An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is God A Moral Monster?

Mr.Cat

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Mr.Cat' timestamp='1316924254' post='2309496']

A discussion would be for example... oh I don't know... for this topic? Discussing what defines a monster? Discussing if "god" had good cause to kill people like in the story of Job. Discussing if "Jesus" really had to die on a cross in order to save us? Discussing how to identify a monstrous god? If "god" was possibly a monster would it change anything for believers? If it is possible to have a "good monster"? Even discussing particular instances of violence or death in the bible?

Actually considering I didn't make the topic title, a mere discussion of the instances of violence and death in the bible would of been fine. A discussion comparing the violence of the Bible to the Koran, as mentioned in the first post, would of been fine too.

Sounded like a good discussion... too bad it never happened.
[/quote]

All is as straw...... arguments for the sake of arguments. :yawn:

Time better spent in prayer.... :pray:

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1316928250' post='2309551']All is as straw...... arguments for the sake of arguments. :yawn:

Time better spent in prayer.... :pray:[/quote]It's not an argument for the sake of argument. But I agree, you should go pray instead.
[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1316929113' post='2309574']
Trolls are fun - especially on a slow Sunday afternoon :P[/quote]You shouldn't say things like that about Mark or yourself.

Edited by Mr.Cat

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Mr.Cat' timestamp='1316928643' post='2309561']
It's not an argument for the sake of argument. But I agree, you should go pray instead.
[/quote]

ditto for you :P

Mark of the Cross

[img]http://s3-ak.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web03/2011/1/30/14/internet-comics-longcat-18657-1296417385-10.jpg[/img]

[img]http://artoftrolling.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/chatroulette-trolling-trolling-is-an-chart.jpg[/img]

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

does god kill or does god allow for consequences of sin. Eg. the sexual and drug revolution, consequence,the abortion industry. Sin has consequences . And if we didn't sin we would be god, the oldest trick of the devil that we could be gods. Is this a hopeless predicement? No! Thanks be to God that he sent his son jesus to save us from our sins and now overtime with the grace of god we can have all mortal sins removed(though for what ever reason on occasion there is a spectacular miracle of conversion) though i'm told some of the greatest saints even had there venial sins removed. If one was born free of sin would one ever know or aspire to grow in holyness,sounds kinda boring to me, i will leave the never changing to god he can handle it. In that i also believe there are possibly 7 heavens, JC says that there are many rooms in his fathers house. I believe there is even growth in heaven. Like most we start in purgatory,than heaven level 1 than over time graduate to level 2, than level 3 etc etc.
No pun intended.
God bless you
isaiah 40:28
P.S. please remember i am only a lay christian of 8 years and anyone more apt please add to or remove any of what i have stated(even veeto the whole thing if need be) and any of what i have stated needs to be prayed about and possibly some faith sharing with somone you trust.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye' timestamp='1316929834' post='2309584']
Pax domine sit semper vobiscum
allo nunsense :cupid:
[/quote]

et cum spirituo tuo

I rememember what this old priest said in one of his sermons at mass back in Ohio before I moved to Vegas and sin city. He said the story of Jesus and the cross was insane. That it doesn't make sense and its downright troubling when you actually think about it. I would agree with him. He then went on to talk about faith and grace. At the end of the day that's what it comes down to. Its trusting in God and just loving Him and believing He is good like He says. Is there a chanch He could be an evil monster ? I suppose. What can you do about it though if this is the case ? If God is a liar and really is evil what are you or I going to do about it ? The difference betweeen you and I mr. Cat is faith. Faith is knowing God is real and He's good. I have this through experiences with Him and stuff that has happened in my life. I will not include the details but they are more then sufficent for me. You can write them off as me being nuts or delusional or whatever else you like. That's fine with me. There is a reason Paul talks about faith and grace so much in the new testement. Its real and its life changing. Although I have come back to being catholic and agreeing with the whole mortal sin thing and having to go to mass every week I still believe with my whole heart FAITH is number 1. Real FAITH will lead one to go to mass and take part in the sacraments and so forth. But catholic RELIGION or any religion for that matter without faith and love becomes useless in my opinon. This is all sorta off topic but I think if you are going to even try to explain the Cross or the old testement you have to look at it from a place of faith and love. Looking at it from where you are Mr. Cat it does look insane and destructive. And mabey it should. Godbless.

Edited by Guest

Here is what I think of the God of the Bible.

Or rather, this is what St. Francis of Assisi thinks of Him, and I think that's amesome ;)

[quote][center]You are holy, Lord, the only God,
and Your deeds are wonderful.
You are strong.
You are great
You are the Most High.
You are Almighty.
You, Holy Father are King of heaven and earth.
You are Three and One, Lord God, all good,
You are Good, all Good, supreme Good,
Lord God, living and true.
You are love, You are wisdom.
You are humility, You are endurance.
You are rest, You are peace.
You are joy and gladness.
You are justice and moderation.
You are all our riches, and You suffice for us.
You are beauty.
You are gentleness.
You are our protector,
You are our guardian and defender.
You are our courage. You are our haven and our hope.
You are our faith, our great consolation.
You are our eternal life, Great and Wonderful Lord,
God Almighty, Merciful Saviour.[/center][center][/quote][/center]
Praised be Jesus Christ, Now and Forever!

AccountDeleted

[quote name='MithLuin' timestamp='1317185994' post='2311469']
Here is what I think of the God of the Bible.

Or rather, this is what St. Francis of Assisi thinks of Him, and I think that's amesome ;)

[/center]
Praised be Jesus Christ, Now and Forever!
[/quote]

Yes, this.

[quote name='Mr.Cat' timestamp='1316924254' post='2309496']
Discussing if "Jesus" really had to die on a cross in order to save us?[/quote]
I didn't realise that this was on topic with this thread.
I do find it quite strange the requirement for blood sacrifice. Tribes all over do this sort of thing, generally with chickens and goats and cows.
Doing it to people let alone other animals is horrid.

I don't see how this act can benefit any god, or atone for sins or anything other than fulfill a blood lust within people.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1317195675' post='2311515']
I didn't realise that this was on topic with this thread.
I do find it quite strange the requirement for blood sacrifice. Tribes all over do this sort of thing, generally with chickens and goats and cows.
Doing it to people let alone other animals is horrid.

I don't see how this act can benefit any god, or atone for sins or anything other than fulfill a blood lust within people.
[/quote]

So what do you think would be an appropriate act of redemption on man's behalf?

AccountDeleted

[quote name='stevil' timestamp='1317201121' post='2311557']
Forgiveness, maybe education with regards to a better way to behave.
Certainly not a symbollic killing of something.
[/quote]

God tried it your way for how long? Was it about 4000 years or so, teaching the Israelites and asking them to follow His commandments - they couldn't even keep the most important one - have no other God before you!

He obviously felt that a little 'tough love' was required.

But we come back to the main point, which is that mankind cannot comprehend the mind of God.... or His infinite goodness.

Edited by nunsense