An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscans

franciscanheart

franciscanheart

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' timestamp='1300312727' post='2221262']
You know more than I do then! I'm glad they enjoyed it. I think nearby the Capuchin Crypt is the purgatory 'museum'... I wish I knew about it when I was there. St. Peter in Chains was cool too :) I think that is in the area as well.
[/quote]
I'll have to shoot them an email and let them know! :)

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1300312837' post='2221264']
So, I'm curious, what are the "stages" of CFR discernment?

I'm just curious because I would think of a "Come and see" as a wide-ranging, open sort of thing that you register for because they need to know how many people to expect, and maybe if you're the DSMME they might fill up, but not something that you apply to and hope to be accepted.

I guess I think of going to a "Come and See" as Step 1 in discernment, and you seem to be several steps beyond that, so obviously they mean something different by it and I am curious because I am nosy like that.

:detective:
[/quote]
You've got it right, actually. :blush: It's been five or six years since I've been in touch with the community about a potential vocation and call to their order. So, I sent a new "come and see" application to them to start that process again. It's been so long and God has brought me so far, I just figured it was good to start back at step one. When I hear back from Sister Francis, I will be sure to let her know about my last visit, though I did allude to it on my C&S app. :like: I don't know what the C&S apps are like with other communities, but this one is quite detailed! Here are two questions included in their app which necessarily provide the information you mention:

[quote]
What do you think is the next step for you in your discernment process?
If you discern that God is calling you, when could you see yourself entering?
[/quote]

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1300401532' post='2221438']
Anyone ever heard of or visited the Capuchin Sisters of Nazareth in Pennsylvania?
[/quote]

I've heard of them! I even have their phone number in my cell! Haha! But that's about the extent of what I know about them. One of my friends, now a Poor Claire in VA, said they were amazing and before she entered, she gave me their phone number. I've looked at their website once or twice and have always been intrigued by them... but I was pretty set in the direction of my discernment when coming across them.

franciscanheart

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1300402572' post='2221440']
I've heard of them! I even have their phone number in my cell! Haha! But that's about the extent of what I know about them. One of my friends, now a Poor Claire in VA, said they were amazing and before she entered, she gave me their phone number. I've looked at their website once or twice and have always been intrigued by them... but I was pretty set in the direction of my discernment when coming across them.
[/quote]
They seem, at least from their site, to be a very small, joyful order. Their surroundings are beautiful! :o

OnlySunshine

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1300402994' post='2221441']
They seem, at least from their site, to be a very small, joyful order. Their surroundings are beautiful! :o
[/quote]

I've heard of them, too. Did you know that they were founded by a former Sister from the CFRs?

franciscanheart

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1300411713' post='2221470']
I've heard of them, too. Did you know that they were founded by a former Sister from the CFRs?
[/quote]
:o No! That's amesome!! :proud:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1300426057' post='2221504']
:o No! That's amesome!! :proud:
[/quote]

Yeah, you can tell by their habits. The tunic part is very similar but it's brown instead of grey. The veil is different, though, but everything else is pretty much the same. :)

OnlySunshine

Oh, and they do something similar to the "burning bush" used at Youth 2000 retreats.

[img]http://www.penitents.org/cn_102_5551.JPG[/img]

franciscanheart

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1300432931' post='2221515']
Oh, and they do something similar to the "burning bush" used at Youth 2000 retreats.

[img]http://www.penitents.org/cn_102_5551.JPG[/img]
[/quote]
I saw that. :love: For a second I thought the picture I saw on their site WAS a Youth 2000 retreat. :blush:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1300459499' post='2221541']
I saw that. :love: For a second I thought the picture I saw on their site WAS a Youth 2000 retreat. :blush:
[/quote]

:hehe:

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

+JMJ

Sorry, a little random here, but I just realized that we named our two kittens very Franciscan names without realizing it. We have Frankie (short for Francis, yes?), our little boy cat who is a loveable push-over. And our little Antoinette (feminized version of Anthony) who is very spunky and doesn't take any croutons from anyone. I found this amusing. :dance:

OnlySunshine

I really think I have an attraction to the Franciscans. Ever since I met the Franciscans of the Renewal, I've had a love for the Order of St. Francis. Even the Poor Clare Colettine nuns with their bare feet and austere lifestyle are absolutely gorgeous. And I've never met one Franciscan who wasn't completely full of joy! :clapping:

franciscanheart

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' timestamp='1301081197' post='2223269']
+JMJ

Sorry, a little random here, but I just realized that we named our two kittens very Franciscan names without realizing it. We have Frankie (short for Francis, yes?), our little boy cat who is a loveable push-over. And our little Antoinette (feminized version of Anthony) who is very spunky and doesn't take any croutons from anyone. I found this amusing. :dance:
[/quote]
No apologies for random Franciscan stuff! :P We like it all!

franciscanheart

I think of Papa Francis and Mama Mary when striving to be more ladylike. I love them. :love: