An Old School Catholic Message Board

Modesty And Swimwear...

Annie12

I've tried to read the last 8.5 pages or so, but I figured it's a bit easier to respond to the original post. Here's what the Catechism has to say about the topic of modesty. It confirms various things said above:
[quote]2521 Purity requires modesty, an integral part of temperance. Modesty protects the intimate center of the person. It means refusing to unveil what should remain hidden. It is ordered to chastity to whose sensitivity it bears witness. It guides how one looks at others and behaves toward them in conformity with the dignity of persons and their solidarity.

2522 Modesty protects the mystery of persons and their love. It encourages patience and moderation in loving relationships; it requires that the conditions for the definitive giving and commitment of man and woman to one another be fulfilled. Modesty is decency. It inspires one's choice of clothing. It keeps silence or reserve where there is evident risk of unhealthy curiosity. It is discreet.

2523 There is a modesty of the feelings as well as of the body. It protests, for example, against the voyeuristic explorations of the human body in certain advertisements, or against the solicitations of certain media that go too far in the exhibition of intimate things. Modesty inspires a way of life which makes it possible to resist the allurements of fashion and the pressures of prevailing ideologies.

2524 The forms taken by modesty vary from one culture to another. Everywhere, however, modesty exists as an intuition of the spiritual dignity proper to man. It is born with the awakening consciousness of being a subject. Teaching modesty to children and adolescents means awakening in them respect for the human person.[/quote]

While going swimming with family is one thing, and modesty matters less in that case, swimming in public is a different matter. If you think that modesty should be practiced at all times (and I suggest it should), then the question you should ask yourself whether or not you feel that your swimsuit adequately covers what ought to be covered and if it it encourages decency. I agree that some men are just going to be pigs regardless of what you wear, I think it's also good to encourage good behavior by your own actions as well.

There's a lot of speculation about what should be covered in different societies, so perhaps it's best to look at the society around you and see what society thinks should be covered and what is okay to leave uncovered. It might help to consider yourself as a mystery and how much you are willing to reveal. Asking these sorts of questions might help you come to a better understanding of what you consider modest and appropriate swimwear.

Hope this helps! :)

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1338247203' post='2436678']
I've tried to read the last 8.5 pages or so, but I figured it's a bit easier to respond to the original post. Here's what the Catechism has to say about the topic of modesty. It confirms various things said above:

While going swimming with family is one thing, and modesty matters less in that case, swimming in public is a different matter. If you think that modesty should be practiced at all times (and I suggest it should), then the question you should ask yourself whether or not you feel that your swimsuit adequately covers what ought to be covered and if it it encourages decency. I agree that some men are just going to be pigs regardless of what you wear, I think it's also good to encourage good behavior by your own actions as well.

There's a lot of speculation about what should be covered in different societies, so perhaps it's best to look at the society around you and see what society thinks should be covered and what is okay to leave uncovered. It might help to consider yourself as a mystery and how much you are willing to reveal. Asking these sorts of questions might help you come to a better understanding of what you consider modest and appropriate swimwear.

Hope this helps! :)
[/quote]

Inb4 someone says "society is evil herp derp"

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1338247376' post='2436683']
[/quote]I made sure to quote that section of the Catechism intentionally. ;)

HisChildForever

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1338247376' post='2436683']
[/quote]

Herp derp? rofl.

Groo the Wanderer

all THIS from one poor soul asking an innocent question pondering if her swimsuit was modest or not

geeze

next thing you know it will be further hijacked into 'same sex immodest democrat swimsuits in the military'

Edited by Groo the Wanderer

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' timestamp='1338258814' post='2436828']
all THIS from one poor soul asking an innocent question pondering if her swimsuit was modest or not

geeze
[/quote]

yeah, but i think we all saw the debate coming. just a matter of time in any thread on modesty.

HisChildForever

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' timestamp='1338302985' post='2437075']
yeah, but i think we all saw the debate coming. just a matter of time in any thread on modesty.
[/quote]

I expected to read a lengthy post and I got this instead...you're like me, I'm just too indifferent these days to really invest in a debate lol

Groo the Wanderer

i cant wait for the pics of the immodestly covered llamas in swimsuits to show up

IcePrincessKRS

[img]http://emmabolden.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/dramallama-pic1.jpg[/img]

Hey Ice, I don't appreciate you posting a picture of me without my consent. especially one from right when I wake up.