An Old School Catholic Message Board

The St. Monica Club

MissyP89

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1318455278' post='2320300']
Pray for me. Will be starting the letter to my mother about my discernment etc. tonight.
[/quote]
Oh definitely prayers!! Those type of letters are hard to write. I would definitely suggest reading it to someone else that knows you really well. That can help you make sure you are making sense.

Pray for me. Will be starting the letter to my mother about my discernment etc. tonight.
[/quote]
Will do!

[/quote]

Thinking of and praying for you. Be strong!

MargaretTeresa

And Ash Wednesday, I finally managed to finish the card! Dang devil's been keeping me wrapped upin school work... GAH

MargaretTeresa. id yout pic your own draving of Clare? If so,and you do a Carmelite saint, can I put a job lot order in, please? I would like to use them as shange f address ehrn I do back ro painted front and plain back. I could want maybe 20+ and would gladly pay.

Clare~Therese

Hello St. Monica Club Phatmassers.
:)

How are you?

I've really been Captain Scrupulous lately and I don't like it.
My mom is having me talk to my priest about it next Wednesday at 5:30. I'm worried about it. And I'm thinking about going to go to Confession on Sunday to confess being scrupulous and stuff. Meh.

Last night I asked for St. Anthony to pray for me and this morning I woke up feeling fine as if I hadn't been feeling awful for the past two days or so. Yay!

[img]http://saints.sqpn.com/sta01011.jpg[/img]

Anyway...my aunt's family (on my mom's side) are just about the most Cafeterian (that's not a word but I just made it one :P ) Cafeteria Catholics I've ever seen. I won't go into the specific details, because I suppose y'all know what I mean--claiming they're Catholic but they support things against Church teaching. I'm worried about them. Also they hardly go to Mass or Confession or anything anyway, so...
I just...I don't know. It annoys me somewhat but most of all it just makes me concerned. And on top of all that, they're having big financial issues and they're in the middle of moving into a smaller house that I don't really think they like. So everybody's so focused on their temporal issues nobody really seems to be paying attention to their spiritual issues. Except me.
It's all dramatic and everything like a soap opera because my aunt wants to hide the situation from my grandfather and it's a mess. It's all a mess. So my grandmother asked me to pray a novena for them, so that's what I'm doing. It's a novena to St. Anthony, of course. :)
I know more about this whole situation than I should, really.
Oh and also my uncle's family (on my mom's side again) goes to Mass sometimes (I think?) but my uncle doesn't like the idea of being obedient to Mother Church.

Pray for us please.

[quote name='Clare~Therese' timestamp='1318472134' post='2320435']

I've really been Captain Scrupulous lately and I don't like it.
My mom is having me talk to my priest about it next Wednesday at 5:30. I'm worried about it. And I'm thinking about going to go to Confession on Sunday to confess being scrupulous and stuff. Meh.

[/quote]

Have you ever read I Believe in Love, which is a book on meditations on the life and teachings of St. Therese? That may really help you. I recommend that every Catholic reads it whether they have scrupulosity or not. It's simply the best book on spirituality I've ever read.

[/quote]

Also, take your time in writing it and pray before writing.

Clare~Therese

[quote name='tinytherese' timestamp='1318533483' post='2320720']

Have you ever read I Believe in Love, which is a book on meditations on the life and teachings of St. Therese? That may really help you. I recommend that every Catholic reads it whether they have scrupulosity or not. It's simply the best book on spirituality I've ever read.
[/quote]

I haven't read it, but if I ever find it at the Catholic store I go to sometimes I'll try to get it and read it. Thanks for the advice.

Edited to add:
Of course it would be about St. Therese, lol. She follows me everywhere.
:lol4:
And also: I found some quotes from it on the Internet after a quick search. It's making me all emotional and stuff.

[quote][i]We have been trained in the habit of looking at our dark side, our ugliness, and not at the purifying Sun, Light of Light, which He is, who changes the dust that we are into pure gold. We think about examining ourselves, yet we do not think, before the examination, during the examination, and after the examination, to plunge ourselves, with all our miseries, into the consuming and transforming furnace of His Heart, which is open to us through a humble act of confidence.

I am not telling you, 'You believe too much in your own wretchedness.' We are much more wretched than we ever realize. But I am telling you, 'You do not believe enough in merciful love.'
[b]We must have confidence, not in spite of our miseries, but because of them, since it is misery which attracts mercy[/b][/i][b].[/b][/quote]

Edited by Clare~Therese

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1318462461' post='2320349']
MargaretTeresa. id yout pic your own draving of Clare? If so,and you do a Carmelite saint, can I put a job lot order in, please? I would like to use them as shange f address ehrn I do back ro painted front and plain back. I could want maybe 20+ and would gladly pay.
[/quote]

This is not my depiction of St Clare. I actually haven't painted a St Clare yet. HOWEVER! I have done lots of Carmelites. Mostly St Teresa, St Therese and St Teresa de los Andes. I have also done a OLoMC, but without holding Jesus in the normal sense. I usualy have him bundled up and just a patch of hair. :hehe: But I would be happy to do them! Just a few things that will need clearing up... Such as, do you want a [i]St So-and-So, ora pro nobis[/i] with your change of address below?
Figure out how many you want so I can figure up supplies. And what saints, of course. :-p

ETA: some of my stuff is here: [url="http://missclaire7.deviantart.com/"]http://missclaire7.deviantart.com/[/url] My St Teresa de los Andes isn't my best work in that pic...

Edited by MargaretTeresa

AccountDeleted

I'm the only practising Catholic in my family and it's a hard thing not to be able to share my love for Jesus with them. My younger sister is an agnostic and she is very supportive of my religion and my vocation, but she doesn't understand of course, and I would love to be able to share it with her on a deeper level.

I have one brother who converted for his Catholic wife, but then she cheated on him so many times he divorced her, and now he won't practice his faith. When he went to the priest (before it all fell apart) the priest told him he wasn't satisfying his wife enough and that's why she cheats! He was disgusted and now won't have anything to do with the Church. His wife still does some of the externals from time to time (she had her son confirmed, which was great) but she hardly sets a good example to either my brother or her son by her behaviour.

My youngest brother is married to a Catholic who hasn't practised since she was in high school because he mother used to take them all to church until they were in high school, and then stopped going herself and said 'I've done my job, you're on your own now." So her kids stopped going too! My brother is a self-proclaimed atheist and his kids are all being raised that way.

My second eldest brother married a Catholic in a non-Church ceremony, but they did a good job of raising their kids in Catholic schools and all the sacraments until they were through high school too, then they all quit going to church!

My other siblings (I am one of nine) are mostly agnostic and some of them make fun of me, but the sad part for me is that they don't know the love of God in their hearts.

I think St Monica is wonderful example of perseverence in prayer for our loved ones... and leave the rest to God's mercy.

MargaretTeresa

So! I'm so happy! My Don Bosco medal I ordered came in the mail today. :woot: :cheer: :woot: AND the lady sends little bonuses. She sent me a little Sacred Heart medal!!! Bless her! A Sacred Heart medal was next on the list! I'm so happy! The funny thing is that I discovered the Sacred Heart the same day I started to really learn about the Salesians. :-)

[quote name='tinytherese' timestamp='1318568376' post='2321018']
I'd like to have a daughter named Monica.
[/quote]

2 lovely women from my home parish are called Monica, and have both been like mothers to me, which is lovely. One is always there with exactly the right thing to say when I feel low and is wonderfully easy to talk to. I was away at a conference with her when her father dies, and I was the one who ended up feeling blessed and comforted by her, it was phenominal.

The other is a spinster, 60ish, former teacher - and boy can you tell it! When we started doing the confirmation groups she was the background organiser, she did sooooo much work but got so little credit exept from the few of us who knew. At one point I had just cleared my debt but had no money - literally no money - for the month. She didn't know this, but one evening discreetly slipped an envelope into my hand saying 'Im sure theres something you need'. It was £100. She also annonymously (I know because she asked me for help doin it) saved my friends wedding reception by paying for the marquee which they had run out of money for.