An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestants Going To Hell

Alot of them ? Esspecially the ones that stay in their church once they realise the Catholic Church is the true church. That's an unforgivable sin right ? Sure way to hell for eternity.

Edited by Guest

I don't make a habit of saying anyone is going to hell, because really, the only one that truly knows their heart is God. We can't know. All we can do is hope and pray.

If one knew that the Catholic Church is the Truth, then rejecting her would constitute mortal sin, [u]provided that the obvious parameters were in place[/u].
If one dies in a state of mortal sin, they go to hell.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1295815027' post='2203512']
If one knew that the Catholic Church is the Truth, then rejecting her would constitute mortal sin, [u]provided that the obvious parameters were in place[/u].
If one dies in a state of mortal sin, they go to hell.
[/quote]
So they could believe and have faith n go to protestant church their whole life and repent of their sins yet they would still end up in hell.

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1295816238' post='2203526']
So they could believe and have faith n go to protestant church their whole life and repent of their sins yet they would still end up in hell.
[/quote]
If they know that the Catholic Church is the true Church, and reject Her anyway, that is a mortal sin provided they do so with full knowledge and consent. In that case it's not really accurate to say that they have faith. What faith is that, that rejects what one knows to be true? They haven't repented of their sins either. The sin that cannot be forgiven is exactly what you describe. The rejection of the Church and Her saving power.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1295816556' post='2203530']
If they know that the Catholic Church is the true Church, and reject Her anyway, that is a mortal sin provided they do so with full knowledge and consent. In that case it's not really accurate to say that they have faith. What faith is that, that rejects what one knows to be true? They haven't repented of their sins either. The sin that cannot be forgiven is exactly what you describe. The rejection of the Church and Her saving power.
[/quote]
That's interesting. I would say a lot of protestants are in this boat. Probally 70 percent.

It is not our place to judge someone. We are to serve the needs of the Church today, be active participants in the up-building of God's Kingdom. We are to show mercy and compassion toward all and constantly work to change our own hearts, minds and actions to be one with Christ. We should pray for our separated brethren.

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1295816858' post='2203538']
That's interesting. I would say a lot of protestants are in this boat. Probally 70 percent.
[/quote]
I don't think we can speculate on the full knowledge part. Objectively it is grave matter (first condition), and most adult Protestants are so through a free choice (third condition), but I think it's necessarily impossible for us to ever know if the second condition of full knowledge is present.

[quote name='Santa Cruz' timestamp='1295816882' post='2203539']
It is not our place to judge someone. We are to serve the needs of the Church today, be active participants in the up-building of God's Kingdom. We are to show mercy and compassion toward all and constantly work to change our own hearts, minds and actions to be one with Christ. We should pray for our separated brethren.
[/quote]
I'm not judging anyone. Just asking a tough question.

It is not given to everyone to know the Truth in its fullness, however, not knowing the Truth in its fullness does not give you a ticket to hell.
All Catholics, although they do their best to follow the fullness of Truth, do not suceed.

The way I look at it, I hold dear to the Truth as it is given to me, wish all had it in the same or greater proportion and strive to show the True way as much as it is given to do so for a poor wretch like me.

[quote name='Didacus' timestamp='1295817030' post='2203543']
It is not given to everyone to know the Truth in its fullness, however, not knowing the Truth in its fullness does not give you a ticket to hell.
All Catholics, although they do their best to follow the fullness of Truth, do not suceed.

The way I look at it, I hold dear to the Truth as it is given to me, wish all had it in the same or greater proportion and strive to show the True way as much as it is given to do so for a poor wretch like me.
[/quote]
Ya I'm not talking about people who don't know the truth. I'm talking about those who do.

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1295817013' post='2203542']
I'm not judging anyone. Just asking a tough question.
[/quote]

I see hwere you are coming from.

In instances such as that one, although we cannot say for ourselves if they are going to hell or not, they are certainly placing themselves in a precarious situation, and we would have legitimate cause to worry for their souls. A little prayer never hurt anyone (well, maybe it hurt the devil, but even then, I don't think a little prayer would even hurt him...)

[quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1295817131' post='2203545']
Ya I'm not talking about people who don't know the truth. I'm talking about those who do.
[/quote]

Granted... was worth saying none the less.
You may find my other post more pertinent.

[quote name='Didacus' timestamp='1295817339' post='2203547']
Granted... was worth saying none the less.
You may find my other post more pertinent.
[/quote]
It was very worth saying and I agree ! haha

Its just sad how many protestants are gonna wind up in hell. Heck I might end up there to. But a lot of them say for sure their going to heaven. What liars.