An Old School Catholic Message Board

Papist's razzle dazzle Stuff

Papist

homeschoolmom

All while you bake me a cake with your easy-bake-oven.

Which brings to mind a question I've wondered for some time: If we are all supposed to switch over to those silly curly-cue lightbulbs that don't give off heat, what's to become of the easy-bake-oven???

Which brings to mind a question I've wondered for some time: If we are all supposed to switch over to those silly curly-cue lightbulbs that don't give off heat, what's to become of the easy-bake-oven???

Ah cake mixed with mercury sounds tasty. I have a closet full regular bulbs.

brianthephysicist

Ah cake mixed with mercury sounds tasty. I have a closet full regular bulbs.

I've never played with an easy bake oven before, but I assumed they used a heating element (basically a glorified resistor to dissipate heat) like in a toaster oven.  Where does the lightbulb come into this equation?

I've never played with an easy bake oven before, but I assumed they used a heating element (basically a glorified resistor to dissipate heat) like in a toaster oven.  Where does the lightbulb come into this equation?

The cake is so little that all it takes is a light bulb to bake the cake.  My sister spent many hours baking me goodies.

easy-bake-oven.jpg

brianthephysicist

The cake is so little that all it takes is a light bulb to bake the cake.  My sister spent many hours baking me goodies.

easy-bake-oven.jpg

Oh okay. I didn't realize that.  I think you'll have to stay with the old style lightbulbs in order to give off enough heat for that.  

But in terms of mercury, you may not be putting off mercury directly into your cakes, but the old style lightbulbs end up putting more mercury into the atmo if you consider the mercury released in coal power plants (where we get 45% of our electricity).  Wikipedia put up a graph of this:

425px-Mercury_emissions_by_light_source_

(also for reference, CFL's are typically rated for around 10K hours and incandescents are typically rated for around 1K hours)

Let them eat cake.

rotfl

Oh okay. I didn't realize that.  I think you'll have to stay with the old style lightbulbs in order to give off enough heat for that.  

But in terms of mercury, you may not be putting off mercury directly into your cakes, but the old style lightbulbs end up putting more mercury into the atmo if you consider the mercury released in coal power plants (where we get 45% of our electricity).  Wikipedia put up a graph of this:

(also for reference, CFL's are typically rated for around 10K hours and incandescents are typically rated for around 1K hours)

rotfl

Mercury comment was not scientifically serious.