An Old School Catholic Message Board

Life Teen

PennyLane

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1307682107' post='2251908']
To me Life Teen sounds like a Pro Life organization for teens. Too bad it isnt at least not as a main focus.

I think it would be nice if religious Orders had junior branches for young people. Not necessarily to make them into future consecrated religious but just as a wider part of the Community.
[/quote]

Too late to edit but what Im getting at is basically Third Orders for teens.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Cam42' timestamp='1307683183' post='2251913']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg7lQ71l9_Y[/media]
So, a couple of things jump out at me...

1. This is not really a video about Adoration, this is a promo for the singer....
2. The kid in the white hat in the second row, NEVER takes his hat off...even when the Blessed Sacrament is present.
3. The minister is not a priest or a deacon. There is no stole. He should not be exposing the Blessed Sacrament when a priest is present. The wedding band is a dead give away, BTW.
4. The Blessed Sacrament exposed is not on an altar, it is on a table. Not acceptable.
5. And all of this is not taking place in a sacred space, but rather a garage, complete with brooms and mops...and a band...
6. Bands are forbidden in liturgical worship.
7. While the O Salutaris is sung in both Latin and English, it is perfectly clear that they don't know what they're doing, because he says they will sing one verse in Latin and one verse in English...actually he sings two verses in Latin and two verses in Englsh...sheesh...
8. Then there is the gentleman chewing gum.
9. Where is the proper adoration given by the ministers...there should be incensing and meditation

If this is the brand of Eucharistic Adoration...I'll take a church...and proper reverence... not an commercial for the music of Jon Paul Hebert...

Not impressed.
[/quote]
Wow. I hope this is not what most of their activities are like...that is nowhere near the respect that the True Presence commands...
(Re: the hat thing though, I might be willing to give him a pass out of ignorance. Many males nowadays have never been taught to remove their hats indoors or when dining or in the presence of women or in church. I'd blame that more on society than on the kid. All valid points otherwise.)

HisChildForever

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1307684147' post='2251916']
(Re: the hat thing though, I might be willing to give him a pass out of ignorance. Many males nowadays have never been taught to remove their hats indoors or when dining or in the presence of women or in church. I'd blame that more on society than on the kid. All valid points otherwise.)
[/quote]

Eh, not sure about this. They know enough to remove their hats at sporting events during the National Anthem. I'm sure that not all do, but even those who don't can't really be excused for ignorance.

Plus if they walked into a Church with a hat on, an usher would definitely step forward and say something.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1307684385' post='2251918']
Eh, not sure about this. They know enough to remove their hats at sporting events during the National Anthem. I'm sure that not all do, but even those who don't can't really be excused for ignorance.
[/quote]
I'm sure that they know [i]to[/i] remove their hats. I doubt, however, that they know why or that it should be applied to other situations as well. When was the last time you saw a young guy remove his hat when he was with a (group of) girl(s) or when he sat down at a restaurant?

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1307684385' post='2251918']Plus if they walked into a Church with a hat on, an usher would definitely step forward and say something.[/quote]
i wouldn't bet on it. :( i know of some churches that encourage 'casual' wear - and it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't ask men to take their hats off.

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='Cam42' timestamp='1307677263' post='2251884']
Good to see that you have something intelligent to add...oh wait...nevermind...forgot who I was talking to...
[/quote]

Well with that attitude, you wonder why I didn't.....

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1307677474' post='2251886']
Be nice, otherwise he might leave and never ever come back [size="1"][i](until next week)[/i][/size].
[/quote]

hmmmmm :|

[quote name='Cam42' timestamp='1307677609' post='2251887']
Nope...this idiot has been trolling me since I came back....I'm not going to "play nice" with him any longer...I may be better than this, but if he wants to sling mud...look out, I work in the Ag business...
[/quote]

Trolling? Me that's a first time I've been accused of that one.

Regardless, it isn't acceptable...there were enough adults around who would have known better, including Jon Paul Hebert...you know the guy who was pimping his music at Adoration...then there was the priest in the back...

Yep...there's Life Teen for ya...a modicum of respect for the Blessed Sacrament....how about another one...okie day...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNcrhMiXQwI[/media]

Do I really have to say anything?

It's a [size="7"]HUGE [/size][size="2"]abuse....

Ummmm....this is YOUR Life Teen...

You can keep it....I'll take this:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enWiFcsBqIE[/media][/size]

[quote name='ThePenciledOne' timestamp='1307684887' post='2251922']
Well with that attitude, you wonder why I didn't.....

hmmmmm :|

Trolling? Me that's a first time I've been accused of that one.
[/quote]

Well, there ya go then...

HisChildForever

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1307684542' post='2251919']
When was the last time you saw a young guy remove his hat when he was with a (group of) girl(s)[/quote]

I have never known a young man to purposefully remove his hat and keep it removed while among women. Most men who do remove their hat put it back on shortly after, they do not keep it off the entire time.

As an aside, I think hats no longer hold much significance. (Which actually supports your point, but now that I have this thought I want to run with it.) The only hats I see young men wear are baseball hats. Or beanies in the winter. They are more of a wardrobe extension than a symbol of masculinity and propriety. But even with that in mind, it is common sense for a young man to remove his hat in Church or a restaurant. Our society might not specifically address this but that does not mean the majority of young men are clueless. If a parent or a teacher or an usher or a waiter do not correct the behavior, then a sibling or a fellow parishioner or diner (hopefully) will.

[quote]or when he sat down at a restaurant?
[/quote]

I have never seen a young man or an older man wearing a hat in a restaurant.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1307684591' post='2251920']
i wouldn't bet on it. :( i know of some churches that encourage 'casual' wear - and it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't ask men to take their hats off.
[/quote]

That is very shameful.

Totally random but I sent you a Facebook request, don't ignore meh please. :saint:

Vincent Vega

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1307685549' post='2251925']
I have never seen a young man or an older man wearing a hat in a restaurant.
[/quote]
Either y'all have fewer hats or better trained boys, because I see guys (almost always young) with hats on in restaurants nearly every time I dine out (I'm including baseball caps as hats, btw. If you remove it when the flag passes by, it's a hat to me).

HisChildForever

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1307685839' post='2251927']
Either y'all have fewer hats or better trained boys, because I see guys (almost always young) with hats on in restaurants nearly every time I dine out (I'm including baseball caps as hats, btw. If you remove it when the flag passes by, it's a hat to me).
[/quote]

Baseball hats* are pretty popular for a lot of teens, and those army hats are pretty popular for 20-somethings.

*By "baseball hat" I really mean the style. Teens don't necessarily wear sport team baseball hats but Etnies and other like designers. Whereas you'll see the 20-somethings in Yankees.

Edited by HisChildForever

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1307677427' post='2251885']
I'm going to call this out as extremely uncharitable and absolutely uncalled for. You're better than this, Cam.
[/quote]

Apparently not.

Hat etiquette went out the door with the Kennedy's. Jack stopped wearing them, so almost all men stopped wearing them. Once that happened, men forgot the rules.

They are basic....

1. When indoors, remove them.
2. When passing a lady you are to greet, doff it.
3. When in the presence of one who is of higher status than you remove it until such time as he grants you to return it.
4. When in the presence of the Flag, remove it.

Liturgical rules...

1. The biretta is carried in by all ministers except the priest, deacon and subdeacon (or in the case of the NO deacon or acolyte).
2. It is worn only when sitting
3. It is doffed at the name of the saint of the day, the patron of the church one is in, and at the names of the Blessed Virgin and St. Joseph.
4. It is removed to the right knee at the Holy Name. It is likewise removed to the knee at the appropriate times during the gloria and creed.
5. It is never worn when the Blessed Sacrament is exposed.
6. It is always worn outside of Church.
7. It is part of abito piano, therefore not appropriate for wear with the clerical suit, only the cassock and/or ferriolo.
8. The horn should always be to the right.

Hats are never worn in church by a layman, unless he be in chivalric livery which calls for it.

[quote name='Gal. 5:22,23' timestamp='1307026301' post='2249156']
We have it at our parish and are blessed to have very orthodox people leading the program. However, the music at the "Lifeteen" Mass is irreverent and poorly done. Our pastor has commented that this mass is the worst in regards to participation. He's noticed how many spend that hour texting. Most people come in flip-flops, shorts or jeans, and t-shirts. The whole atmosphere seems to lend itself to a casual/indifferent response to the sacred.

There's one exception: since it's the last Mass of the weekend and we have Perpetual Adoration, the priest processes out at the end with Our Lord in the monstrance to [i]Tantum Ergo[/i]. Here, we have 100% participation - kneeling and singing. I think that speaks volumes.
[/quote]

Don't worry so much about clothes. Matthew 7: 27-30 The fact that there are youth coming to mass in the first place is a blessing and something that we should give praise to God for. I'm a young colleges student in charge of our youth ministry at our Parish. When it is hot out, I'll wear shorts and a T-shirt. The Catholic Church is a beautiful institution with traditions, beliefs and values that will always stay constant. I would never advocate changing them. At the same time though we have to realize we are living in the 21st century and (especially with the YOUTH mass) we are dealing with 21century young people. If forced to wear dresses, suits and bowties to mass they will NOT come to mass and in 40-50 years from now there will be no Catholic Church. This is not to say that I believe anything should be worn to mass. Respect should be shown. Nothing provocative, lewd, or blatantly inappropriate should be worn. Other than that, lets focus on saving souls more than we focus on what we look like when doing so (or trying to do so).

Sorry had to get that out of the way.

As for Life Teen,

Our Parish's youth group is very young, (about 6 years old) For the first 3 years it was in shambles, consisting of a reading the readings for the upcoming mass and then doing some music among a few other things. But it wasn't very effective at all. Three years ago we started Life Teen. Aside from all the great material that Life Teen provides, it also gives great ideas and effective models for running a youth group. We started letting the older youth take on more responsibility and do peer ministry. Our youth group started to flourish and take on a life of its own.

Life Teen gives great resources. It gives you weekly "Life Night" guides, which basically let you run a youth group for a night with topics, themes, talks, games, guided prayer. You can almost hand the book to a group of people who've never done youth ministry before and say do this and they will be able to put on a great youth group. They also give you the same type of guides for putting on whole retreats. These are the main two resources but there are tons of others like video's, cds, games, toys, exclusive retreats for your core. The topics are relevant to today's teens and are very Catholic to the core. Not only do they discuss social issues that most of our youth struggle with daily but it also helps give kids a great understanding of the Catholic Church. Most importantly it does (as it's motto says) lead teens closer to Christ.

Now that I've said all the good things about Life Teen I must admit that we will not be using it next year. As great and encompassing as there topics are, the youth in our youth group are a special case. We live in a small town (22,000) and there's not a lot to do. Therefore we have rampant drug, gang, violence, sex, and depression problems among many of the youth in our youth group. Most of them do not go to church or attend any kind of church program (Catholic or otherwise). We believe many even have trouble believing there is a God out there. Due to this we have found the the Life Teen program is a little too Catholic. The Catholic teachings go way over most of the kids heads (the transubstantiation night was where we realized this). As great as Life Teens topics about social issues and personal relationships with God are, the program is not free and we feel we need to concentrate more on just the fact that there is a God out there that loves each one of us. We aren't using any program next year (pray for us) and are going to let the holy Spirit guide us.

I'd like to finish by saying that we have a weekly average of 70 youth coming to our Life Nights (remember small town) for the past year, so we must have been doing something right. I'd say it's safe to say that Life Teen can take a lot of the credit. I highly recommend Life Teen to any person out there who is looking to start a dynamic Catholic youth ministry or wants to go to the next level with their current one. We unfortuantely need to take it down a level for our youth, but it is my hope that in a few years when the Spirit is flowing unchecked throughout our youth group we can return to Life Teen.