An Old School Catholic Message Board

Occupy Wall Street Baloney

Lil Red

brandelynmarie

Last night while I was out, I saw about 8 people marching around town with signs. :| I couldn't tell if they were serious or in "costume".

:princess: :...: :donjohn: :...: :...: :frank: :...: :hippie: :...: :pirate: :o) :...: :spidey: :...: :smurf: :mrt:

Claiming something is peaceful doesn't make it peaceful.

That said, I have the feeling there's plenty of unjustified State-protected violence going on.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1319963330' post='2328900']

i missed the part where i said something offensive to all marines?
[/quote]

I was just pointing out the irony of telling someone "the next time he sees a marine" when all that someone has to do to see a marine is to look in the mirror.

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1320021963' post='2329129']

I was just pointing out the irony of telling someone "the next time he sees a marine" when all that someone has to do to see a marine is to look in the mirror.
[/quote]

i suppose. thats if he is actually a marine like you remember, he has yet to weigh in.

There is a very large amount of outrage from the Marine community and other veterans of other branches over what happened to Scott Olsen.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1319608010' post='2327177']
Wow, it appears that the Pope himself supports many of the ideas behind the Occupy Wallstreet Protests...
[url="http://www.npr.org/2011/10/24/141659992/occupy-wall-streets-most-unlikely-ally-the-pope"]http://www.npr.org/2...y-ally-the-pope[/url]
[/quote]

figured i would repost this, normally a post about the Pope gets a little more attention round these parts, y'all musta been preoccupied!

:P

[quote name='kamiller42']

A wonderful example of why NPR should be defunded. They can't get it right; they only go left.

The latest paper from a Vatican council does not equal papal endorsement.

Second, none of the quotes from the papal encyclical mentioned in the article conflict with conservative thinking. Conservatives have always called for a free and [b]fair[/b] market, fairness in competition, employment, and responsibilities. The problem with liberal/progressive thinking is in believing the government is the source and summit of fairness. If there is inequality today, it is more than likely because government is the cause of it.

I wonder if those who take joy in the possibility of the pope siding with their opinions would share such joy when the pope truly speaks with authority on other matters, like Catholic teachings and the necessity of being in union with Christ's church, the Catholic Church.[/quote]

i figured i would run your post by a catholic friend of mine, and see if you had the right of it (my learning of catholic doctrine and history by osmosis only goes so deep) here is what she had to say about it. (i got her permission to copy her response :) )

[quote]well he's right about a few things

first, he is correct that the statement is from the Vatican, which does not mean that it's from the Pope
and he is correct that the quotes from the Pope in the article are from Caritatis in Veritate
which was one of his recent encyclicals which came out mebbe 6 months, a year ago?
and it is true that the quotes taken from that encyclical in the article are soemwhat neutral in that they don't directly oppose some conservative principles
however
the underlying structure of Caritatis in Veritate is an emphasis on social justice which, in many points, does not line up with historically conservative thinking
it is much more in line with the Catholic concepts of distributism.
however, it does not explicitly condemn capitalism or anything like that, but instead emphasizes the areas where capitalist systems are wrong
and the ways that they should be corrected to emphasize human dignity.

so, while his post isn't necessarily wrong, it isnt necessarily right either.

the Pope's position does not support or condemn the protesters, it supports some of the underlying ideas and would refute others

I'd emphasize that the underpinnings of Catholic social justice can't be ignored

[some questions by me]

yeah, it has a lot to do with the social position of the Church in terms of socio-economic justice and how it relates to the Christian position that we were charged with the care and keeping of those who were less fortunate.
most Christians tend to overlook their obligation on the poor and it is stated plainly as such in scripture, it is an obligation, not a choice.

however, his counter is going to be that the conservative position is that people should keep their money and be able to give to charity etc as they choose, and that government should not be in the business of deciding who gets charity,which isn't a wrong position, imho.

but the point is that the protesters are arguing against a system that exploits the people, most especially the poor
that is the takeaway big bullet point from the protests that everyone should agree on
[/quote]

:)

Edited by Jesus_lol

dominicansoul

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1320046941' post='2329263']

figured i would repost this, normally a post about the Pope gets a little more attention round these parts, y'all musta been preoccupied!

[/quote]

i think you ignored kamiller's response to this... if NPR says the POPE is behind something, I usually ignore them... :hehe2:

This isn't an official statement from the Vatican or the Pope.... (but it's a given that the Pope is totally against GREED)

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1320062724' post='2329296']

i think you ignored kamiller's response to this... if NPR says the POPE is behind something, I usually ignore them... :hehe2:

This isn't an official statement from the Vatican or the Pope.... (but it's a given that the Pope is totally against GREED)
[/quote]

He actually addressed kamiller's reply - it's the post just above yours. There's a lot of selective reading in this thread (and on the Debate Table in general).

The pope's against corporatism (NPR doesn't understand how concentration of wealth comes about, so they think anyone opposing it must want more government regulation.) and shows little understanding of the nature of regulations. I think a few hours with Tom Woods would help.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' timestamp='1320046941' post='2329263']

[/quote]

Fr. Reese seems to think the Pope is a liberal Democrat, he correctly criticizes people who think he is a Republican but he makes the exact same mistake. Earth to Americans the Pope is not an American politician!!!!!!!

Nor is he an economist. However it is true that unregulated capitalism is about as far away from "a people-centered" economics as possible. Pure capitalism has profits at the center. A truly ethical (and Catholic) economic system has goals that revolve around human beings, their material and spiritual welfare.

Something lucid to wash down Reese's stupidity.

[url="http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=141661518&live=1"]http://www.npr.org/t...41661518&live=1[/url]

Edited by Winchester

dominicansoul

[quote name='Adrestia' timestamp='1320065564' post='2329309']

He actually addressed kamiller's reply - it's the post just above yours. There's a lot of selective reading in this thread (and on the Debate Table in general).
[/quote]

no, his friend addressed it...

kamiller was correct in saying, it is NOT an official statement from the Pope, and it is definitely NOT a Papal endorsement of Occupy Wall Street protests...

Edited by dominicansoul

Whether you agree or disagree with the statement isn't at question.

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1320068052' post='2329324']

no, his friend addressed it...

kamiller was correct in saying, it is NOT an official statement from the Pope, and it is definitely NOT a Papal endorsement of Occupy Wall Street protests...
[/quote]
He addressed it by posting it along with his friends response. As usual, I give up. Fine. If you want to say that posting a quoted comment with a quoted response written by a friend = ignoring, fine. I'm going back to the lame board where I belong.

dominicansoul

[quote name='Norseman82' timestamp='1320021963' post='2329129']

[/quote]

:hehe2:

dominicansoul

[quote name='Adrestia' timestamp='1320069971' post='2329334']
Whether you agree or disagree with the statement isn't at question.

He addressed it by posting it along with his friends response. As usual, I give up. Fine. If you want to say that posting a quoted comment with a quoted response written by a friend = ignoring, fine. I'm going back to the lame board where I belong.
[/quote]
I know, it was a stretch, wasn't it? :hehe2:

Anyways, I just want to reiterate that in no shape or form is our Pope endorsing these protests...