An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sspx Members Welcome?

Studiumecclesiae

And c'mon, give me some credit. At least I made the Phishy tag the same color as the Militant tag. It just has a question mark.

[quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1345144937' post='2468724']
please don't speak of that...it is traumatizing
[/quote]

There there...I have to grade 90+ essays this semester. I understand.

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1345147643' post='2468762']
And c'mon, give me some credit. At least I made the Phishy tag the same color as the Militant tag. It just has a question mark.
[/quote]

If memory serves it didn't used to be and that really was an act of charity by you.

Oh, and I don't get why Phishy members would want private message ability anyway. The reason you are Phishy in the first place is because you are airing your grievances with the church publicly, and not privately. So, there is really no reason to have private messages--as it's not in your nature to take up issues in private.

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1345149113' post='2468772']
Oh, and I don't get why Phishy members would want private message ability anyway. The reason you are Phishy in the first place is because you are airing your grievances with the church publicly, and not privately. So, there is really no reason to have private messages--as it's not in your nature to take up issues in private.
[/quote]

What is it that Phishy peeps can't do? I know they can't get props and obviously they can't private message. Anything else?

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1345149945' post='2468779']
What is it that Phishy peeps can't do? I know they can't get props and obviously they can't private message. Anything else?
[/quote]

post #35 of this thread: http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/123126-sspx-members-welcome/page__st__20#entry2468667

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1345143467' post='2468703']
So is Nancy Pelosi.
[/quote]

Nancy is a heretic. The official teachings of the SSPX are not heretical as they don't disagree with [b]doctrinal [/b]or [b]dogmatic [/b]Church teaching. They are disobedient, but not heretical. Also, if you consider constantly voting for pro-abortion bills assisting in the procuring of an abortion, then Nancy is also excommunicated latae sententiae, whereas the SSPX are not excommunicated.

Also... laity are not technically SSPX because they are not clergy. That'd be like saying I'm a Jesuit because I follow everything the Jesuits do and teach.

I understand the purpose of a phisy tag... and I guess maybe I'm borderline on if I agree with giving it to SSPX (not that what I think matters in this circumstance). The official teachings are not entirely out of line with the Magisterium, but the individual mindsets of many of the preists and followers can be vastly so. Just look at a certain one of their bishops...
I just wish no one had to have the tag b/c they were all good and faithful Catholics in line with Rome :(

Edited by Slappo

franciscanheart

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1345149945' post='2468779']
[/quote]
[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1345150128' post='2468781']
post #35 of this thread: [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/123126-sspx-members-welcome/page__st__20#entry2468667"]http://www.phatmass....20#entry2468667[/url]
[/quote]
So what Red is saying is this: No. Nothing else. That's it.

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1345150128' post='2468781']
post #35 of this thread: [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/123126-sspx-members-welcome/page__st__20#entry2468667"]http://www.phatmass....20#entry2468667[/url]
[/quote]
[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1345150783' post='2468788']
So what Red is saying is this: No. Nothing else. That's it.
[/quote]

Thanks.

franciscanheart

[quote name='Slappo' timestamp='1345150478' post='2468785']
Nancy is a heretic. The official teachings of the SSPX are not heretical as they don't disagree with [b]doctrinal [/b]or [b]dogmatic [/b]Church teaching. They are disobedient, but not heretical. Also, if you consider constantly voting for pro-abortion bills assisting in the procuring of an abortion, then Nancy is also excommunicated latae sententiae, whereas the SSPX are not excommunicated.

Also... laity are not technically SSPX because they are not clergy. That'd be like saying I'm a Jesuit because I follow everything the Jesuits do and teach.

I understand the purpose of a phisy tag... and I guess maybe I'm borderline on if I agree with giving it to SSPX (not that what I think matters in this circumstance). The official teachings are not entirely out of line with the Magisterium, but the individual mindsets of many of the preists and followers can be vastly so. Just look at a certain one of their bishops...
I just wish no one had to have the tag b/c they were all good and faithful Catholics in line with Rome :(
[/quote]
Please see below. Emphasis is mine.

[quote]In 1999, the Pontifical Commission Ecclesia Dei stated that it was likely, but not certain, that the SSPX priests were adhering to the schism, which would mean that they were excommunicated, but that people who, "because of their attraction to the traditional Latin Mass and not because they [b]refuse submission to the Roman Pontiff or reject communion with the members of the Church[/b] subject to him", attended Mass celebrated by those priests, were not excommunicated, although, [b]the longer they frequented SSPX chapels, the greater the likelihood of imbibing a schismatic mentality that would seem to involve adherence to the schism and so excommunication[/b]. It judged that documentation sent to it in 1998 clearly indicated the extent to which "many in authority in the Society of St. Pius X" were in conformity with the formal definition of schism.[/quote]

Further:
[quote]In 1995, it [b]declared it "morally illicit for the faithful to participate in these (the SSPX) Masses unless they are physically or morally impeded from participating in a Mass celebrated by a Catholic priest in good standing", and added that "the fact of not being able to assist at the celebration of the so-called 'Tridentine' Mass is not considered a sufficient motive for attending such Masses."[/b] The Commission recognized the validity of the ordination of the SSPX priests, but added that they were prohibited from exercising their priestly functions because of not being properly incardinated in a diocese or religious institute in full communion with the Holy See. It also said that the Masses they celebrated were valid but illicit, but the lack of proper faculties on the part of the SSPX priests meant that celebrations of Penance and Matrimony under their auspices were invalid. The Pontifical Commission reaffirmed various of these statements in 2003.[/quote]

Six people were most definitely excommunicated and the rest risked it by continued participation. And those who now attend regularly (as a few of our members do) also risk excommunication for reasons stated above.

You can believe whatever you want, but Rome has spoken.

[quote name='Slappo' timestamp='1345150478' post='2468785']

[/quote]

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1345147146' post='2468756']
Are you using this as an opportunity to pontificate your support for SSPX?[b] I do not see how you can understand that the meaning of my post was to convey that a SSPX supporter is an equal dissenter as Pelosi. [/b]

[b]I was addressing the logic[[i]your poor logic[/i]] that if one is a Catholic, as a SSPX supporter and Pelosi both are, then he/she automatically should not get phishy tag.[/b]
[/quote]

Papist, if I were in support of the SSPX, I'd join them. I don't support the SSPX and I'm not pontificating on their behalf. I'm just stating that they aren't as separated from the Catholic Church as pro-aborts pro gay marriage people.

Top level Curia staff have stated (more recently than the documents fran quoted) that the SSPX are not and were never in formal schism. I believe we've had this argument several times before and it isn't worth going into. KofC knows way more about this particular aspect than I do. Also... not really sure what the point of Franny's post is because I never denied anything she quoted? No where did the documents say that the SSPX do not adhere to doctrinal or dogmatic teachings of the Church, or that laity that attend SSPX chapels are considered members of the SSPX... The excommunications on the SSPX bishops were lifted by Benedict XVI.

Like I said in my last post... really I'd just rather no one be phishy because they all supported the Truth... unfortunately that's not the case. I'm glad I'm not the person that has to determine who should be labeled (out of charity for the forum) and who shouldn't.

Edited by Slappo

And just for the record, you do not get a Phishy tag just because you are SSPX. There are probably many in SSPX that are fighting hard to be in full communion with Rome. You get a Phishy tag when you come on phatmass and publicly declare, "I do not accept Vatican II and the new catechism of John Paul II".

KnightofChrist

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1345166919' post='2468897']
And just for the record, you do not get a Phishy tag just because you are SSPX. There are probably many in SSPX that are fighting hard to be in full communion with Rome. You get a Phishy tag when you come on phatmass and publicly declare, "I do not accept Vatican II and the new catechism of John Paul II".
[/quote]

That is charitable and wise.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' timestamp='1345146861' post='2468751']
The comparison should have never been made or defended.
[/quote]
You are the one guilty of the comparison. As I stated before, I was addressing the faulty logic, NOT the catholicity of SSPX sympathizers. I have a hard time believing you don't understand this. So what gives? Perhaps you are being hypersensitive and reading more into my post b/c you are a SSPX sympathizers.

For the record: I believe Pelosi is in much more error than SSPX believers'. Yet, both are in error.