol. Harry Potter just isn't a book I would recomend to anyone.

[quote name='*lil girl 4 jesus*' date='Mar 11 2006, 05:00 PM']dude, i love the series!!!!!! it HAS rocked my world.... :yes: :woot:
w000t!! :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :D: :D: :D:
[right][snapback]908990[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

EVERTHING rocks your world :lol:

Proud2BCatholic139

My friends still want me to go and see the movie, but I still dont' have interest. I think I will laugh.

*lil girl 4 jesus*

[quote name='notardillacid' date='Mar 16 2006, 11:08 PM']EVERTHING rocks your world :lol:
[right][snapback]913707[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
not EVERYTHING.lets see here........its.......um......... :coagulated milk: !!!!!!!
I.Hate.coagulated milk.

:P:

[quote name='uruviel' date='Mar 12 2006, 08:48 PM']yes well some of us like it.  I think it is also a matter of opinion and taste, how you percieve the books, and what you like.  I don't like them.  I've, again, stated how I don't like the juvanile series.  I don't think it has anything to think about spiritually and it doesn't relate to anything in terms of the Christian/Catholic faith as some of you might say that LOTR and TCON have magic as well, yes they have magic.  But they have SO very deep meanings of the bible, the Catholic church, Jesus's life, happenings in Jesus's life, they relate to things like that.  HP doesn't.  I'm not saying it has to to be a good book.  I'm saying that in defense for those of you who say it's just as good as LOTR because it has magic as well.  Just because it's interesting and fun, doesn't make it good for us.
[right][snapback]909668[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Well, there is a very interesting point of view presented on this in the book "Looking for God in Harry Potter" The book really made me rethink some of my assumptions about the series. But I still think Harry Potter should be read with a mature approach, simply because, unlike in CS. Lewis, the religious side is much harder to see, and there are the rule-breaking issues. I know little kids tend to imitate favorite characters, and I know many kids wouldn't be mature enough to understand that the [i]growth[/i] in Harry's character is what they should emulate. That, and the growth isn't always totally clear.