An Old School Catholic Message Board

To Slap Or Not To Slap?

Lil Red

Slap-happy  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think the offender should be taken aside in private and firmly scolded. I disagree with a Priest hitting this person. This person should publicly apologize and make reparation for the offence.

It reminds me of a story of a Religious Sister that would take the Eucharistic Jesus into her cell, and abuse Him. After a while, the Eucharistic Jesus appeared as Child Jesus, with bruises all over. He asked her why she was doing that to Him. If I remember the story right, I think the Sister stopped doing this to Him after seeing Him as a Child.

It's a horrible offense, but even still, God is so merciful.

What might have been wrong with that person? Were they mentally ill? Something else?

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1283980098' post='2170241']
It reminds me of a story of a Religious Sister that would take the Eucharistic Jesus into her cell, and abuse Him. After a while, the Eucharistic Jesus appeared as Child Jesus, with bruises all over. He asked her why she was doing that to Him. If I remember the story right, I think the Sister stopped doing this to Him after seeing Him as a Child.

[/quote]
:blink:

...what the heck order was she with!? :huh:

[quote]It reminds me of a story of a Religious Sister that would take the Eucharistic Jesus into her cell, and abuse Him. After a while, the Eucharistic Jesus appeared as Child Jesus, with bruises all over. He asked her why she was doing that to Him. If I remember the story right, I think the Sister stopped doing this to Him after seeing Him as a Child.[/quote]

Aww :( In cases like these, then, it makes me think, shouldn't we react in this way, asking why he/she is doing this?

I mean, I do like slapping people...but I dunno. I just don't know how I feel about this. AGGGGHHH!!!!

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1283980398' post='2170246']
:blink:

...what the heck order was she with!? :huh:
[/quote]

I don't remember. A Sister with an order I trying out had *read* about this story and recounted it at meal time. My face was grimaced while hearing the story, and I remember the Sister stopping to point this out, heh.

Edited by JoyfulLife

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1283980584' post='2170247']
I mean, I do like slapping people...but I dunno. I just don't know how I feel about this. AGGGGHHH!!!!
[/quote]

It shouldn't be about how you "feel." It should be about how you think. Emotion has its place, but it is a lower place than logic. And it should [i]never[/i] be allowed to influence our actions in any way that is incompatible with right reason.

~Sternhauser

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1283978787' post='2170223']
you are such a waffler...

feel the disdain!!

JMJ
[/quote]

[quote name='Selah' timestamp='1283978927' post='2170226']
:cry2:
[/quote]

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1283979350' post='2170233']
watch out... i'll call you french next..

i am pretty heartless.
[/quote]

Selah--At least he didn't call you a hippie.

Jesus Christ made a whip of cords and drove out the money-changers from the temple courtyard for profaning His Father's house.

How much worse is it for people to walk into God's House and deliberately blaspheme the Body of Christ, the Only-Begotten Son of God!

I think a slap is rather mild in this case.
The bleeding heart Catholics who apparently place a higher priority on the feelings or whatever of the blasphemer than on reverence to the Body of Christ have very strange priorities, to say the least.

And for those whining about "charity," true charity does not always mean being "nice" and mollycoddling evil-doers. We need to consider the salvation of souls when talking about "charity." The boy definitely needed to have some sense slapped into him. The priest's slap may very well have been the most charitable thing anyone has done for him.

The kid'll live (sore cheek or no). Get over it.

[quote name='Socrates' timestamp='1284053882' post='2170888']
Jesus Christ made a whip of cords and drove out the money-changers from the temple courtyard for profaning His Father's house.

How much worse is it for people to walk into God's House and deliberately blaspheme the Body of Christ, the Only-Begotten Son of God!

I think a slap is rather mild in this case.
The bleeding heart Catholics who apparently place a higher priority on the feelings or whatever of the blasphemer than on reverence to the Body of Christ have very strange priorities, to say the least.

And for those whining about "charity," true charity does not always mean being "nice" and mollycoddling evil-doers. We need to consider the salvation of souls when talking about "charity." The boy definitely needed to have some sense slapped into him. The priest's slap may very well have been the most charitable thing anyone has done for him.

The kid'll live (sore cheek or no). Get over it.
[/quote]

JMJ
amen.

Referring to Jesus and the moneychangers is not a good argument. What you have there is a God rebuking people who were defiling His House.

The priest who did the slapping acts, in the sacramental life, as an [i]alter Christus,[/i] but he is not God. So he does not have the authority to do everything that God does. Whether he had the authority in this case, is another question. But you cannot just say "well Jesus did it, therefore ..." It is more complicated than that.

Its also interesting to think about the sin of blasphemy. Why is it so bad? Who does it hurt? Certainly not God. His goodness, glory, majesty, etc. are entirely undiminished by a human being's blaspheming. Blasphemy damages the person who does it, not God. And so when it comes down to correction, the blasphemer really is the person we should be concerned with; the priority, in other words-- him and whomever in the community may be led astray by his sin.

So, the blasphemer's feelings really do matter a lot. How will he react emotionally to a physical correction? Will it bring home to him the gravity of his sin? Or will it confirm him in his hatred of God and the His representatives? [b]Whether the kid "lives" or not is very much in question[/b]. This slapping incident will no doubt play a definite role in either his salvation or damnation. Undertaking the correction of sin is a serious business, one that probably should not be attempted in the heat of the moment, or in anger.

Edited by Lilllabettt

HisChildForever

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1284057626' post='2170947']
Its also interesting to think about the sin of blasphemy. Why is it so bad? Who does it hurt? Certainly not God. His goodness, glory, majesty, etc. are entirely undiminished by a human being's blaspheming. Blasphemy damages the person who does it, not God. And so when it comes down to correction, the blasphemer really is the person we should be concerned with; the priority, in other words-- him and whomever in the community may be led astray by his sin.
[/quote]

All sin hurts and offends God. Including blasphemy.

On blasphemy, the [i]Catechism[/i] states:

[b]2148[/b] Blasphemy is directly opposed to the second commandment. It consists in uttering against God - inwardly or outwardly - words of hatred, reproach, or defiance; in speaking ill of God; in failing in respect toward him in one's speech; in misusing God's name. St. James condemns those "who blaspheme that honorable name [of Jesus] by which you are called." The prohibition of blasphemy extends to language against Christ's Church, the saints, and sacred things. It is also blasphemous to make use of God's name to cover up criminal practices, to reduce peoples to servitude, to torture persons or put them to death. The misuse of God's name to commit a crime can provoke others to repudiate religion.

Blasphemy is contrary to the respect due God and his holy name. It is in itself a grave sin.

On sin, the [i]Catechism[/i] states,

[b]1850[/b] Sin is an offense against God: "Against you, you alone, have I sinned, and done that which is evil in your sight." Sin sets itself against God's love for us and turns our hearts away from it. Like the first sin, it is disobedience, a revolt against God through the will to become "like gods, knowing and determining good and evil. Sin is thus "love of oneself even to contempt of God." In this proud self- exaltation, sin is diametrically opposed to the obedience of Jesus, which achieves our salvation.

Sin can't "hurt" God. It does offend Him, but in no way does it damage Him. We should all be concerned about making sure the Eucharist receives glory and not insult. It's highly doubtful that God is properly glorified through violence. People keep bringing up Jesus' behavior in the temple with the moneychangers - implying that we do well to imitate Him in His violence and wrath. I think it is better to imitate Jesus through His direct command to turn the other cheek. He told us to take up the Cross and follow Him, not to take up the whip and beat other sinners.