An Old School Catholic Message Board

Life Teen

PennyLane

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1307129395' post='2249559']
Well, your taste in the music is a matter of opinion and the whole "around the altar" thing has been discouraged by the program since 2002 (when JP2 basically said "stop it!"); however, your characterization of the teens as Eucharistic Ministers is unfair. I became an EM when I was 17 along with 3 people from the youth group who were seen to be among the most spiritually mature for such an enormous task. We then went through a several week long class, and had a retreat weekend with the deacon in our parish, all before we were honored with this task.

I would say that this is the norm, DS. Because, if I'm not mistaken, that's kinda the Diocesan rule on the matter.
[/quote]

Funny that you bring this up because that is exactly the LifeTeen that I went to... the ones that encouraged teens to go on the altar, and block the view of anyone who wanted to see the consecration.

I went through the materials and a lot has changed since I went through the program, many years ago.

Nihil Obstat

When I was in high school, on a couple occasions I had to receive from students my own age during school Masses, and it made me extremely uncomfortable.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Brother Adam' timestamp='1307225427' post='2249990']
yikes. 8 pages. What was said? Did everyone agree that Life Teen is neither inherently good or evil, but is one of the top youth ministry programs available to Catholics today? If so amesome. I love how the national Life Teen staff is constantly going to Adoration and praying for the needs of anyone who asks.
[/quote]

:clapping:

Tis true!

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1307383728' post='2250466']
When I was in high school, on a couple occasions I had to receive from students my own age during school Masses, and it made me extremely uncomfortable.
[/quote]

Why did it make you uncomfortable? In the eyes of the church, a confirmed teen is an adult. Whatever your reservations are about EMHC (which I agree with), I don't think that age should be a determining factor of it being more or less acceptable.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1307392417' post='2250548']
Why did it make you uncomfortable? In the eyes of the church, a confirmed teen is an adult. Whatever your reservations are about EMHC (which I agree with), I don't think that age should be a determining factor of it being more or less acceptable.
[/quote]
It felt irreverent and wrong. Especially so because they were my age. Basically them being the same age multiplies the issues I already have with extraordinary ministers. Makes it more imminently present. Everything about it felt wrong.

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1307392571' post='2250551']
It felt irreverent and wrong. Especially so because they were my age. Basically them being the same age multiplies the issues I already have with extraordinary ministers. Makes it more imminently present. Everything about it felt wrong.
[/quote]

And of course you felt this in....high school.

Guess you could never go to a college in which they held Mass, where your peers do the same.

Praise God they want to help out with the Mass at all. If it is only you with such feelings, I think (being entirely sincere) someone needs to reflect on some things first.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1307383728' post='2250466']
[/quote]

A 17-year-old girl served as an extraordinary minister at my parish on Sunday night. I opted to receive from Father.

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1307392417' post='2250548']
[/quote]

How does being Confirmed make one an adult in the eyes of the Church? It was originally given at the same time as Baptism and the Eucharist to infants and many younger than anywhere close to adulthood - and still is in the Eastern Churches. Although I don't have an opinion on young EMHCs, it doesn't seem right to equate the Sacrament of Confirmation with a concept like human maturity according to age when infants can and do receive it (E.g. - you can't argue that a Confirmed infant is an adult in the eyes of the Church capable of distributing the Eucharist, so it really shouldn't be part of your argument).

[quote name='PennyLane' timestamp='1307355494' post='2250391']
Funny that you bring this up because that is exactly the LifeTeen that I went to... the ones that encouraged teens to go on the altar, and block the view of anyone who wanted to see the consecration.

I went through the materials and a lot has changed since I went through the program, many years ago.
[/quote]

Yeah that definitely was something my parish did in the beginning. But the program cracked down on that in the beginning of 2002, if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure some parishes still do it, but it's probably not the norm.

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1307400827' post='2250593']
what's with the age-ism? lol
[/quote]

Right?

As if age was a precursor for holiness.

The last thing on your mind when you receive Communion should be the age/gender of the EM. I know when I receive, my eyes are fixed on the Body of Christ, watching as He is removed from the tray, raised up at eye level, and offered to me on my tongue. 10 times out of 10, I couldn't tell you anything about the EM.

Lifeteen helped me to feel God calling me to the religious life. ^^ but, sometimes the set-up of the lesson plans is a bit messy. It shows much fidelity to the Church's teaching.

and we teens do seek reverance. we seek TRUE beauty. not rock and roll. a few teens and i have been attending the latin mass each sunday at the cathedral. lifeteen is great with teaching. i dont agree with how some lifeteen parishes celebrate the mass. (like my parish. but its an ugly, protestant looking church and a liberal parish. what do you expect?) but lifeteen has taught me alot about my faith. i didnt even know the creed (apostles and nicene) before lifeteen. gotta give LF some credit.

Nihil Obstat

The priest holds a particular authority due to his office. Extraordinary ministers lack this, so I already am somewhat uncomfortable receiving from them. For an EMHC to be my age only multiplies that leeriness.

ThePenciledOne

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1307401300' post='2250598']
Right?

As if age was a precursor for holiness.

The last thing on your mind when you receive Communion should be the age/gender of the EM. I know when I receive, my eyes are fixed on the Body of Christ, watching as He is removed from the tray, raised up at eye level, and offered to me on my tongue. 10 times out of 10, I couldn't tell you anything about the EM.
[/quote]

*cough St. Therese of Lisieux *cough