An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscans

franciscanheart

franciscanheart

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1300231036' post='2220980']
Alright, I'm going to call Sr. Francis and ask her why she hasn't called you back. LOL! J/K!

Did you know that it took her from May 2009 to October 2009 for her to call me back?!? They are so busy there! I had completely forgotten that I had sent in the "Come and See" interview form from their website. I filled it out and sent it in right after I saw the Sisters again. Sr. Maria Teresa was the one that helped me finally decide to do it. When Sr. Francis called, my mom answered the phone. When she gave me the message I was like :shock: ! Then I remembered that I had asked to go on retreat. When I finally called, I got to speak to Sr. Francesca first and then I called again a few months later when I finally got enough money for a plane ticket and talked to Sr. Francis. :)
[/quote]
:o :blink: :ohno:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1300231753' post='2220984']
:o :blink: :ohno:
[/quote]

It's no biggie. I wasn't the only one. A few of the other young ladies that went on retreat didn't hear back from her for a while either, so I didn't feel snubbed or anything. Plus, it's in God's time, not mine. It was an exercise in patience, I tell you. ;)

franciscanheart

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1300232452' post='2220996']
It's no biggie. I wasn't the only one. A few of the other young ladies that went on retreat didn't hear back from her for a while either, so I didn't feel snubbed or anything. Plus, it's in God's time, not mine. It was an exercise in patience, I tell you. ;)
[/quote]
I thought a couple weeks was a good timeframe. :P I can't remember how long it took to hear from Sister Clare, but I assure you it wasn't that long. ;)

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1300249751' post='2221081']
I thought a couple weeks was a good timeframe. :P I can't remember how long it took to hear from Sister Clare, but I assure you it wasn't that long. ;)
[/quote]

Is there any chance you can call if, say, a month goes by without hearing from them?

OnlySunshine

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1300250062' post='2221082']
Is there any chance you can call if, say, a month goes by without hearing from them?
[/quote]

LOL, after the retreatants had a good laugh with Sr. Francis, she told us that it was better if we called since they don't have a lot of time to sit down and write letters (or read, for that matter). When we were at the postulant house for a visit, Sr. Clare was laughing so much when she heard the story. I suppose when you are as busy as they are, the people that are interested in the order MUST be patient. Sr. Francis, I think, felt a little embarrassed about having made us wait so long, especially when I told her I had forgotten that I sent the retreat application in! :hehe:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1300249751' post='2221081']
[/quote]

Good! I think some of the girls thought Sr Francis was ignoring them or something. The only one, my roommate, didn't wait because her dad knew the Friars in Texas since he is a lay associate and he had his daughter in touch with the Sisters pretty darn quick. There was another girl who had been there several times but wanted to make sure that she was called before she made an application. I don't know what her status is, but it seemed like she was pretty sure at the end that she wanted to apply. I hope she did. :)

franciscanheart

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1300254601' post='2221097']
Good! I think some of the girls thought Sr Francis was ignoring them or something. The only one, my roommate, didn't wait because her dad knew the Friars in Texas since he is a lay associate and he had his daughter in touch with the Sisters pretty darn quick. There was another girl who had been there several times but wanted to make sure that she was called before she made an application. I don't know what her status is, but it seemed like she was pretty sure at the end that she wanted to apply. I hope she did. :)
[/quote]
You should look at the newsletter pictures! :) I still watch the women I met while there, through the newsletters. Sister Felicity, Sister Faustina, and Sister Veronica were all just candidates when I last visited. :proud:

I wonder if Sister Francis will be at Youth 2000. :think: Sister Clare was always there. :like:

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1300212522' post='2220907']
I get to see the CFRs in April. :clapping:
[/quote]

Ah! I'm going to be in NYC April 5-8. Any chance that coincides with your visit??

Our first ever interaction on phatmass was about the CFRs... that would be too amesome if we ended up there at the same time!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1300285357' post='2221135']
You should look at the newsletter pictures! :) I still watch the women I met while there, through the newsletters. Sister Felicity, Sister Faustina, and Sister Veronica were all just candidates when I last visited. :proud:

I wonder if Sister Francis will be at Youth 2000. :think: Sister Clare was always there. :like:
[/quote]

Sr. Joseph was the one who took us to the Youth 2000 in West Chester, NY during the retreat. It was a long drive, about 2 hours there and 2 hours back.

I can't count the number of times I've looked through their newsletter photos. It's so interesting to see all of their journeys. I wish they would update their website so bad! Maybe you could casually mention it while you are there? ;)

franciscanheart

[quote name='VoTeckam' timestamp='1300286864' post='2221138']
Ah! I'm going to be in NYC April 5-8. Any chance that coincides with your visit??

Our first ever interaction on phatmass was about the CFRs... that would be too amesome if we ended up there at the same time!
[/quote]
I won't be in NYC then :ohno: but rather in Fort Worth, Texas at the Youth2000 retreat. I wish!!

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1300289683' post='2221145']
Sr. Joseph was the one who took us to the Youth 2000 in West Chester, NY during the retreat. It was a long drive, about 2 hours there and 2 hours back.

I can't count the number of times I've looked through their newsletter photos. It's so interesting to see all of their journeys. I wish they would update their website so bad! Maybe you could casually mention it while you are there? ;)
[/quote]
:P Maybe

franciscanheart

Has anyone ever visited the Capuchin crypt? A couple friends of mine are in Rome right now and went yesterday.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1300311410' post='2221253']
Has anyone ever visited the Capuchin crypt? A couple friends of mine are in Rome right now and went yesterday.
[/quote]

Yes. I went with a group from my school as a trip as part of our study abroad course. It was somewhat small and more of tourist attraction and something to gawk at for most than a prayerful remembrance. Most people find it uber creepy, but I must be weird to have enjoyed it. It was a good reflection on death.

Edited by FutureNunJMJ

franciscanheart

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' timestamp='1300311710' post='2221254']
Yes. I went with a group from my school as a trip as part of our study abroad course. It was somewhat small and more of tourist attraction and something to gawk at for most than a prayerful remembrance. Most people find it uber creepy, but I must be weird to have enjoyed it. It was a good reflection on death.
[/quote]
My friends enjoyed it, too. :) I read a little bit about it, the history was fascinating. I think the most interesting part for me was that each body was only a part of the crypt for about 30 years!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1300312028' post='2221255']
My friends enjoyed it, too. :) I read a little bit about it, the history was fascinating. I think the most interesting part for me was that each body was only a part of the crypt for about 30 years!
[/quote]

You know more than I do then! I'm glad they enjoyed it. I think nearby the Capuchin Crypt is the purgatory 'museum'... I wish I knew about it when I was there. St. Peter in Chains was cool too :) I think that is in the area as well.

So, I'm curious, what are the "stages" of CFR discernment?

I'm just curious because I would think of a "Come and see" as a wide-ranging, open sort of thing that you register for because they need to know how many people to expect, and maybe if you're the DSMME they might fill up, but not something that you apply to and hope to be accepted.

I guess I think of going to a "Come and See" as Step 1 in discernment, and you seem to be several steps beyond that, so obviously they mean something different by it and I am curious because I am nosy like that.

:detective: