An Old School Catholic Message Board

To Slap Or Not To Slap?

Lil Red

Slap-happy  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1284066480' post='2171029']
The cake is a lie
[/quote]

JMJ
I ate a lemon meringue pie today. It was good :like:

[quote name='Tridenteen' timestamp='1284066529' post='2171030']
JMJ
I ate a lemon meringue pie today. It was good :like:
[/quote]

I LOVE lemon meringue :D

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1284066733' post='2171039']
I LOVE lemon meringue :D
[/quote]

JMJ
I had a milkshake also. And then it hit me! Ice cream was a Divine Inspiration, It makes man happy, in a non sinful way, and so.....

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1284066480' post='2171029']
The cake is a lie
[/quote]
:crazy: you need help. do you not realize what the mods get bribed with???

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1284066868' post='2171041']
:crazy: you need help.
[/quote]

:lol: You just now figured this out Red? :P

[quote]
JMJ
I had a milkshake also. And then it hit me! Ice cream was a Divine Inspiration, It makes man happy, in a non sinful way, and so..... [/quote]

^_^

Edited by Selah

Guest iam_terry fc

@

[b] [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showuser=9622"]Sternhauser[/url][/b]
Blasphemy, as someone pointed out, is nearly as evil a sin as murder. (The original poster said it was worse.)

religious fundamentalists and fanatics incarcerate women,
mutilate genitals, amputate hands, murder, bomb and terrorise in the name of their god.
It is a mistake to think that our own sissy clerics would never behave like this.
it is not so long in historical terms since Christian priests were burning heretics at the stake or
whipping people slitting their ears for having extra-marital sex, or preaching that masturbation is worse than rape because
at least the rape can result in pregnancy. To this day adulterers are stoned to death in certain Muslim countries;
if the priests were still on top in the once-Christian world, who can say it would be different?
If one looked to religions to provide historical examples of the moral life in practice, one would have to forget a great deal of immorality.

[quote name='iam_terry fc' timestamp='1284069424' post='2171064']
@

[b] [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showuser=9622"]Sternhauser[/url][/b]
Blasphemy, as someone pointed out, is nearly as evil a sin as murder. (The original poster said it was worse.)

religious fundamentalists and fanatics incarcerate women,
mutilate genitals, amputate hands, murder, bomb and terrorise in the name of their god.
It is a mistake to think that our own sissy clerics would never behave like this.
it is not so long in historical terms since Christian priests were burning heretics at the stake or
whipping people slitting their ears for having extra-marital sex, or preaching that masturbation is worse than rape because
at least the rape can result in pregnancy. To this day adulterers are stoned to death in certain Muslim countries;
if the priests were still on top in the once-Christian world, who can say it would be different?
If one looked to religions to provide historical examples of the moral life in practice, one would have to forget a great deal of immorality.
[/quote]

[img]http://images.memegenerator.net/why-you-mad/ImageMacro/2142265/lol-why-u-mad-tho.jpg[/img]

Guest iam_terry fc

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1284064957' post='2171001']
The desecration of the Eucharist is most assuredly a very grave offense against God.

While the details are vague, and there are a few stories in circulation (I think it was Ice who posted a few of them), it is at least clear that the young man was slapped. Perhaps you define that as abuse, but in my opinion you will have a hard time finding someone who agrees. I am sure that even those who disagree with the slap would not go so far as to call it "abuse".
[/quote]

I will have a hard time finding someone who agrees?

[mod]inappropriate link --ICP[/mod]

I just want to know what the hell anything in your list has to do with a spanish priest getting mad at someone treating something sacred with such disrespect? Are you really gonna sit there and tell me you don't understand?

Even my Hellenic Athena worshipping friends get it.

Guest iam_terry fc

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1284070357' post='2171071']
I just want to know what the hell anything in your list has to do with a spanish priest getting mad at someone treating something sacred with such disrespect? Are you really gonna sit there and tell me you don't understand?

Even my Hellenic Athena worshipping friends get it.
[/quote]

[i] The abusing of child by a priest [/i]

HisChildForever

[quote name='iam_terry fc' timestamp='1284070144' post='2171070']
I will have a hard time finding someone who agrees?

[/quote]

That is an absolutely ridiculous blog post. Stern was being sarcastic, not serious - the author of this article completely took his comment out of context. Judging by the posts Stern has made in this thread (and many of his posts in general), and his current discussion with me, I think it is quite clear that he disapproves of the slap. I am just smh (shaking my head) at that blog post.

Edited by Nihil Obstat
Edited to remove link.

[quote]The abusing of child by a priest [/quote]

The article says "young man". He could be anywhere from 16 to 25.

And anyhow, it wasn't abuse. He was slapped. We don't even know how hard.

Something tells me the guy will survive.

[quote]That is an absolutely ridiculous blog post. Stern was being sarcastic, not serious - the author of this article completely took his comment out of context. Judging by the posts Stern has made in this thread (and many of his posts in general), and his current discussion with me, I think it is quite clear that he disapproves of the slap. I am just smh (shaking my head) at that blog post. [/quote]

LOL. Stern is popular! :D

Edited by Selah

HisChildForever

[quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1284065755' post='2171012']
I have no doubt the priest slapped the young man out of shock and anger, and that he was barely in control of his actions. His culpability is not my concern.

My concern is this: what is any act of violence against a blasphemer intended to accomplish? You have posited that the public display of slapping a blasphemer can be a public display of "discipline." You say it can be intended to convey the seriousness of the offense to the offender and to others. May I morally convey the seriousness of adultery by stoning an adulterer or an adulteress to death? May I licitly convey the seriousness of treason by disemboweling traitors and hanging them up by their heels for public display? Would it be wrong to do that? Would it be wrong to kill a blasphemer to convey the seriousness of his sin to a congregation?

You may claim that I am going beyond the scope of this incident. That is not the case. Blasphemy, as someone pointed out, is nearly as evil a sin as murder. (The original poster said it was worse.)

If you intend to use physical violence as a means of convincing people of an idea, you are espousing coercion of the will itself.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

I would like to read up on blasphemy being as evil (or nearly as evil) as murder, because I have never come across that before and will admit that I am ignorant of it. With what knowledge I do have, however, I will comment that adultery does not warrant capital punishment (remember that Christ Himself stopped a stoning) and if treason does warrant it, the traitor would not be tortured, mutilated, and disrespected.