An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Papist And Mikolbe And Anyone Born Before 1976 Thread

MIKolbe

homeschoolmom

il_fullxfull.274950995.jpg

I spent a year of junior high trying to dress like a 1930s newsie. Complete with cap and kneesocks. What the heck???

homeschoolmom

user-image-1208282163_thumb.jpg

I got this for Christmas one year....

I still have mine and I know exactly where it is right at this moment. :woot:

dominicansoul

I still have mine and I know exactly where it is right at this moment. :woot:

i have mine too, but i have no idea where i put it.. :woot:

homeschoolmom

i have mine too, but i have no idea where i put it.. :woot:

I gave it to my kids to use when they were learning their math facts, but they did not find it nearly as exciting as I did.

I also had this: !B0FYt7QCWk~$(KGrHqF,!jcEw5Eush!zBMY)(g6

which was a horrible name for a game. "Hey! Anyone wanna play 'Touch Me'? No? Okay, I'll play 'Touch Me' by myself."

OK... back in the mid-1980's, I spent money for my FIRST personal WORD PROCESSOR... and almost a laptop prototype!  It was pretty cutting edge in the mid 1980s -- a functional word processor that you could move around like a small compact typewriter!!!  (There's a retractable handle in the front and center.... weighed about 8 lbs... not bad....

quickdisk-dscf1256.jpg

These things were big back then if you couldn't afford a new apple or compac or whatever....   It literally let you store about a page or two on a little disk (NOT a 3.5 inch standard disk, mind you, but a 3 inch one.   Not compatible with anything else!  And THAT was the big drawback!)  (pictures and more info in link below....).   BUT, you could link the discs with a code combo that told lthe machine to hold on, I'm putting in another disc.... and that way do a 25 page paper pretty easily!  Even handled FOOTNOTES!

Higher level geeks might find whole article interesting..... but makes me sad....

http://cromwell-intl.com/technical/quickdisk-recovery.html

BUT -- it did beautiful work, you could change typefaces and even type sizes... even if you did have to put IN the hard return each line and add other fomatting codes, it still worked pretty well.  Got me thru the end of my BA degree -- but now we would laugh at it... and of course it was about a 3 minute per page print time, too....

I haven't been able to make myself part with mine....   but the article (above) tells me that even if it is in pristine, working condition (it was when last turned on) it won't work.  I figgured it probably wasn't usable, but it was a pretty nifty idea for the time.  And I still have my disks (which they called 'discs') too....

SO... I got me a high-tech doorstop with a handle --with accessories -- in my basement!

What do YOU have in YOUR basements?

quickdisk-dscf1257.jpg

quickdisk-dscf1258.jpg

Edited by AnneLine