An Old School Catholic Message Board

Papist's razzle dazzle Stuff

Papist

This is a praying mantis. It is as a baby, or nymph, the Asian Ant Mantis (Odontomantis planiceps) resembles a little black ant perfectly. It mimics an ant b/c ants are extremely aggressive, so many animals don’t mess with them.  Also, a lot of them have an acidic taste and venomous sting… and they travel in numbers.  If there’s one ant around, there’s probably 100′s of others ready to defend it.  For this reason, there’s MANY insects that mimic ants. 

Capture.JPG

2327569798_5f8cc606f4_o1.jpg

The nymphs of the Asian Ant Mantis are only a couple of centimeters in length

Capture3.JPG

homeschoolmom

Praying mantises are funny. My neighbor gets a couple of egg sacks each spring. Last summer we had our landscaping pulled out, and they kept finding mantises in our yard. My friend just went over and got them and brought them back to her yard.

But those are pretty creepy-looking.

As I was being check out at the doctor's office, the receptionist could not believe my age. She thought she had it wrong in her system. She goes, "we have you listed at 48. Is that right?"  She thought I was around 35, and thought she typed in the wrong year. How razzle dazzle is that!!?!!  But, it did take here almost 3 years to ask me.

homeschoolmom

As I was being check out at the doctor's office, the receptionist could not believe my age. She thought she had it wrong in her system. She goes, "we have you listed at 48. Is that right?"  She thought I was around 35, and thought she typed in the wrong year. How razzle dazzle is that!!?!!  But, it did take here almost 3 years to ask me.

That is the coolest thing of the whole thread!!!

ESA's XMM-Newton and NASA's NuSTAR have detected a supermassive black hole spinning at almost the speed of light in the heart of spiral galaxy NGC 1365. The rate at which a black hole spins encodes the history of its formation. An extremely rapid rotation could result from either a steady and uniform flow of matter spiraling in via an accretion disc (as shown in this artist impression) or as a result of the merger of two galaxies and their smaller black holes.

Depicted in this image is an outflowing jet of energetic particles, believed to be powered by the black hole's spin. The regions near black holes contain compact sources of high energy X-ray radiation thought, in some scenarios, to originate from the base of these jets. The nature of the X-ray emission enables astronomers to see how fast matter is swirling in the inner region of the disc, and ultimately to measure the black hole's spin rate.

Artist%27s+Concept+of+a+Supermassive+Bla

TheresaThoma

In other terms that is either an "older" quasar or blazar. Very cool and odd objects. I am doing a tiny bit of research into the microvariability of the jets but in the optical range. Cool picture I might have to borrow it for a presentation.