An Old School Catholic Message Board

Modesty And Swimwear...

Annie12

LaPetiteSoeur

I am getting mine from landsend. They have a skirt option, which I am definitely getting, and their swimsuits are pretty modest. I only swim at my house, so no one sees me, but it makes me feel better. Their suits are well made and well priced.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1338234175' post='2436485']
So modesty is whatever wearer wants it to be, i.e. Relative. I see now
[/quote] No it is not, the point is one size or one outfit or style doesn't cover all. Culture and context is important.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1338234447' post='2436488']
[img]http://www.brainygamer.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/08/14/oz_scarecrow_1.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

I love when people post self portraits.

Winchester

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1338235650' post='2436501']
No it is not, the point is one size or one outfit or style doesn't cover all. Culture and context is important.
[/quote]
No, no, no. There is a rulebook somewhere that clearly delineates all fashions and rates them. Inferior cultures must be put to the (Cruciform) sword.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1338235883' post='2436505']
I love when people post self portraits.
[/quote]
I put that up so you could knock it down.

No it is not, the point is one size or one outfit or style doesn't cover all. Culture and context is important.
[/quote]

I did not take from any post the understanding it is one size fits all. Too many people think that posts that contain anything that is contrary to the way they think or do, that the post is directed at them personally and saying they are wrong and in need of change. It could be the fact it is an online forum and 'you' is used, which is interpreted as 'you personally' rather than 'you in general', which I think is happening here. I mean who wants to be told they are immodest.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1338226635' post='2436430']
I think we should post pictures of women in immodest swimwear, so we can disapprove of them.

But only attractive women, so that we're not unfairly biased against the outfit.
[/quote]

I know you're being your typical Winchester self, but this post has reminded me of something -

I always get the general sense in modesty discussions that modesty in dress is relative to physical attractiveness. In other words, the majority of men won't think (or look) twice at a woman they consider "unattractive" but will stop and stare at a woman they do consider "attractive," whether she be half naked or in a sweatsuit. So in one respect I have the opinion that modesty discussions can be bias. I easily fall into this trap too - I mean, when I think "what is a modest and immodest swimsuit" the very first image that pops into my mind is of a 20 or 30-something cute woman with a fit physique. In other words, are "we" (a general "we") primarily concerned about what "attractive" women wear when it comes to lust...or what? (Keeping in mind I'm only talking about DRESS here, not modesty of mind and behavior.)

HisChildForever

[/quote]

I completely agree with this. To some in this thread, my wearing skinny jeans and a tank top is scandalous, but when I wear this outfit to the mall, in comparison to what other women are wearing, I'm pretty modestly dressed. Moreover, men and women are so used to seeing booty shorts and tube tops that it's almost like - nothing is a "surprise" or a "shock" anymore. It's the norm and no one really bats an eye at it. That doesn't make it acceptable, but it's not like you see droves of men following women around in the mall because their shorts are a little too short and a little too snug.

[/quote] I don't know.. I think there is a line that even culture and context shouldn't cross when it comes to modest dress. A man (or woman) does not think differently or wear different eyes when swimming or laying out.

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1338237816' post='2436524']
I know you're being your typical Winchester self, but this post has reminded me of something -

I always get the general sense in modesty discussions that modesty in dress is relative to physical attractiveness. In other words, the majority of men won't think (or look) twice at a woman they consider "unattractive" but will stop and stare at a woman they do consider "attractive," whether she be half naked or in a sweatsuit. So in one respect I have the opinion that modesty discussions can be bias. I easily fall into this trap too - I mean, when I think "what is a modest and immodest swimsuit" the very first image that pops into my mind is of a 20 or 30-something cute woman with a fit physique. In other words, are "we" (a general "we") primarily concerned about what "attractive" women wear when it comes to lust...or what? (Keeping in mind I'm only talking about DRESS here, not modesty of mind and behavior.)
[/quote] I don't think it's relative. The concern shouldn't be with just attractiveness, but with all women (and men). Another point: as Gabriel in the modesty video says, care should be taken when clothing our children even before puberty, so that they don't think it's okay to keep dressing the way they have been dressing once they do hit puberty.

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1338234175' post='2436485']
So modesty is whatever wearer wants it to be, i.e. Relative. I see now
[/quote]

I would say modesty is relative...but perhaps not in the way you are explaining it. (or seeing it)

If a lady were to put on a swimsuit; and then ask, "is this the most modest swimsuit I can wear?", and the answer is no; would she be obligated 100% of the time to find a new swimsuit? The answer, I submit, is relative. If she is wearing the latest barely-there swimsuit by G-String Incorporated; yes..honey go cover yourself up. If she is wearing one of those two piece things that are like a top and a shirt at the same time, and some nice bottoms....I am not so sure...Because I am sure there is always something MORE modest than what she has. Now, she can play this fashion-plate 'modesty' game ad infinitum or not.

I think (especially given the swimwear norms and fashions these days) a women attempting to be modest will be seen as such... oh wow a bikini...oh wow a g string.... oh wow that top is 3 sizes too small....and then WHAT?!??!..she must be a nun or something....

I say we give people praise for the attempt, and encouragement and guidance in their attempted implementation. (not that I am trying to imply you don't)

At some point, I theorize there is a law of diminishing returns on the soul as it concerns modesty...

[quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1338238084' post='2436529']
I completely agree with this. To some in this thread, my wearing skinny jeans and a tank top is scandalous, but when I wear this outfit to the mall, in comparison to what other women are wearing, I'm pretty modestly dressed. Moreover, men and women are so used to seeing booty shorts and tube tops that it's almost like - nothing is a "surprise" or a "shock" anymore. It's the norm and no one really bats an eye at it. That doesn't make it acceptable, but it's not like you see droves of men following women around in the mall because their shorts are a little too short and a little too snug.
[/quote] Although droves of men aren't following women around (because such a thing would be socially frowned upon at best), they are definitely still looking. Walking to class for me on campus during the warm months is always such a test that I have to either stare at the ground or at clouds and tree-tops to completely guard my eyes (it's a long walk). A guy doesn't even have to try to lust at women who are wearing snug short-shorts and/or revealing tops; it just happens. It doesn't just happen when she is truly dressed modestly, though.

It's not really about being seen as modest in comparison to others. It's about whether our dress too easily enables another to sin; if this is the case, we run the risk ourselves of committing the grave sin of sacrilege.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Hubertus' timestamp='1338240703' post='2436552']
Although droves of men aren't following women around (because such a thing would be socially frowned upon at best), they are definitely still looking. Walking to class for me on campus during the warm months is always such a test that I have to either stare at the ground or at clouds and tree-tops to completely guard my eyes (it's a long walk). A guy doesn't even have to try to lust at women who are wearing snug short-shorts and/or revealing tops; it just happens. It doesn't just happen when she is truly dressed modestly, though.

It's not really about being seen as modest in comparison to others. It's about whether our dress too easily enables another to sin; if this is the case, we run the risk ourselves of committing the grave sin of sacrilege.
[/quote]

I have two comments here. One, "looking" does not always entail "lusting." Two, could it be possible that you are hypersensitive to women's dress (perhaps have some fear of catching sight of a woman in a short skirt) because the issue of modesty/immodesty concerns you? If the latter is true I find that a bit disconcerting (to be uber focused or concerned). The human body can be sexualized but it's also beautiful. Maybe keep that in mind as you travel across campus.

Edited by HisChildForever

princessgianna

I have seen two women wear the same dress with drastic results.
One looks very modest and the other not.

I believe part of this to happen because[b] how[/b] we wear something make a differance. How we wear something is determined not only by physical make-up but our grace/poise,current circumstances, our attitude, and our spiritual state of life.

[quote name='princessgianna' timestamp='1338241668' post='2436567']
I have seen two women wear the same dress with drastic results.
One looks very modest and the other not.

I believe part of this to happen because[b] how[/b] we wear something make a differance. How we wear something is determined not only by physical make-up but our grace/poise,current circumstances, our attitude, and our spiritual state of life.
[/quote]

Don't be bitter because I strut what I got. If I'm going to take the time to put on a nice dress and get made up then I'm at least going to make sure I can turn some heads.