An Old School Catholic Message Board

Rights Vs. Morals

Oremoose

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1319137536' post='2324313'] Is it?[/quote]
What is stopping you?
What country do you live in? China?

[quote name='rizz_loves_jesus' timestamp='1319160160' post='2324458']

Yeah, really. :rolleyes:

"If you are not free to choose wrongly and irresponsibly, you are not free at all." Jacob Hornberger
[/quote]
Ridiculous. I should not be free to kill my neighbor for blowing his leaves in my yard. Freedom is not being free to do whatever tickles your fancy...rather freedom is being free to choose was is right.

rizz_loves_jesus

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1319209038' post='2324666']
Ridiculous. I should not be free to kill my neighbor for blowing his leaves in my yard. Freedom is not being free to do whatever tickles your fancy...rather freedom is being free to choose was is right.
[/quote]

Killing someone would be infringing on someone else's right to live. Murder is a little more than irresponsible.

Victimless crimes, even those that are immoral, do not hurt anyone besides the people who commit them. They should not exist in a free society.

[quote name='rizz_loves_jesus' timestamp='1319209601' post='2324670']

Victimless crimes, even those that are immoral, do not hurt anyone besides the people who commit them. They should not exist in a free society.
[/quote]

So suicide should exist in a free society?

So prostitution should exist in a free society?

[quote name='rizz_loves_jesus' timestamp='1319209601' post='2324670']

Killing someone would be infringing on someone else's right to live. Murder is a little more than irresponsible.

[/quote]
Someone holding a knife to my wife's neck forfeits his right to live. Me using my .357 to save her life would not be irresponsible.

rizz_loves_jesus

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1319210629' post='2324683']
Someone holding a knife to my wife's neck forfeits his right to live. Me using my .357 to save her life would not be irresponsible.
[/quote]

No one has ever condemned killing out of defense.

rizz_loves_jesus

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1319209928' post='2324673']

So suicide should exist in a free society?[/quote]

Are you saying those who try to commit suicide and fail should be prosecuted and be convicted of a crime?

[quote]So prostitution should exist in a free society?
[/quote]

Sure, as long as it's a consenting adult. The way to fight things like prostitution and drugs is through societal change, not more government regulation.

rizz_loves_jesus

1. Do you really think that is the best way to treat someone who is obviously very mentally unstable? To put them through a criminal trial? Really?

2. It infringes on the rights of no one.

Edited by rizz_loves_jesus

[quote name='rizz_loves_jesus' timestamp='1319211215' post='2324686']

Are you saying those who try to commit suicide and fail should be prosecuted and be convicted of a crime?

Sure, as long as it's a consenting adult. The way to fight things like prostitution and drugs is through societal change, not more government regulation.
[/quote]
Who's going to regulate the legal industry of prostitution and drugs, if not the government? The clean and honest unions?

rizz_loves_jesus

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1319212428' post='2324700']
Who's going to regulate the legal industry of prostitution and drugs, if not the government? The clean and honest unions?
[/quote]

Well, they'd be off the streets. Drug gangs wouldn't even exist, because importation of drugs wouldn't have to be done in secret. Business owners would be responsible for their product, as in any other industry. Same with prostitution.

[quote name='rizz_loves_jesus' timestamp='1319211927' post='2324694']
1. Do you really think that is the best way to treat someone who is obviously very mentally unstable? To put them through a criminal trial? Really?

2. It infringes on the rights of no one.
[/quote]
1) I agree with the legal process of it all. If they are mentally unstable, they would be found that way and other things would happen.

2) Your original argument is that it 'hurt' no one and was victimless. Now you are saying it infringes on no one rights.... which one is it? or is it all of them?

[quote name='rizz_loves_jesus' timestamp='1319212611' post='2324702']

Well, they'd be off the streets. Drug gangs wouldn't even exist, because importation of drugs wouldn't have to be done in secret. Business owners would be responsible for their product, as in any other industry. Same with prostitution.
[/quote]
If drugs become legal do you really think the gangs/druglords are going to quietly move on and go sell sherbet?
Nevada has legal prostitution, yet they still battle illegal prostitution.

rizz_loves_jesus

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1319212889' post='2324705']
1) I agree with the legal process of it all. If they are mentally unstable, they would be found that way and other things would happen.[/quote]

Interesting. Wouldn't it also make sense, then, to prosecute someone who has been cutting/burning themselves? Would they not technically be guilty of assault?

[quote]2) Your original argument is that it 'hurt' no one and was victimless. Now you are saying it infringes on no one rights.... which one is it? or is it all of them?
[/quote]

All of them. There is legal victim, no legal rights are infringed upon, and no person is hurt except those who participate.

[quote name='rizz_loves_jesus' timestamp='1319213771' post='2324714']

Interesting. Wouldn't it also make sense, then, to prosecute someone who has been cutting/burning themselves? Would they not technically be guilty of assault?

All of them. There is legal victim, no legal rights are infringed upon, and no person is hurt except those who participate.
[/quote]
1) perchance
2) I would say the wife (spouse) would be hurt.