An Old School Catholic Message Board

Life Teen

PennyLane

But seriously, you guys are crazy for not liking LIFE TEEN. It gets kids to go to adoration. You may not agree with its methods but you can't deny that it's doing a good thing. There are other programs out there, and maybe they have better parts. But this one is good too.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1307481948' post='2250969']
But seriously, you guys are crazy for not liking LIFE TEEN. It gets kids to go to adoration. You may not agree with its methods but you can't deny that it's doing a good thing. There are other programs out there, and maybe they have better parts. But this one is good too.
[/quote]
I'll dislike it if I darn well please. I've told you why.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1307482794' post='2250973']
I'll dislike it if I darn well please. I've told you why.
[/quote]
Coming from the guy who's never read the Life Teen material.

faithcecelia

And it makes me dance with joy even more to know that the Church is big enough that we all fit! There are enough masses that we can all worship in the way God inspires us to, its just so sad that people spend so much time worrying about the bits they don't like.

MissScripture

But seriously, you guys are crazy for not liking LIFE TEEN. It gets kids to go to adoration. [b]You may not agree with its methods but you can't deny that it's doing a good thing[/b]. There are other programs out there, and maybe they have better parts. But this one is good too.
[/quote]
So, the ends justify the means?

Well, since Life Teen has seemed to clean up it's act since the days of them changing the mass, I haven't really heard anyone say what they don't like about the program, properly implemented, today.

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1307484098' post='2250986']
So, the ends justify the means?
[/quote]

When the means aren't immoral, illegal, illicit or unethical, yes. The fact that you find them unsavory is of little importance. You can not like something all you want...doesn't mean that it's [b]bad[/b] because you don't like it.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1307483450' post='2250979']
Coming from the guy who's never read the Life Teen material.
[/quote]
We've been over this already. :rolleyes:

[/quote]
well i agree with anyone getting to adoration is a good thing. but you wouldn't say "by any means necessary, getting someone to go to adoration is a good thing", right?

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1307485186' post='2250992']
well i agree with anyone getting to adoration is a good thing. but you wouldn't say "by any means necessary, getting someone to go to adoration is a good thing", right?
[/quote]

Again, as I said when I responded to Missy's comment above, so long as the means aren't immoral, illegal, illicit or unethical, yes, the ends are justified. The fact that you find them unsavory is of little importance. You can not like something all you want...doesn't mean that it's bad because you don't like it.

*coughs* Not to dredge up old business, but on the "First African Pope" comment, it's been done already. Three times off the top of my head between the second and fifth centuries, all three are now recognized as Saints. Pope St Victor I, Pope St Miltiades, and Pope St Gelasius.

faithcecelia

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1307485709' post='2250997']
*coughs* Not to dredge up old business, but on the "First African Pope" comment, it's been done already. Three times off the top of my head between the second and fifth centuries, all three are now recognized as Saints. Pope St Victor I, Pope St Miltiades, and Pope St Gelasius.
[/quote]

Mia culpa, thank you. St Augustine (while not a pope) was also African, and he had a pretty cool attitude to his faith too. Well, bring on more!

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1307485420' post='2250993']
Again, as I said when I responded to Missy's comment above, so long as the means aren't immoral, illegal, illicit or unethical, yes, the ends are justified. The fact that you find them unsavory is of little importance. You can not like something all you want...doesn't mean that it's bad because you don't like it.
[/quote]
i didn't see Missy's comment (or your response) until after i posted what i did :) conversely though, just because i like something doesn't make it automatically 'good.'

besides, if it works, and is implemented correctly - i could care less. i won't go to that Mass, though. the beauty of living in a city with multiple parishes. (and i have seen the LifeTeen materials, as a ym in my city was doing the LT program. my only criticism would be that [i]sometimes[/i] the way they are written can be slightly ambigious, which can lead to a liberalization of the topic. no, i don't have concrete examples. sorry, ym isn't my job anymore, so i don't have that access anymore.)

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1307486029' post='2250998']
Mia culpa, thank you. St Augustine (while not a pope) was also African, and he had a pretty cool attitude to his faith too. Well, bring on more!
[/quote]

That he did! :) (Even if his writing can be...repetitive at times.)

MissScripture

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1307486180' post='2251002']
i didn't see Missy's comment (or your response) until after i posted what i did :) conversely though, just because i like something doesn't make it automatically 'good.'

besides, if it works, and is implemented correctly - i could care less. i won't go to that Mass, though. the beauty of living in a city with multiple parishes. (and i have seen the LifeTeen materials, as a ym in my city was doing the LT program. my only criticism would be that [i]sometimes[/i] the way they are written can be slightly ambigious, which can lead to a liberalization of the topic. no, i don't have concrete examples. sorry, ym isn't my job anymore, so i don't have that access anymore.)
[/quote]
FYI: By Missy (in case anyone was confused, cuz it took me a second to figure out what he meant), he means me. Idk why he calls me that, since we have a Missy (MissyP89).