An Old School Catholic Message Board

Phatmass Quest!- Commentary Thread

PhuturePriest

brianthephysicist

[quote name='Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye' timestamp='1335919711' post='2425864']
can move the paper to check the rest of the star chart. It looks like a heap of triangles, so we probably can start with the base of the triangle where at one corner of ,assuming the pointer arrow is us, and 87 light years is the distance between us and the other numbered destination, assuming the other side(not the base) is equal to the 87 light years and with the law of guesstamation it looks pretty close, lol i'm trying to sound like i know what i'm talking about. But anyhow if it is possible maybe the base of that triangle can be figured out but i wouldn't have a clue how to. It may be a start anyhow and something to do for a while till another light bulb. C'mon googie eggs, God iz with you,we need to breath life into the star chart. :)
[/quote]

Good guesstimations, but unfortunately I don't think the guesstimations will be of any use to us. Even exact measurements wouldn't really be of use because space is oriented in 3D. Just because a line appears to be shorter when projected in 2D doesn't mean that it is.

Great thinking though, keep it up!

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1335916064' post='2425842']
One other thought... could it be that it takes so long for the GM to get back to us becuase he is in a galaxy far, far away? He claims to be at a bakery... but I wonder where that bakery might be!

Now I had best run and hide! ;)
[/quote]

Well tonight I had to watch my sister get confirmed, and tomorrow will come too soon. I'm going to bed. :)

TheresaThoma

(Ok a tidbit that I got from being in Chat with Fink as he was drawing this; its not a real start chart. So we should be overthinking it.)
My assumption is that he is currently at 116172 and his starting point was 227186. Te distance listed on the chart and the time function both confirm this. I, like Brian, though am hestitant to start the journey. Things get odd when you start traveling close to/at the speed of light. Plus we have no idea how this ship behaves (ie speed etc) so I think we need to figure out a way to find out a bit more.

PS Brian I think the term you were looking for earlier is "look back time"

Congratulations & blessings to your sister, ARFink! But you want SLEEP at a time like this???!!!!\

Great ideas from everyone.... Tab'le, you were thinking sort-of along the way I was, but I think Brian and Theresa raise good points. I have no clue where to go from here.

Maybe ARFink has the right idea... sleep on it and see if like St. Joseph we get a dream to tell us which way to go next....

fides' Jack

I was liking this thread until the FTL time came up.

It is impossible to go the speed of light through conventional means (meaning with enough thrust behind you). If the ship has a way to travel faster than light, then it's not through conventional means, and therefore relativity doesn't apply. Meaning that the date wouldn't need to be compensated for.

Unless it's some sort of combination of the two? Hm... I'll have to think about that over some spam.

[quote name='fides' Jack' timestamp='1335982984' post='2426128']
I was liking this thread until the FTL time came up.

It is impossible to go the speed of light through conventional means (meaning with enough thrust behind you). If the ship has a way to travel faster than light, then it's not through conventional means, and therefore relativity doesn't apply. Meaning that the date wouldn't need to be compensated for.

Unless it's some sort of combination of the two? Hm... I'll have to think about that over some spam.
[/quote]

I will make sense. Be patient.

brianthephysicist

[quote name='arfink' timestamp='1335983883' post='2426131']
I will make sense. Be patient.
[/quote]
Kolbe doesn't want people to make sense, he wants people to make him sammiches.

So we will patiently eat our spam (a penance if ever there was one!) and await the return of our GM.... who is off breaking bread somewhere...

fides' Jack

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1335988513' post='2426155']
So we will patiently eat our spam (a penance if ever there was one!) and await the return of our GM.... who is off breaking [s]bread[/s] wind somewhere...
[/quote]

I'm sure he is...

Here I am, going to be off Phatmass for THREE DAYS after tonight..... snifff.

Well, I might have a bit of accesss....

You enjoy your time away.... we know you are plotting good stuff for us....

We're learning the cat chorus over here.... we will plan to do a meeting under your window if you keep us in suspence much longer.

We can plan to practice when ARFink doesn't give us new stuff, OK? Or maybe the rest of you have better ideas for our wait time?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d63jKihoYRg[/media]

Perhaps those who are going to the Meeetup can post a practice tape for us of all you singing it?

Edited by AnneLine