An Old School Catholic Message Board

Good Catholics Post Here

dominicansoul

[quote name='tgoldson' timestamp='1309465506' post='2261112']
I just got my Church Militant label.
[/quote]
Congrats!!!!!

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1310538052' post='2266782']
confession kneeling and behind a screen is exclusive to the Traditional Latin Mass communities? :huh:
[/quote]
Every parish I've been to had both options, face-to-face or screen in between.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1310558094' post='2266851']
[/quote]

Same. In fact, most of the priests I've been to prefer behind the screen. I've been going to confession for 24 years and I've only been to confession face to face about three times.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1310537362' post='2266776']
On Sunday I FINALLY, for the first time in my life, went to confession kneeling and behind a screen. It was spectacular. I could do it every week. I can certainly meet my current medium-term goal of once every three weeks like this. :) Absolutely thrilled.
Every once in a while I have little experiences like this that confirm over and over again that I've found my spiritual home in the Traditional Mass communities. :proud:
[/quote]

Seriously?? Why has been your issue in avoiding it? I have never done it any other way, that is how most people do it.

[/quote]

Ditto. Though the time I did it behind the screen I wasn't thinking, and when it was over, I walked over and thanked the priest.

I'm a good Catholic because I intended to go to Adoration yesterday. (I'm a bad Catholic because I just realized I never got there.)

I'm a good Catholic because I try to make use of the Sacrament of Reconcilliation...feels so awkward at times too when the little old ladies stare.

I'm a good Catholic because I've spent part of my week on campus helping lost parents refind their orientation tour groups despite the fact I'm not on the payroll again until September.

I'm not sure what type of Catholic it makes me that I'm wondering if I'm committing the sin of pride at posting those three things.

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1310565008' post='2266876']
Same. In fact, most of the priests I've been to prefer behind the screen. I've been going to confession for 24 years and I've only been to confession face to face about three times.
[/quote]
I only been face-to-face at penance services and retreats. I don't like it. I rather not see the priest's chin on the floor.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1310571841' post='2266910']
I only been face-to-face at penance services and retreats. I don't like it. I rather not see the priest's chin on the floor.
[/quote]

Sorry to butt in (wow I'm doing that a lot today)...but seeing your comment about the chin makes me wanna ask; anyone else have the thing when going face to face that the priest closes his eyes through most of the Confession so as not to look at you?

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1310538052' post='2266782']
confession kneeling and behind a screen is exclusive to the Traditional Latin Mass communities? :huh:
[/quote]
Did I say that? I've experienced it literally nowhere else. None of the other parishes I've been to in my city even have screened confessionals.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1310566108' post='2266881']
Seriously?? Why has been your issue in avoiding it? I have never done it any other way, that is how most people do it.
[/quote]
I haven't been avoiding it.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1310574287' post='2266926']
Did I say that? I've experienced it literally nowhere else. None of the other parishes I've been to in my city even have screened confessionals.
[/quote]

:( That's very sad. Most parishes around here are an open room with a half-wall and a little screened square in the middle. You can kneel or sit behind it, or you can go around and sit in front of the priest. My first confession was in a legit confessional complete with a little red/green light that meant occupied or vacant. It was dark in there, which was a little scary for a second grader. I took my flashlight to read my Act of Contrition.

Anyway, that is wonderful that you found somewhere you feel comfortable!

On to good catholic-ness. I have nothing to say that would contribute to that part. :blush:

Edited by Lisa

franciscanheart

[quote name='homeschoolmom' timestamp='1310555319' post='2266829']
Wow... news to me. Our regular-ol' NO parish has done it this way for as long as we've been there. I guess this just confirms that I have my spiritual home in the right place.
[/quote]
:hehe:

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1310555355' post='2266830']
it took me less than 19 years to go to confession kneeling and behind a screen.

It is little experiences like this that confirm over and over my betterness and holiness over many.
[/quote]
:hehe:

[/quote]
:like: Same.

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1310565008' post='2266876']
[/quote]
Same. :like:

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1310566108' post='2266881']
[/quote]
I thought so too. I guess we should go back to the Bad Catholics thread... :unsure:

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1310574330' post='2266926']

I haven't been avoiding it.
[/quote]
Certainly the way you phrased made it seem like going to confeesion kneeling and behind the screen was something exclusive to the Traditional Latin Mass community.

[/quote]

That's really sad...I've never been to one that didn't have a screen if you wanted to confess from behind it.

[/quote]
How unfortunate for you. Was the screened one you recently did an old fashioned wooden confessional? Like the one here at St. Martin Catholic Church Starkenberg, Missouri.

[img]http://bp2.blogger.com/_ICCoEC9hSwc/RkZ0Hx4rrgI/AAAAAAAABpo/da5ZmBZfgTE/s400/Saint+Martin+Roman+Catholic+Church,+in+Starkenberg,+Missouri+-+confessional.jpg[/img]