Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Slap-happy  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

Groo the Wanderer
Posted (edited)
:bravo:

pwned! Edited by Groo the Wanderer
Ash Wednesday
Posted

Would have voted "YES but every situation is different"

But it was not there. Ergo, I am a big, steamy waffle with butter and real Canadian maple syrup on top.

Posted

[quote name='Tridenteen' timestamp='1283956598' post='2169875']
JMJ
I don't know how you consistently try to start arguements over things that no one else comments about, and still got a church scholar badge
[/quote]
I was going to comment on it as well, he just beat me to it.

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1283965705' post='2170049']
I was going to comment on it as well, he just beat me to it.
[/quote]

I third it.

Posted

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1283969723' post='2170092']
I third it.
[/quote]
fourth it.

when i used to start my posts with +JMJ+ - it was to remind myself that everything I wrote i was asking the intercession of the Holy Family in charitably guiding my words.

IgnatiusofLoyola
Posted (edited)

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' timestamp='1283960685' post='2169936']
Would have voted "YES but every situation is different"

But it was not there. Ergo, I am a big, steamy waffle with butter and real Canadian maple syrup on top.
[/quote]

I don't think your opinion makes you a waffler. It's simply acknowledging that every situation and every person IS different. No one who has posted so far has disagreed that the desecration of the Eucharist is an action that warranted immediate action by the priest.

But, there have been a lot of different opinions about how the priest acted. To me, this is not waffling--it is that while the end result is the same, that is, that there should be no tolerance for desecration of the Eucharist, there are a number of ways the priest could have handled it, depending on the specific circumstances such as the age of the young man in question and the young man's "history" of past behavior. And, while some later posts have given us more information, at least to me, there are still a lot of unanswered questions.

I'm not seeing disagreement among posters about what kinds of behavior should be expected from children and young adults. But, until people become robots who are all identical, there will be different ways to reach the end goal.

So, to me, it is not "waffling" to say "it depends"--it is simply reflecting the reality that children, young people, and their parents are all different. And, the views of individual local "cultures" on the best ways to raise children and young adults, as well as "cultural" expectations about the role and behavior of a priest, are always going to have a strong influence.

Personally, I've learned a lot from this thread, including learning a lot about Catholicism.

Later Addition: Thank-you to IcePrincess and Paddington for finding us whatever additional information is available on this specific incident. It took extra time, and you faced some tough language barriers. It sounds as if there is more to the incident than we had heard before, and there are still unanswered questions. But, I still appreciate the extra effort you took to find whatever information was available--that wasn't an easy or quick task.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola
Posted

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1283970261' post='2170101']
fourth it.

[/quote]
fifth it.

Posted

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1283970261' post='2170101']
fourth it.

when i used to start my posts with +JMJ+ - it was to remind myself that everything I wrote i was asking the intercession of the Holy Family in charitably guiding my words.
[/quote]
not that i always succeeded. luckily i can go back and edit my posts when i feel remorse.

Posted

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1283972354' post='2170135']
not that i always succeeded. luckily i can go back and edit my posts when i feel remorse.
[/quote]
Well, if she would use it as a learning, growing, and maturing tool; I would humbly offer my services to her to that end... I did it for Benn, I would be happy to do it for her.

Posted

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1283972571' post='2170137']
Well, if she would use it as a learning, growing, and maturing tool; I would humbly offer my services to her to that end... I did it for Benn, I would be happy to do it for her.
[/quote]
that's good on you.

HisChildForever
Posted

[quote name='Tridenteen' timestamp='1283956598' post='2169875']
JMJ
I don't know how you consistently try to start arguements over things that no one else comments about, and still got a church scholar badge
[/quote]

It would be best to ignore such comments.

Posted

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1283973380' post='2170144']
It would be best to ignore such comments.
[/quote]

There seems to be a lot of such comments

Posted

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1283973380' post='2170144']
It would be best to ignore such comments.
[/quote]
that comment was unneccessary.

HisChildForever
Posted

[quote name='jaime (the artist formerly known as hot stuff)' timestamp='1283973858' post='2170148']
There seems to be a lot of such comments
[/quote]

Yes, lately I have been trying to ignore them.

Posted

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1283974029' post='2170153']
Yes, lately I have been trying to ignore them.
[/quote]
that's good on you

Posted

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1283974001' post='2170151']
that comment was [s]unneccessary[/s]. [color="#ff00ff"]unnecessary[/color]
[/quote]

your face is unnecessary.






:|






too soon?

Posted

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1283974029' post='2170153']Yes, lately I have been trying to ignore them.[/quote] :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Posted

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1283974281' post='2170157']
your face is unnecessary.






:|






too soon?
[/quote]


never too soon, bro.

well played.

Posted

JL,

you wish your face was unnecessary.
Too bad your face will never be unnecessary [i]in your life[/i]

Posted

The more I think about this, the more I am thinking this little punk deserved it. I dunno. I had a change of heart I guess

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...