An Old School Catholic Message Board

The St. Monica Club

MissyP89

Twin, as nauseous as you'll feel, it might benefit you to just come out of the closet. (It's a fair phrase, here, I think.)

Telling my parents about my own reversion was a very, very bad night with a lot of tears from everyone involved ... but four years later, they know exactly who I am and what I stand for. It's not always easy, but that boldness and standing up for yourself is a step closer to freedom.

Granted, I'm not completely there yet, but I can live out my faith in relative peace now.

Start small. Let her catch you reading the Bible.

MargaretTeresa

It's not so much the Catholic thing... it's the discernment thing that's scary and makes me wanna :x . She's gonna go ape :hotstuff:

Oh, I know it's about your discernment ... but I think the reaction (apeturd, peel off the ceiling, etc) is the same. There are lots of people here, even from faithful families, whose parents struggled with their child's vocation. I don't really read VS, but I know if you ask, you'll find them.

And too, it's probably a good idea to start being more open with your Catholic bling. ;) If you're going to be a sister, they'll be seeing you with those things regularly.

BTW, I hope I don't sound like a know-it-all. I'm only offering suggestions ... it's been a very long road so far, but I found that getting a parent used to an idea works best in baby steps.

(I did have to peel my mother off the ceiling when I revealed I was dating a guy (a few years ago now) that I met here. It took two years before I was allowed to meet him. But that's a whole 'nother Pandora's box...parents are tough. Go slow.)

Orrrrrr you could just spring it all on her and save yourself the anxiety of wondering what she'll say/do.

;)

Your mileage may vary. I'm praying for you ... while our circumstances are different, I really do understand.

MargaretTeresa

Twin, the funny thing is that I do wear my Catholic "bling" when I'm home. All the time, actually. She just kind of ignores it.
It's entertaining how much she is trying to ignore. I'm sure, that if she looked at me when asking questions when we watched Sister Act, she would have notices how hard it was for me to bite my tongue and say I dunno.

TheresaThoma

You might be surprised at how much your mom guesses/knows is going on. I would suggest telling her sooner rather than later even if it makes you really nervous. A letter might be a good way to go about it. I gave my parents a letter and then left for the day. It allowed them to have some time to process through their emotions and initial reactions. Then when I came home we talked about it. (It was much much messier than this, crying, a little yelling etc but I think it helped.)

I'm kind of stuck in an awkward position, my mom informed me the other day that she doesn't like organized religion at all. She feels it just divides people. So now I am not sure how to tell her that I e-mailed some communities. Given that none of them has gotten back to me yet ( :( ) it isn't all that pressing but still.

MargaretTeresa

I will send my mom a letter once I move wherever. Or right before I move. Whatever. Distance, when it comes to my mom and I, is pry better.

Especially if she goes for my face again.

My former chaplain wrote and asked if I would come up and sing a few campus Masses until they can get some good freshmen. I'm a very strong alto, and there wasn't really anyone to replace me.

Of course, I don't have my license.

My mother has informed me I need to find new friends, because I'm out of college so I "don't belong at Newman anymore." That if Father needs a new alto, he should ask a current student, not me.

The hard thing is there are plenty of people my age and older at a diocese young adult group. That I can't go to. Because I can't drive.

Archaeology cat

So now that it's looking like we're moving to the US and will be living with my parents for a bit, I'm wondering if I can surreptitiously have the house blessed whilst they're out of the house. . . I think Fr Anand would do it (he's the priest who married us), though there's another priest who's closer, I just don't know him. But I'll be going to Mass there, so I suppose I could ask when I get there.

Things are really hard with my mum at the moment. She has never been overjoyed with me for changing my name, but just now she is having a massive rant (anyone who is my facebook friend may have seen that she is spamming all my status's about it) and is making me really cross. I have accepted she will not call me Faith and just let that go, but it [i][b]is[/b][/i] my name - legally, officially and emotionally - I think as Faith, I [i]am[/i] Faith.

MargaretTeresa

I'm praying for y'all! Please let me know when you get your cards, my Brit friends.

Please pray for me. I'm so confused about where God's calling me. I need some quiet time with God. Hopefully I will on Monday. Also, can't get to Mass tomorrow (staying with a Baptist friend), which is fine because I need to go to Confession anyway.
I'm really struggling. I feel like God is sending me mixed signals, like maybe I'm discerning the wrong vocation.
Please please pray for me. I need all the spiritual friends watching my 6 I can get

Second weekend without the Eucharist ...

Found out tonight we're going out of town crazy early tomorrow to help my cousin up north remodel his kitchen.

"You can just make a really big Confession next weekend, can't you?" I'm asked. Sigh.

So my friend was kind enough to bring me to Mass with her family tomorrow -- they live 10 minutes from my cousin. At least I get to be there, despite not being able to receive.

Mom just told me we're getting a tropical storm in a few days, and then tons of rain right up through Saturday -- the day I should be going to Confession.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!! I JUST WANT TO FIX MYSELF!

Prayers MT, Faith, and Missy. Missy, at least you'll have absolutely zero doubts about your contrition at this rate, if there was even a shadow of one before...heh. Fortunately you'll be able to drive before you know it!