An Old School Catholic Message Board

To Slap Or Not To Slap?

Lil Red

Slap-happy  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1284160428' post='2171574']
'new'?
[/quote]

The thorough safeguards and background checks only begun [url="http://www.usccb.org/ocyp/charter.pdf"]within the past 8 years[/url] can be rightly called "new." And long overdue.

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

[quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1284167172' post='2171614']
The thorough safeguards and background checks only begun [url="http://www.usccb.org/ocyp/charter.pdf"]within the past 8 years[/url] can be rightly called "new." And long overdue.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]
i would agree that as a whole, the standards are new.

many dioceses have long been doing background checks, though.

[quote name='iam_terry fc' timestamp='1284145735' post='2171467']
Is there a place on our earth were Children haven't been abused by Catholic priests and other church members?
[/quote]

Actually I am sure there are many such places. I know of no one in my very large Irish Catholic family who was ever abused by any religious, keep in mind that I have mother had six siblings and my father had four and I have nearly 50 first cousins with families spread out over 20 states. If you were to count all my second cousins, My dad's side over a hundred and my mom many more that seems like a fair number of safe places, at least where our extended family hangs out.

ed

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1284157240' post='2171562']
:blink:
[/quote]
'Iam_terry fc' has a chip on teh shoulder not the mod, yeah! :blush:

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1283890947' post='2169280']
If you are asking whether it is ever ok for a priest to slap a layperson, i ask, is it ever appropriate for a layperson to slap a priest?
[/quote]

Maybe someone already mentioned this, but doesn't that incur an automatic excommunication?

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1284064957' post='2171001']
The desecration of the Eucharist is most assuredly a very grave offense against God.

While the details are vague, and there are a few stories in circulation (I think it was Ice who posted a few of them), it is at least clear that the young man was slapped. Perhaps you define that as abuse, but in my opinion you will have a hard time finding someone who agrees. I am sure that even those who disagree with the slap would not go so far as to call it "abuse".
[/quote]

Well said.

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1284060547' post='2170969']
All sin hurts and offends God. Including blasphemy.

On blasphemy, the [i]Catechism[/i] states:

[b]2148[/b] Blasphemy is directly opposed to the second commandment. It consists in uttering against God - inwardly or outwardly - words of hatred, reproach, or defiance; in speaking ill of God; in failing in respect toward him in one's speech; in misusing God's name. St. James condemns those "who blaspheme that honorable name [of Jesus] by which you are called." The prohibition of blasphemy extends to language against Christ's Church, the saints, and sacred things. It is also blasphemous to make use of God's name to cover up criminal practices, to reduce peoples to servitude, to torture persons or put them to death. The misuse of God's name to commit a crime can provoke others to repudiate religion.

Blasphemy is contrary to the respect due God and his holy name. It is in itself a grave sin.

On sin, the [i]Catechism[/i] states,

[b]1850[/b] Sin is an offense against God: "Against you, you alone, have I sinned, and done that which is evil in your sight." Sin sets itself against God's love for us and turns our hearts away from it. Like the first sin, it is disobedience, a revolt against God through the will to become "like gods, knowing and determining good and evil. Sin is thus "love of oneself even to contempt of God." In this proud self- exaltation, sin is diametrically opposed to the obedience of Jesus, which achieves our salvation.
[/quote]

Nice - 2 for 2!