An Old School Catholic Message Board

Life Teen

PennyLane

HisChildForever

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1307548435' post='2251274']
That depends very much on the Mass in question. As my dance is inspired by God, he would not inspire me to do so in a Mass where other members of the congregation do not have the control or will to focus on Christ. It is certainly far less of a distraction than the children or the old ladies rattling their rosaries, and I just ignore these and focus on God.
[/quote]

They don't get distracted when you "howl"?

KnightofChrist

That depends very much on the Mass in question. As my dance is inspired by God, he would not inspire me to do so in a Mass where other members of the congregation do not have the control or will to focus on Christ. It is certainly far less of a distraction than the children or the old ladies rattling their rosaries, and I just ignore these and focus on God.
[/quote]

Ignoring the slap to an actual approved devotion during Mass. The Church is inspired by God and she the Bride of Christ says no dancing during Mass, it does not belong. So either she who can not err is wrong or you are ma'am.

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1307547234' post='2251268']
[b]I[/b] will continue to dance as the Spirit moves [b]me[/b]. I'll be dancing in Heaven one day too :dance: Dance may not be a set part of the Mass, but show [b]me[/b] where it says that people must stand still and look miserable? Thats not in the rubrics either but what most people tend to do. I adore God, I am his and my sole aim is to live as he calls me to do. That involves joy and happiness, and[b] I [/b]will continue to express that.
[/quote]

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1307548235' post='2251272']
In detail, no - not through awkwardness but simply because there is no concious thought in the process. It tends to be [b]my[/b] body moving as the love in me wells up and needs to be expressed. I[b]m[/b] not talking mad waving of my arms, or leaping up and down, or even coming out of my place, just movement- [b]my[/b] knees, [b]my[/b] hips, [b]my[/b] shoulders maybe but all starting at[b] my[/b] heart. Again,[b] I [/b]cant so clearly say when as when not - i have never danced during the consecration for example [b]- I[/b] am down on my knees then, ideally on the floor if the church layout allows it but sometimes on the kneeler. I don't think I have ever danced on the way to communion either, though there have been times when [b]my [/b]joy at recieving my God has made [b]me[/b] want to grab the eucharist from the priest and woof it down as fast as I can!!! (I stress, want, not have done!). There have been many times[b] I[/b] have practically skipped back to my place after, but probably not in a way anyone would notice, more just [b]me[/b] knowing that there is joy within[b] my[/b] whole being and [b]my[/b] whole being needing to celebrate the fact that the physical Christ is now in [b]me[/b]. There have also been times [b]I [/b]have howled with agony at the same point, when[b] my[/b] calling to give [b]myself[/b] completely to God has been so agonisingly painful that it has taken[b] my[/b] whole physical and mental effort to get there and virtually crawl to communion.

[b]I[/b] usually want to dance at the offeretry, knowing that the bread and wine and in some cases cash being offered are token gestures of [b]my [/b]desire and [b]my[/b] will that are all being offered as well. On the rare occasions I have taken up the gifts[b] myself[/b] recently,[b] I [/b]have usually cried as it is such an honour to be the one to bear those gifts to the priest who will then offer them to God on our behalf and be the human means of Christ coming to [b]me[/b].
[/quote]

That depends very much on the Mass in question. As [b]my[/b] dance is inspired by God, he would not inspire [b]me[/b] to do so in a Mass where other members of the congregation do not have the control or will to focus on Christ. It is certainly far less of a distraction than the children or the old ladies rattling their rosaries, and I just ignore these and focus on God.
[/quote]

this is the first time that I've ever responded to you faithcecilia. I took the liberty of bolding how many times you refer to yourself in these comments. Normally I wouldn't draw attention to it but I find it really interesting that you are doing it so much in reference to Mass. Mass is a communal celebration not a personal one. While having a personal joy and relationship with God (to the point of wanting to dance) is a wonderful thing, it is not a communal thing!! We celebrate Mass together not as a collection of individuals. It should not matter what "I" desire at mass . What matters is what we as a community are gaining.

Also if old ladies rattling their rosaries is disturbing you, you might have a problem with ADHD

faithcecelia

[quote name='jaime (the artist formerly known as hot stuff)' timestamp='1307549740' post='2251279']
this is the first time that I've ever responded to you faithcecilia. I took the liberty of bolding how many times you refer to yourself in these comments. Normally I wouldn't draw attention to it but I find it really interesting that you are doing it so much in reference to Mass. Mass is a communal celebration not a personal one. While having a personal joy and relationship with God (to the point of wanting to dance) is a wonderful thing, it is not a communal thing!! We celebrate Mass together not as a collection of individuals. It should not matter what "I" desire at mass . What matters is what we as a community are gaining.

Also if old ladies rattling their rosaries is disturbing you, you might have a problem with ADHD
[/quote]

I can only give myself, I cannot make anyone else do or be or behave in any given way. I was asked a direct question in relation to myself, I cannot answer for anyone else, nor would I ever try.

As for the ADHD comment, thats quite rude to those who do have such a condition, to use it lightly like that.

You will not get me to go into a debate of one way being right and one being wrong. I actually enjoy a number of styles of worship and feel equally at home in them all. You will never get me to say you do not have the right to like one way of worhip and dislike another. I respect you all enough to respect the way you choose to worship. I believe the Church is big enough to have room for us all.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1307551606' post='2251290']
You will not get me to go into a debate of one way being right and one being wrong. I actually enjoy a number of styles of worship and feel equally at home in them all. You will never get me to say you do not have the right to like one way of worhip and dislike another. I respect you all enough to respect the way you choose to worship. I believe the Church is big enough to have room for us all.
[/quote]

There is no debate, Rome has spoken the matter is closed. No dancing at Mass. Like it or lump it.

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1307544704' post='2251251']
I have actually, I have been very blessed to know many good priests and to have spent a lot of time in their company discussing the various ways God works in my life and others. I've actually seen a number of priests dance too :dance: Yes, I am sure its God, I am certain of that. God fills me with so much joy and happiness, and my dance (which is not leaping round the place!) is an expression of that.
[/quote]
Well that's [u]nice[/u]. I am glad you are enjoying life there at Saint Happy Church.

HisChildForever

I believe the Church is big enough to have room for us all.
[/quote]

Except when the Church disapproves of a particular style of worship during the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

I can only give myself, I cannot make anyone else do or be or behave in any given way. I was asked a direct question in relation to myself, I cannot answer for anyone else, nor would I ever try.

As for the ADHD comment, thats quite rude to those who do have such a condition, to use it lightly like that.

[/quote]

I'm not saying "styles of worship" I'm saying that going to mass is not about how I feel. Its about us as a community. It doesn't matter what "I " like it matters what we as a community do together. When you dance while those around you don't, you separate yourself from the community!

Your statement about old ladies with rosaries was also rude.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1307552471' post='2251295']
Well that's [u]nice[/u]. I am glad you are enjoying life there at Saint Happy Church.
[/quote]

Don't be rude.

In hindsight, for most Catholics when its said "the mass has ended go in peace" half the church is running out the door saying "thanks be to god!" Where are these Catholics that want to make the mass longer? In fact there are some who skip out before this, those who honor the Judas Mass Tradition.

Edited by Mr.CatholicCat

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Mr.CatholicCat' timestamp='1307554651' post='2251315']
In hindsight, for most Catholics when its said "the mass has ended go in peace" half the church is running out the door saying "thanks be to god!" Where are these Catholics that want to make the mass longer? In fact there are some who skip out before this, those who honor the Judas Mass Tradition.
[/quote]
Not trying to be rude, just wondering how this is apropos to the conversation?

Vincent Vega

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1307554371' post='2251312']
Don't be rude.
[/quote]
This. I don't think FC is in the right here, but there's no need to be a jerk.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1307562841' post='2251381']Not trying to be rude, just wondering how this is apropos to the conversation?[/quote]When I did go to mass, I enjoyed the Latin Mass Community here. I enjoyed the simplicity, efficiency, and speed of the mass. It seems to me that most Catholics would enjoy a shorter mass, so I want to know where these Catholics are that want to make it longer with liturgical dancers?

And not rude, besides does every post on phatmass have to be painfully ontopic? No. No one here is. It is what I like about phatmass, the flexibility of discussion. But my comments were on topic.

Edited by Mr.CatholicCat

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Mr.CatholicCat' timestamp='1307563259' post='2251386']And not rude, besides does every post on phatmass have to be painfully ontopic? No. No one here is. It is what I like about phatmass, the flexibility of discussion. But my comments were on topic.
[/quote]
I was just wondering if there was a connection between the discussion about whether people could dance privately in the mass and your comments about making mass longer is all.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1307563897' post='2251391']I was just wondering if there was a connection between the discussion about whether people could dance privately in the mass and your comments about making mass longer is all.[/quote]I find this off topic. It does address the discussion of dancing in the mass. If you are refuse or are unable to understand that, then don't worry about it.