An Old School Catholic Message Board

The St. Monica Club

MissyP89

faithcecelia

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1314448723' post='2295774']
Happy feast day of St Monica! I am going down to the farmer's market, and then making MORE prayer cards. Hahaha!
[/quote]

Have a lovely day! I wasted almost my whole day off in bed with an eveil headache, Im okay now but its too late to do anything!

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1314448723' post='2295774']
Happy feast day of St Monica! I am going down to the farmer's market, and then making MORE prayer cards. Hahaha!
[/quote]
Happy Feast Day!

MargaretTeresa

Faith, please PM me your address so I can mail your card on Monday with the others! (or facebook me. either works)

MargaretTeresa

Sent out a batch of prayer cards. Pry will be my last for a while... at least until I figure out if peeps would buy them. As I study this book on iconography, I can do the style. Still no clue on egg tempera though.
I think my sister might have found out abt my discernment. Trying to wait it out and see what happens.

missionseeker

[quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1312687585' post='2282772']
I tell my parents that I learn everything online. LOL. Basically true.

While my vocation is to marriage (I think), my parents relaxed a lot about priests and religious after I brought home a seminarian friend. That was a doozy to pull off ("He's a PRIEST?" "In training, Mom."), but once they met him, everything was fine.

Then again, he talked about whiskey and guns with my dad. :like:
[/quote]

He was in Naples the other day and I was in Naples the other day and we MISSED each other. :( But he IS amesome. I can't wait till you convince your parents to let me visit. :| :P

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1314380873' post='2295313']
It's no trouble at all, Faith.

Please pray for me y'all. Just found put my dad lied to me abt my bill for my summer class being taken care of and the bursar is threatening to cancel my schedule.
[/quote]

Oh no!! Prayers!

SO I'm not *really* a member of this club, but I do have a story I want to share, for your encouragement.
My ex and I broke up about a year ago, but we work together, and we were good friends before and we are still "friends" (we don't go out of the way to hang out, but we work together and talk to each other). Sometimes it is really frustrating though, because the reason and the way we broke up were kind of not good and the people at work still drag it out. SO when I get frustrated or depressed about things, I'll say some prayers for him. He was baptized like 3 or 4 years ago, but I don't think he was Catechized very well. I got him to go to Mass with me once for Easter, but that was it. Any other time, I mentioned it, he kind of shut down. Yesterday I ran into him and was like "Oh, I have to go to Mass, but need food because I'm shaking very badly" and he was like "Oh I went to Mass for the first time since I went with you on Friday. I knew that I couldn't go on Saturday or Sunday so I went on Friday." :shock: That was the LAST thing I expected to hear him say. Idk if it will be a regular thing for him or if it was just a one time thing, but I was floored.

faithcecelia

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1314636150' post='2296916']

He was in Naples the other day and I was in Naples the other day and we MISSED each other. :( But he IS amesome. I can't wait till you convince your parents to let me visit. :| :P

Oh no!! Prayers!

SO I'm not *really* a member of this club, but I do have a story I want to share, for your encouragement.
My ex and I broke up about a year ago, but we work together, and we were good friends before and we are still "friends" (we don't go out of the way to hang out, but we work together and talk to each other). Sometimes it is really frustrating though, because the reason and the way we broke up were kind of not good and the people at work still drag it out. SO when I get frustrated or depressed about things, I'll say some prayers for him. He was baptized like 3 or 4 years ago, but I don't think he was Catechized very well. I got him to go to Mass with me once for Easter, but that was it. Any other time, I mentioned it, he kind of shut down. Yesterday I ran into him and was like "Oh, I have to go to Mass, but need food because I'm shaking very badly" and he was like "Oh I went to Mass for the first time since I went with you on Friday. I knew that I couldn't go on Saturday or Sunday so I went on Friday." :shock: That was the LAST thing I expected to hear him say. Idk if it will be a regular thing for him or if it was just a one time thing, but I was floored.
[/quote]

That is wonderful news, I will pray for him.

MT - one of my former sisters is an iconographer and she gave us a few conferences - 3 just to the noviciate and some to the whole community. It was absolutely facinating and one thing that I have taken to heart is that, when writing an icon, you cannot erase mistakes, you simply have to work them into the final image. I think that is [i]so[/i] true in life too!

This is one of hers, St Michael
[img]http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ruthbale/2.jpg[/img]

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1314644243' post='2296994']

That is wonderful news, I will pray for him.

MT - one of my former sisters is an iconographer and she gave us a few conferences - 3 just to the noviciate and some to the whole community. It was absolutely facinating and one thing that I have taken to heart is that, when writing an icon, you cannot erase mistakes, you simply have to work them into the final image. I think that is [i]so[/i] true in life too!

This is one of hers, St Michael
[img]http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ruthbale/2.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

That's lovely! I've started doing some of my cards in a joining of icon style - borders, the way the halos are, and symbolism - coupled with the way I paint anyway.

I found gesso and wood for painting at WalMart. They even have gold leaf! I think the worst part will be figuring out how to do the tempera.

But enough of that.

If my sister discovered my discernment, she has said nothing to my mom yet. She might just hold onto it and use as blackmail, which is something she would totes do. :doh:

faithcecelia

Veronice (the iconographer) went on a 3 day course to learn the techniques, she did explain it but I wouldn't try to pass it on! That particular icon is about 24 by 18" I think, we had it in the belltower which was right where we waited to go for confession. I love it and only days before I was sent away she gave me a little print which I still have.

Hope things go okay with your sister, but if she does know, maybe its time to go public with your parents?

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1314653312' post='2297047']
Hope things go okay with your sister, but if she does know, maybe its time to go public with your parents?
[/quote]

I'm going to wait for her to say something before saying something to them. :x