An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Ppc

JTheresa

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='24 July 2010 - 03:53 PM' timestamp='1280004830' post='2147543']
I don't think we've made a final decision about wimples, especially if someone can find a comfortable, yet attractive one, so look around. However, I think the wimple will probably be optional.

I'm still worried that if I wore a wimple it will be covered with blueberry preserves. For me, eating is a "total body experience." I've already decided that I (and anyone else who wants to) will wear an official "refectory apron." However, it would be tough to cover a wimple with an apron. Wimples are actually quite flattering, especially on those who are old enough to start showing signs of age. However, I may have to "offer up" my vanity and not wear a wimple for practical reasons. I'm afraid I may be too old to learn how to "eat like an adult."

I still don't see a pin in the picture of the French Lady to keep her veil on--I'll have to look closer. I see the clasp to keep her cappa on, but not her veil.
[/quote]

:lol: @ eating is a total body experience. This statement reminds me of a a pic i have of me around age two with cherry pie all over my face and hair. Thankfully I'm not THAT messy anymore. Most of the time.

I doubt you'll be able to see the veil pin in any of the pics of the French Lady or any other Carmelite for that matter. It's only really noticeable, imo, when the light catches it in a certain way and it's not often a photo is going to pick it up. It was these occasional glimmers of light off the pin that kept catching my attention.

Divine Mercy 9999

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='24 July 2010 - 03:25 PM' timestamp='1280003141' post='2147537']
You are quite welcome to join us. Please post in this thread, we always need new ideas. Yes, it does appear that the habit will be some combination of darker blue and white. But, I agree, this coif not only looks uncomfortable, but high maintenance. I think we're going for simple when it comes to the habit. There is some disagreement about preferences in veil styles, but I think you can assume it will be simpler than this one.

The only requirements are that you are open-minded enough to live in a community of Augustinian/Benedictine/Carmelite/Dominican/Franciscan/Visitandine/Other. However, I'm not sure that Passonists, and others who desire a very penitential and austere life would be very happy. Also, we will wear the habit, so those who wish a community that wears regular street clothes might want to look elsewhere.

However, for those who like bloody pictures, there will be a chapel of the Crucifixion, and also a chapel (with thick stone walls) for those of the Carmelite persuasion so that they can engage in heavenly ectasies at any time of night and not keep the rest of us awake. (The chapel can have a side room with cots and a bathroom for those who want to stay all night.) Buckets will be provided for holy tears of joy. Those who want a life of heavy manual labor are welcome--there are always things to be done around a monastery. But, those who are not in the best of health are also welcome, and will make their own unique contributions to the community. Being Catholic is not a requirement, but appreciation and respect for the Catholic church is. Also, a sense of humor is an absolute must. Someone who takes themselves very seriously would not be happy.

There will be no psychological testing as a requirement to enter, because I think we're all a little crazy. I know a Jesuit priest (in fact, he is the ONLY priest I know--he performed my wedding). He is both a priest and a professor of clinical psychology. I think he must be getting near retirement age, and might enjoy the "challenge" of our community. The only trouble I can forsee is that Jesuits place a high value on living in community, so he might not join us unless there is a Jesuit community within a reasonable distance. But, since this is an imaginary community anyway, we can locate it where there is both a Jesuit community and an Anglo-Catholic congregation for me, nearby, as well as some type of active apostolate for those Sisters who are called to that. The horarium will be basically traditional, but with some flexibility built in for those who need it for health and other reasons.

So, welcome. Start thinking about what religious name you want. I am officially Sister Mary Polycarp of the Late Rising, but Sister P is sufficient. Since I have decided to be Sister Polycarp, the name Sister Rosary Bede is now available. I'm not positive, but I think Sister Mary Christmas is probably also available, as well.

I am officially the community librarian/archivist, as well as the resident opinionated loudmouth (although I am working on humility and "offering it up"--I am more successful with the first, and a dismal failure with the second).
[/quote]

Thank You!!!

About the pic I posted - I love the color of the habit mostly. The headgear is more than kinda awkward. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img] Someone mentioned something like the Nashville Dominicans? That could be nice... .

Do we have an Infirmary yet? That could be my contribution.

As far as names, I'll have to think on it - Sister Carmel of the Visitation maybe? Or Sister Bertrille?

Edited by Divine Mercy 9999

I've never been able to identify the nuns who wore the yellow and lavender habits, but they were lovely colors
Yes my scooter is very quiet, very economical, and very cute :P
My sons are all grown up (but still quite noisy). Now we're working on grandchildren.

Since St. Benedict is the patron of those with kidney disease and I am a nephrology nurse, I'd like to be Sr. Benedicta of the Little Red Scooter. How's that?

linnie

Edited by linnie

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='linnie' date='24 July 2010 - 06:19 PM' timestamp='1280013593' post='2147600']
I've never been able to identify the nuns who wore the yellow and lavender habits, but they were lovely colors
Yes my scooter is very quiet, very economical, and very cute [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/P.gif[/img]
My sons are all grown up (but still quite noisy). Now we're working on grandchildren.

Since St. Benedict is the patron of those with kidney disease and I am a nephrology nurse, I'd like to be Sr. Benedicta of the Little Red Scooter. How's that?

linnie
[/quote]

That is an excellent religious name. (If someone else has asked to be Sister Benedicta and I forgot, speak up.) And, we definitely need a nurse in the community. Grandchildren are even better than children, because they are not around all the time, and they are perfect in every way. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif[/img]

I can imagine the yellow habits and the lavender habits were lovely. They are such cheerful colors. Just looking at them makes me happy. I do love blue, however, and it is a good compromise color, because it is is Mary's color.

I hadn't thought of this before, but instead of the plain work aprons you see in many communities, we could have work aprons in different cheerful colors. The Sisters who live across the street from me wear work aprons that have been donated to the community, so the work aprons are all different. (The Sisters have lots of small ways that that they live out their vow of poverty. And, there is a guild of women in the parish a few blocks away whose only purpose to to make sure the Sisters, especially the elderly Sisters, have everything they need.) I like seeing Sister Helen in a cheerful work apron. I bet it makes working in the kitchen easier, too. (Sister Helen doesn't work in the kitchen all the time, but often helps out after a meal.)

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Hilde' date='24 July 2010 - 04:52 PM' timestamp='1280004756' post='2147541']
Scooters for transportation is a great idea!!!! I want a vespa. Preferably pink, or maybe light blue to go with the habit.
[/quote]

I'd like a vespa as well. That way, I can ride it and say, "Ciao!" :D

Oh, and it'll be a lime green one. :woot:

Divine Mercy 9999

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='24 July 2010 - 07:55 PM' timestamp='1280019349' post='2147651']
I'd like a vespa as well. That way, I can ride it and say, "Ciao!" [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_grin.gif[/img]

Oh, and it'll be a lime green one. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/woot.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Don't know if these are green, but they look fun. :)

[img]http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/56194391.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=45B0EB3381F7834D080029B1E79B65FA54285424660A35E5F4CFCD939224E6EC[/img]

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Hilde' date='24 July 2010 - 06:01 PM' timestamp='1280012484' post='2147591']
Oh I have to come up with a name for myself

hmm....maybe Sr.Hildegaard Marie-Bernadette of....of what exactly?
[/quote]

......of the Land of Ice and Snow?

......of the Viking Boat?

.......of the Strawberry Daiquiri?

IgnatiusofLoyola

Your mention of scooters made me think that, for getting around inside the monastery inself, maybe I could get one of those small Sedgway motorized stand-up scooters. They never caught on in popularity, but for getting from place to place without the energy of walking (or the hassle of a wheelchair) they seem like a great idea. I was thinking I would never be able to go to Disney World again without a wheelchair, but it would be a hassle because I would get up and people would get mad that I got special "wheelchair treatment" because I can stand and walk, just not walk that far, or without stopping to rest a lot. I doubt that Disney would ever allow a stand-up scooter at Disney World, but then again, I've been to Disney World many times, so I can live if I don't go again.

We'll be sure to design the Monastery with wide corridors and high ceilings, to give a spacious feel, especially for those nuns who decide to be cloistered. So, maybe I could use a small stand-up motorized scooter without safety problems (like mowing down the other Sisters).

We've already decided that the Monastery will have at least a couple of elevators (for convenience, and also to comply with U.S. ADA regulations), so I won't have to worry about stairs. I can no longer climb a flight of stairs without going slowly and resting frequently--but I'm better some days than others, and I've found a medication that helps A LOT!

And, besides the fact that I love to swim, my doctors have recommended swimming as probably the best way for me to get at least some exercise. (I'll let the rest of you use the pool, too. LOL. It will be indoors, but will have large, sliding doors that can be opened in the summer. A sliding roof would be wondeful, but maybe too much of a luxury, and not a requirement.)

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Hilde' date='24 July 2010 - 09:01 PM' timestamp='1280023282' post='2147682']
Do we need swimwear habits then?
[/quote]

As I mentioned earlier, since we would not have coed swimming, I don't see why we couldn't order very modest bathing suits from Lands' End. (They give a good price if you buy in bulk--even if you order lots of different sizes.)

Personally, I don't see the need for a Muslim swimsuit if there are no men around. (We could design the pool with shades for the windows for the times that there might be a man on the property doing repairs, etc.) Also, one post said that the Muslim bathing outfits are expensive, while, if we buy from Lands' End they would be relatively inexpensive. We could order them in "PPC blue." We could also order modest cover-ups--even floor-length--for when we get out of the pool, then change back into the habit.

If we allowed male guests in the pool at certain times, we could arrange for the shades on the pool windows to be closed, and Sisters would not use the pool at that time. (Unless it was a Sister who was swimming with her husband and/or children/grandchildren.) But, that wouldn't be often, and we would give advance warning to the other Sisters. We could also arrange with the architect for the pool to be placed on the outer edge of the monastery, so that Sisters would not normally walk by the pool or could easily take another route if there were male guests.

I still vote that the pool be part of the Monastery itself, because I think it would get used more often for exercise if it were quickly accessible--especially in winter, which is when we would need the pool for exercise the most.

Another possibility if we expected more frequent guests (such as retreats etc.) would be to have a second pool outside the monastery walls, but on the monastery grounds, and it would be designed so that Sisters would easily avoid that area.

If others have different ideas, speak up!

I like the 50's kind of one pieces that have like a hot pant bottom. They would be easy to swim in, and modest.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Hilde' date='24 July 2010 - 09:29 PM' timestamp='1280024995' post='2147686']
I like the 50's kind of one pieces that have like a hot pant bottom. They would be easy to swim in, and modest.
[/quote]

That's one possibility. Personally, I am a fan of the tankini, because it is as modest as a one-piece, but is more practical for "using the facilities." One piece bathing suits can be difficult for that. Many Lands' End suits come with matching skirts and shorts of various lengths.

It's getting to the end of the swimsuit season for retailers, so Lands' End doesn't have nearly as many options now as it did early in the spring, when it had a very impressive collection of modest swimsuits that didn't look like "old-lady" suits. However, the benefit of "sale season" is that many suits are half price. If you want to look at what I'm talking about, it's landsend.com, but from what I have seen, their selection right now is much less than it was in March and April.

And, if the community can agree on a style of suit, Lands' End gives bulk discount orders. Many times swim teams, etc. will order identical suits in varying sizes (including both petite and Women's sizes).

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='24 July 2010 - 03:25 PM' timestamp='1280003141' post='2147537']

So, welcome. Start thinking about what religious name you want. I am officially Sister Mary Polycarp of the Late Rising, but Sister P is sufficient. Since I have decided to be Sister Polycarp, the name Sister Rosary Bede is now available. I'm not positive, but I think Sister Mary Christmas is probably also available, as well.

[/quote]

Yes the name of Sister Mary Christmas is up for grabs.