An Old School Catholic Message Board

The St. Monica Club

MissyP89

By the way, I was born at Cooper Hospital in Camden, NJ -- proudly named the world's most dangerous city last year! ;)

First post! A lurker comes out of the woodwork :P

My family are lapsed Catholics and my Dad is not Catholic at all (although he took myself and my brother to Mass every Sunday when we were little as it was my Grandmother's express wish).

I am currently studying for a degree in Theology and am coming back to the church. As long as I can submit in obdience to some of the church's teachings I have trouble with, I hope to be confirmed soon.

However I worry what my family's reaction will be. St. Monica, pray for me and my family!

Archaeology cat

St Monica's my patron Saint. I love her. My cousin sent me info on her when I was converting, and that was that. My immediate family aren't Catholic, nor are the majority of my extended family. I pray for St Monica's intercession a bit.

MargaretTeresa

Now my mom is trying to get me to wait a couple days to move. No no no no no no. :nono: I WILL attend my patroness's feast day Mass.

Pray for me sil vous plait.

TheresaThoma

I'm also the only Catholic in my family. Missy I totally sympathize with you about moving back in with non-Catholic parents. It can be rough some days.

Deus te Amat

My immediate family is non-practicing, and I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in my Irish-Catholic extended family still practicing, as well.

We stopped going to church when I was 10, I came back at 15, started discerning a vocation, am studying at a Catholic College, and am potentially entering a religious community in a year. And my family doesn't understand.

I'm in.

faithcecelia

Yes, I am the only Catholic in my family too. Usually they are great and support me well, but today there were one or 2 comments - the harsh one that we are completely deluded in believing that at wafer is Jesus. Its over 10yrs now since I converted but ists still hard.

Deus te Amat

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1312667668' post='2282576']My immediate family is non-practicing, and I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in my Irish-Catholic extended family still practicing, as well.

We stopped going to church when I was 10, I came back at 15, started discerning a vocation, am studying at a Catholic College, and am potentially entering a religious community in a year. And my family doesn't understand.

I'm in.[/quote]

That's supposed to say Irish-Italian Catholic. :|

Deus te Amat

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1312677436' post='2282641']Yes, I am the only Catholic in my family too. Usually they are great and support me well, but today there were one or 2 comments - the harsh one that we are completely deluded in believing that at wafer is Jesus. Its over 10yrs now since I converted but ists still hard.[/quote]

:( At least my family is simply fallen away and not Blasphemistic. Prayers for your fam. :(

I went to confession today because my gloominess over being without my college family turned into bitterness, then resentment. It's gotten pretty ugly and I wanted to nip it in the bud.

The priest drew a really good parallel: he said that while in seminary, one of his spiritual directors once called the seminary environment "artificial." Not artificial as in fake, but unlike what life really is. In both situations, we are protected by a bubble of support ... but once you're out in the adult world, things are not as easy.

I'll be praying for the intentions of our little club at every Mass from now on. :)

MargaretTeresa

Just had to pretend I didn't know anything about nuns to my family... While watching Sister Act. They asked if nuns could just leave. How do I explain without freaking them out?

I tell my parents that I learn everything online. LOL. Basically true.

While my vocation is to marriage (I think), my parents relaxed a lot about priests and religious after I brought home a seminarian friend. That was a doozy to pull off ("He's a PRIEST?" "In training, Mom."), but once they met him, everything was fine.

Then again, he talked about whiskey and guns with my dad. :like:

MargaretTeresa

Yeah... I don't know if that would have flown with their craziness.

Mom: "Why were looking it up online?"
Me: "I stumbled on it reading a blog."
Mom: "Why are you reading Catholic blogs?"
Me: "Because I want to."
Mom: "Are you Catholic."
Me: "....."

Since she doesn't approve my of le "Catholic-ness" :doh:

JulianofLdn

I guess I belong.

I didn't realize I was from a Catholic family until a few years ago. Mum went to catholic school, hated it. My grandparents were practising (I think) but mum got pregnant with me... and she wasn't married. From the way I'm told about it, the community didn't deal with it too well: things were said, the priest stopped visiting (something he'd did regularly to all his parishioners, I'm told) and the day I was baptised was the last time any of my family walked into the church. There were no prayers, no rosaries, no novenas... nothing. The only thing of religion in our house was a bible and my baptism cup. Oh, and the stories my mum told me, about the evil nuns at her school: how they were mean to her, slapped her. She told me over and over again how going to catholic school had given her a substandard education. I only ever heard our side of the story.

Mind you, I took myself off to church when I was about 7. Not the catholic church, but the C of E church up the road. My family didn't complain, but neither did they come with me. It was odd, eventually, when they came to hear me sing in the choir. They didn't look comfortable, or right, there. But they didn't stop me, or say anything much about it.

Later, much later, a picture of the sacred heart appeared in my grandmother's bedroom. She didn't go back to church, mind, but the picture appeared. I don't really know what she thought of her faith in the end. I suspect she missed it. She died a few years ago. Grandpa goes to church now, every sunday, but it's not a catholic church. I haven't told him I've gone back, but I don't think he'd mind. For him, faith is faith and God is God. Prayers go to the same place.

I don't know what my mum would say or think.

So I guess I belong in this club. :)

LaPetiteSoeur

Can I belong? While most of my immediate family is practicing, my aunts and uncles are lapsed (one is Presbyterian) and so are two of my cousins. Two of my very, very good friends are non practicing.

We must pray for them! A sister friend prayed for my grandfather to convert--she did a novena in Poland to our Lady. At age 81, he was baptized into the faith. Perhaps, through our prayers, our families and friends will find God!