An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Papist And Mikolbe And Anyone Born Before 1976 Thread

MIKolbe

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen these sorts of homemade laser spiros before, they are extremely clever and this example is very well made.

I've been curious about making a custom spirograph set with the laser. I can cut acrylic gears without too much difficulty once I have shapefiles generated. I wonder...

homeschoolmom

I know that I used to have that spirograph at my mom's house. I'm pretty sure she still has it. :|

eta: I bet she never plays with it anymore....

homeschoolmom

Do you see how avvesome that set is? They used to trust 6 year olds with pins! We also had this later set (which must have been bought for me, the other one being my older brother's). See how already the pins were replaced by those stupid orange plastic things that don't really do anything?? <sigh> Nothing more frustrating than getting halfway through a beautiful spirograph only to have the wheel slip! :wall:

KENNERS_SPIROGRAPH_DRAWING_SET_1421_BASE

Dot Matrix printing

e_mx%2080.jpg

Still around but not in the capacity it used to be.

No one makes dot matrix banners with sheets of connected printer paper anymore.

Yes they do ... there are some long dot matrix printers at work, and yep.  You can order the paper.

OK... back in the mid-1980's, I spent money for my FIRST personal WORD PROCESSOR... and almost a laptop prototype!  It was pretty cutting edge in the mid 1980s -- a functional word processor that you could move around like a small compact typewriter!!!  (There's a retractable handle in the front and center.... weighed about 8 lbs... not bad....

quickdisk-dscf1256.jpg

These things were big back then if you couldn't afford a new apple or compac or whatever....   It literally let you store about a page or two on a little disk (NOT a 3.5 inch standard disk, mind you, but a 3 inch one.   Not compatible with anything else!  And THAT was the big drawback!)  (pictures and more info in link below....).   BUT, you could link the discs with a code combo that told lthe machine to hold on, I'm putting in another disc.... and that way do a 25 page paper pretty easily!  Even handled FOOTNOTES!

Higher level geeks might find whole article interesting..... but makes me sad....

http://cromwell-intl.com/technical/quickdisk-recovery.html

BUT -- it did beautiful work, you could change typefaces and even type sizes... even if you did have to put IN the hard return each line and add other fomatting codes, it still worked pretty well.  Got me thru the end of my BA degree -- but now we would laugh at it... and of course it was about a 3 minute per page print time, too....

I haven't been able to make myself part with mine....   but the article (above) tells me that even if it is in pristine, working condition (it was when last turned on) it won't work.  I figgured it probably wasn't usable, but it was a pretty nifty idea for the time.  And I still have my disks (which they called 'discs') too....

SO... I got me a high-tech doorstop with a handle --with accessories -- in my basement!

What do YOU have in YOUR basements?

quickdisk-dscf1257.jpg

quickdisk-dscf1258.jpg

I HAD ONE OF THOSE ... it sure helped me do papers in college (until I was able to get onto a computer with word on it).

But mine was the word processor/typewriter combo that Smith Corona had.  Two separate things.  It was GREAT.  I think mine did use 3.5 inch floppies in their own propriatery format.

And yep, couldn't afford my own computer.

I used one of those... and seriously considered the 'next step up' - the separate screen and printer!

I know what you mean about not being able to afford the first computers -- they were the cost of several MONTHS of salary!!!!!  The PWP was only about a week's salary.... more than what we just paid for a 4G laptop with all the bells and whistles available in 2012!

SmithCoronaPWP7000LTwithPrinterandPropri

I seriously considered getting that, but decided I liked the all-in-one design.  It was a little smaller and you could actually put batteries in it and move it around separately from the printer!   Lighter!   Mobile!   I fantasized using it in the PARK!!!!!

But at that point I was about to enter a convent & had been told I could bring this one.  Didn't end up doing that... but LOVED the thing. I still do... it's sitting behind me but after reading the link, I have a fear it is just coroded whatevers inside of it.... but it was a GREAT little word processor!!!  No bells, no whistles, but what it was supposed to do it did FLAWLESSLY.   Great on forms, great for addressing repeating letters.  Just a good all-around word processor.  Sigh....

Here's a great link to the whole progression... like watching the 1960-s through 80's on one page....

I feel a little older when I see it is called the 'virtual typewriter museum'...

https://www.smithcorona.com/blog/smith-corona-virtual-typewriter-museum/electonic-typewriters-gadgets-printers-and-word-processors/

Edited by AnneLine