An Old School Catholic Message Board

The St. Monica Club

MissyP89

I am obviously supposed to cook over what I've done for a whole month before I'm allowed out of jail this time. :topsy:

I think God has switched to extended time outs for me, or something. *goes to stand in the corner*

So you're saying that God is using a deterrence model on you? Punishment in deterrence theory should be swift, certain, and severe enough for the crime, but not more so. Usually it's best effective when the punishment is swift and certain, because actually waiting decreases the certainty and usually severity due to plea deals and dismissals. So God's like, "I could give swift and certain grace, or I could put her in time out and then it'll be certain but take a while."

...that made way more sense in my head. Prayers!

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1315099251' post='2299821']
I'm praying for y'all! Please let me know when you get your cards, my Brit friends.

Please pray for me. I'm so confused about where God's calling me. I need some quiet time with God. Hopefully I will on Monday. Also, can't get to Mass tomorrow (staying with a Baptist friend), which is fine because I need to go to Confession anyway.
I'm really struggling. I feel like God is sending me mixed signals, like maybe I'm discerning the wrong vocation.
Please please pray for me. I need all the spiritual friends watching my 6 I can get
[/quote]

MT I can't tell you for certain but I think that having doubts is normal. I found that I tend to doubt my vocation when I stray away from prayer and the Sacraments. Hold fast to those and things will work themselves out. I will be praying for you!

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1315099251' post='2299821']
I'm praying for y'all! Please let me know when you get your cards, my Brit friends.

Please pray for me. I'm so confused about where God's calling me. I need some quiet time with God. Hopefully I will on Monday. Also, can't get to Mass tomorrow (staying with a Baptist friend), which is fine because I need to go to Confession anyway.
I'm really struggling. I feel like God is sending me mixed signals, like maybe I'm discerning the wrong vocation.
Please please pray for me. I need all the spiritual friends watching my 6 I can get
[/quote]

MT, I know we've never really talked much, but I've been following your story and I think I might have some experiential advice that would help you. PM me if you'd like to talk. :)

P.S. I've been there, I know it's tough, and after four years of "the elephant in the room", my mom is finally starting to say things like, "if you are going to enter in august, I'm not renewing your phone plan"... etc. It gets easier.

Edit: My advice involves the quoted post above, the P.S. was re your mom.

Edited by Deus_te_Amat

Don't know whats going on with my mother, think the depression is worse but theres really little more they could do for her on the front. I have been extremely patient with her but now she is driving me muts. They go on a little holiday this week, so geographically will be nearer me, but won't have internet I dont think so cant constantly drive me potty!

Ash Wednesday

My brother got an eastern religion tattoo.

[img]http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/21824000/ngbbs4c9aa23407c50.jpg[/img]

St. Monica, pray for us.

As she is my patron saint, I would love a card or at least to know where I can get one.

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' timestamp='1315180545' post='2300255']
My brother got an eastern religion tattoo.

[img]http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/21824000/ngbbs4c9aa23407c50.jpg[/img]

St. Monica, pray for us.

As she is my patron saint, I would love a card or at least to know where I can get one.
[/quote]

PM me your address. Also, any specifications. Give me a week before it gets in the mail. :P

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1315182598' post='2300265']

PM me your address. Also, any specifications. Give me a week before it gets in the mail. :P
[/quote]

Youre in for a treat Ash Wednesday, MT's cards are beautiful!

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1315210532' post='2300445']

Youre in for a treat Ash Wednesday, MT's cards are beautiful!
[/quote]

:blush:

Without God, I wouldn't have the ability to paint these... and believe me, some of the first tries turned out hideous before I got the hang of it.

MissScripture

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1315176593' post='2300241']
Don't know whats going on with my mother, think the depression is worse but theres really little more they could do for her on the front. I have been extremely patient with her but now she is driving me muts. They go on a little holiday this week, so geographically will be nearer me, but won't have internet I dont think so cant constantly drive me potty!
[/quote]
I love your expressions. :hehe: To me, "potty" means the bathroom. :hehe2:

So, overall my family is quite Catholic. My parents are devout, we were all raised Catholic, my sister is in the convent. But my oldest brother has bounced from being Catholic to atheist to Catholic to atheist. Currently, he is atheist, but has come to realize that we aren't evil. So, he is coming with to visit my sister in the convent this next weekend. As amesome as that is, I'm expecting some awkwardness/difficulties, so any prayers would be appreciated. I know my mom has been praying to St. Monica for him. But then, on top of that, my grandparents are also coming with. They are Catholic, but I would say they don't really "own" their Catholicism, so to speak. They will listen to whatever their priest or their friends say, and some of their friends are rather out there, and their priest isn't the most orthodox either, so it can be a bit frustrating. And then, on top of that, they bring up the whole Catholicism thing with my brother at the most awkward times. We've kind of made it a point to NOT do that anymore, since he OBVIOUSLY knows what we think, and beating him over the head with it just drives him away. They aren't exactly on the same page with that, though. So, prayers for that would be much appreciated, too!
And I have to say, the more I read some of the stories in this thread, the more and more impressed I am with you all. I don't know that I would've had the resolve to be Catholic without my family being Catholic.

Prayers!

Edit: Mom told me on the phone that dad apparently watched the local news coverage of Mass at the Italian Heritage Festival this weekend at home. o.O

Edited by BG45

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='Archaeology cat' timestamp='1315755974' post='2303277']
Thanks for the card, MT! I got it a few days ago but forgot to get on to tell you. :)
[/quote]

No problem! Ash Wednesday, I'll being doing yours this week sometime. I got sick. Thank goodness for doctors. :)