An Old School Catholic Message Board

Modesty And Swimwear...

Annie12

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1338215384' post='2436325']
Kujo is not a woman.

That is all.
[/quote]

You probably confused her with your talk about melons.

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1338216246' post='2436329']

You probably confused her with your talk about melons.
[/quote]

Probably. But guys can have melons too.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='kujo' timestamp='1338216613' post='2436331']
Probably. But guys can have melons too.
[/quote]

True.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1338190169' post='2436273']
Oh, honey, we're bickering like a married couple. We're officially engaged to be engaged now!
[/quote]
When's the wedding? I do assume I will be the favorite bridesmaid of all the bridesmaids there are to be, correct 171? My heart waits with anticipation of this joyful union between man and wife. "Do you Future Priest, promise to love and to cherish the171 for better or for worse, for rich or for richer, in sickness and in health, all the days of your life?"

Basilisa Marie

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1338219785' post='2436357']
SO, I will refrase my question. At what point does a swimsuit become immodest?
[/quote]

When, while wearing it, you think more about how attractive you are than how much fun swimming is.

cmotherofpirl

[/quote]
When you stand up and feel you have to tug some part of it back into place, there is a problem...

Spent some time thinking & praying bout this one last night.... as I walked to the swimming pool. ;) (We are blessed to have one near our home.) And I thought about what I was wearing, and why I was wearing it. I am not a teen or a young woman, and I'm, uh, larger than I should be. (Most of us are!).

I found myself laughing because what I was wearing to go to the pool was.... a sweat suit. And a heavy fleece vest.

Why? Because it was COLD last night, and I had a distance to travel to GET to the swimming pool But I did not wear that INTO the pool. ;) [i](Got ya, didn't I!) [/i]

When I arrived at the pool, there were some guys already hanging out around the pool, and I defy most women to not go, oh, shucks.... I have to take my clothes off now. (Not because there was anything immodest nor odd about them... but because we are ALL so over-aware of our bodies in general..... and we all think we are too fat, too thin, etc.

But I said hello to the guys and then got ready to go into the pool. I have a one piece (but have had two pieces before), but my criteria for swimwear at this point is simple. Do I look 'ok enough' in this to be willing to walk around in this get-up? I tend to look for the suits marked for 'water aerobics' -- because they are designed to remain in place when one moves.

C-mom just beat me to the punchline a second ago -- can I move in this thing without having to think about it? If so, it's probably a good choice!

Just for fun, here's a link to some 'swimwear through the lasat century' - lots of interesting looks! Some I'd wear without a hesitation... some I would reject because they are truly UGLY! and some because I would be terrified to move in them!

[url="http://fuzzylizzie.com/swimsuits.html"]http://fuzzylizzie.com/swimsuits.html[/url]

[font=Batang][size=4](Thank you to 'The Vintage Traveler and Fuzzylizzie.com' - that website owner asks we remember that all are copyright of S. Elizabeth Adams Bramlett.)[/size][/font]

Edited by AnneLine

[/quote]

I know you are young, but I think a few things:

1) get your parents' opinion. As a father, I will definitely let my girls know if their swimsuit is not appropriate. If they ask me, I would know THEY take their modesty seriously and I would try to help the best I could...and I would not (nor would many fathers, i think) err on the side of immodesty.

2) I think the fact that you are even asking this question reveals you have an awareness that too few young people have. I urge you to maybe trust yourself a little bit more. I think the fact you *want* to be modest is a great starting point, and (at least to me) gives the impression that you would pick a suit that is perfectly modest and practical at the same time.

3) You could swim in a burka and it is possible that someone, somewhere would find that immodest or might get all "lookey/creepy". This makes your ultimate question unanswerable in finite terms. If you respect yourself, and dress and present yourself as such; whatever immodesty after that which others may have issues with is on them. Though one must not cause an occasion of sin for others; at some point you are not responsible for the thoughts and weaknesses of others in every degree and minutiae. There is a point where me, as a man, have to say to myself, 'stop checking out the hind parts of that lady who just passed by', regardless of what she is (or is not) wearing.

hope that helps...

[/quote]

It's a good question... are you sure you are ready for the answer?

I myself have experienced a conversion on the meaning of modesty over the past several months - year... scales have fallen off my eyes... we in our culture have too many double standards when it comes to modesty. We think that somehow we can turn off our eyes and minds like a light switch when we are at the beach or playing sports. The same standards of modesty should be applied in every situation that we live. How covered do you think you ought to be when you go to the store or to school or to church? (And even then, one's standards might not even be truly modest...) But let's begin there by saying that you should be just as covered up at the pool or the beach.

I have come to understand that anything that reveals your body's form/ precise outline, whether or not it is "covered" by a layer of fabric, is immodest. One should not be able to discern every bump and curve and crevice of your body. (this applies the same to both men and women) For women, we can and should look feminine (i.e. it's okay to see that we have a waist that is narrower than our hips and bust and that we [i]have [/i]hips and busts, but no one should be able to see the outline of your rear end, lines of cleavage, muscle definition (or lack thereof!), etc. (let alone panty lines, bra straps, midriffs and more!)

This is a super condensed argument for modesty.... it is worth learning more and really asking the Holy Spirit to help open your heart and your mind.... but one fact that I found very compelling was to learn that men, when they see someone wearing skin tight, form revealing clothing will essentially picture that body naked in their minds... if it's black pantaloons, for example, then it's just like they see your skin, but painted black (or denim or whatever.) This is not meant to accuse men of any wrongdoing, I heard the testimonial from many males themselves, and as I understand, this is just simply the way their brains are wired. Also, if they see lines of cleavage, they will fill in the rest of the image in their mind. Do you want to be the object of such mental images? Even if they were not lustful? even if they were only anatomical? ...And as for women, speaking for myself, but I know that I in my mind can be very critical, judgemental, jealous, etc. So I do not want to lead other women to sin in this way either. I find that dressing in a *truly* modest way does a great deal in battling the sin of vanity (being concerned with what other people think of you).

I highly recommend watching this video: [url="http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChurchMilitant"]http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChurchMilitant[/url] "The Naked Truth about Modesty." It was very eye opening for me. I wished that someone had told me those things earlier in my life. There are also books on the subject such as "Dressing with Dignity" which includes many good resources and documents to show what the Church does teach about this subject.

I myself am currently pondering and searching for what I will be wearing beachside and poolside during our vacations this summer. Basically, I know what I need to get, it's basically a matter of shelling out the money or trying to sew something myself.

HTH.

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1338225936' post='2436421']
Modesty means covering up your dirty pillows!
[/quote]

that reminds me, i need to change the bedsheets.