An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1296057370' post='2204553']
Boy, I wonder how LC is doing.
[/quote]

It looks like she was doing really well at Christmas time in the pictures. I visit her community's website every so often to see if anything new is posted. :)

TeresaBenedicta

Anybody heard from LC? I've been meaning to write but I'm so terrible with letter-writing... :cry2:

Random: A friend of mine ran into my sisters at the March for Life and they were all asking about me. :blush: I miss them so much. I feel legitimately homesick for the convent.

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1296075657' post='2204695']
Anybody heard from LC? I've been meaning to write but I'm so terrible with letter-writing... :cry2:

Random: A friend of mine ran into my sisters at the March for Life and they were all asking about me. :blush: I miss them so much. I feel legitimately homesick for the convent.
[/quote]

I sent her a letter for Christmas so its probably taking her a while to plot her revenge as Im sure the level of teasing it contained will not go unanswered.

franciscanheart

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' timestamp='1296052818' post='2204531']
+JMJ

Ha ha... I just found the nun paper doll's habits that I scanned in my computer a few years ago... I only have a Poor Clare and a Carmelite though (which shows that I was drawn to both at the time). It's one of those "your face here" kind of deals...

[img]http://grab.by/grabs/62e7a013b79cc5d40fca0766ef8eebec.png[/img] [img]http://grab.by/grabs/b6ac8c448bb395692fa03cf3fcd0143f.png[/img]

Sorry... the Carmelite is miniature...
[/quote]
Love this!

[img]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5136/5390879881_997beac006.jpg[/img]

franciscanheart

[quote name='Amy G.' timestamp='1293764011' post='2195347']
[url="http://www.religious-vocation.com/discerning_religious_vocation.html"]http://www.religious-vocation.com/discerning_religious_vocation.html[/url]

This is a good website for those discerning a religious vocation -- I especially liked the 8 Tips for choosing a religious community! :like:
[/quote]
Of the seven practical tips listed at the bottom of the linked page, number four caught me off guard. Is this common?

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' timestamp='1296080597' post='2204745']
:lol3: Awesome Hughey!
[/quote]
:P

franciscanheart

oh! question: why does the poor clare have four knots? what are they for? does the fourth have something to do with the cloister?

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='hugheyforlife' timestamp='1296081444' post='2204747']
Of the seven practical tips listed at the bottom of the linked page, number four caught me off guard. Is this common?
[/quote]

It's something I've been hearing more and more of lately (the Nashville Dominicans also give this advice). We are human and it's all too easy to fall in love and then quickly assume that marriage is our vocation. That's not necessarily the case. Having a religious calling does not preclude one from falling in love with a man (or woman). That being said, dating or spending inordinate amounts of time with members of the opposite sex [i]can[/i] confuse discernment. It doesn't always, but it can.

I think the idea is, if you feel even the inkling of a possible calling, give God the first chance and guard your heart until you discern that your vocation is [i]not[/i] religious life. God will be pleased with your generosity and if it turns out that you are indeed called to marriage, He will send you the right person-- He won't punish you for having guarded your heart for Him alone for a bit.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='hugheyforlife' timestamp='1296081525' post='2204748']
oh! question: why does the poor clare have four knots? what are they for? does the fourth have something to do with the cloister?
[/quote]

Yes! The vow of Enclosure!

franciscanheart

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1296083001' post='2204757']
It's something I've been hearing more and more of lately (the Nashville Dominicans also give this advice). We are human and it's all too easy to fall in love and then quickly assume that marriage is our vocation. That's not necessarily the case. Having a religious calling does not preclude one from falling in love with a man (or woman). That being said, dating or spending inordinate amounts of time with members of the opposite sex [i]can[/i] confuse discernment. It doesn't always, but it can.

I think the idea is, if you feel even the inkling of a possible calling, give God the first chance and guard your heart until you discern that your vocation is [i]not[/i] religious life. God will be pleased with your generosity and if it turns out that you are indeed called to marriage, He will send you the right person-- He won't punish you for having guarded your heart for Him alone for a bit.
[/quote]
This has been on my mind and heart all day and I was wondering if it had to do with that. This makes such perfect sense and is so good to hear, especially at this time in my life. I have so many male friends - friends with whom I spend a good deal of time - and it can be VERY distracting from my discernment. Thank you for sharing! :)

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' timestamp='1296091575' post='2204820']
Yes! The vow of Enclosure!
[/quote]
That's wonderful. :love: Thank you for teaching me. :)

Random thought of the day... I've asked for some information from some places, they're mailing it. Now I'm checking the mailbox obsessively. It definitely hasn't been long enough to get here yet. :crazy:

• 3 weeks later...
TeresaBenedicta

If will and desire were enough...

I'd be gone.

It's gone from overwhelming desire to... I just need be there. Now. A determinism that is stronger than that desire. Not to say that the desire wasn't strong. I didn't realize that anything could be stronger. But this determinism is. I don't know how to explain it.

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' timestamp='1296052818' post='2204531']
+JMJ

Ha ha... I just found the nun paper doll's habits that I scanned in my computer a few years ago... I only have a Poor Clare and a Carmelite though (which shows that I was drawn to both at the time). It's one of those "your face here" kind of deals...

[img]http://grab.by/grabs/62e7a013b79cc5d40fca0766ef8eebec.png[/img] [img]http://grab.by/grabs/b6ac8c448bb395692fa03cf3fcd0143f.png[/img]

Sorry... the Carmelite is miniature...
[/quote]

THose are neat. Where did you find those? Did they have priest and brother ones?