An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nihil's Stream Of Insanity

Nihil Obstat

I read that several years ago upon the recommendation of a priest.  Unfortunately, the Ritalin makes that time of my life but a haze so I can't really remember much.  I shall have to dig it out and take it up again. 

Ritalin does not make one an intellectual.  That is the lesson to be learned here.

What seminary did you go to?

Hey Joe, you okay with the floods up there in Calgary?

What seminary did you go to?

And does he play MC?

Nihil Obstat

I'm fine, thanks. :) My neighbourhood is all right, although if you walked about fifteen minutes you'd be walking down streets that are underwater. Or at least were yesterday. I had water in my basement room again, but we're taking care of it.

I'm not sure how hard it will be to get to church tomorrow. I normally go down several roads that were underwater yesterday. I was actually coming home from church while the evacuations were beginning too, so I probably missed that particular bit of flooding by a couple hours or less.

Most of the downtown core was flooded. Around 100 000 people were evacuated in total. Looks like things are under control now, and it's just a matter of assessing damages, which will be enormous.

Last I heard there were three fatalities reported in the city and surrounding towns. That will probably go up, but hopefully it will not.

Nihil Obstat

A few pictures from the flooding.

Here is the Saddledome, where the Calgary Flames play. That is several rows of seats and the entire ice level that is flooded, and damage is guaranteed in the tens of millions. These pictures are after the waters have already started going down.

Apparently the plan is still to start playing in September.

8565981.jpg

8565980.jpg

One of the inner city neighbourhoods, with downtown in the background.

8562961.jpg

One of the roads I normally take to get to church. I was driving home just a few hours before this area got evacuated.

8562946.jpg

Also somewhere nearby my route to church.

8562951.jpg

Trans-Canada highway.

8562426.jpg

Some people had to be rescued by boat.

8561890.jpg

Big house in one of the worst hit areas.

8561728.jpg

Another one with downtown in the background.

8561738.jpg

Nihil Obstat

I plan on trying mostly residential routes tomorrow. My GPS took me on some weird sneaky route a while ago when my Crowchild to Memorial exit was closed, so as long as those particular communities aren't blocked (and I think they won't be, because it seemed like a hilly area), I should be fine.

What about you? Are you back home for the summer, or still in the city?

truthfinder

I'm home right now.  I'll be travelling in a couple weeks and hopefully good weather will follow me.  

Glad to hear you're safe!! Though those pictures are both awful and amazing at the same time; highlighting what nature can do.

7XNtUJL.jpeg

Nihil Obstat

Drove to church today. Normally it takes me about 20 minutes, today was over an hour. Downtown is still completely closed, which is my main route. My secondary route took me through areas that were clearly flooded yesterday. Debris all over, roads covered in mud, and people trying to pump water out of their basements. I got within two kilometers of the church and had to turn around because the bridges were all still closed. So I ended up having to take my single least favourite road in the entire city, where I took several wrong turns and got stuck in traffic, but I did make it.

The church is fine, which is good. I wasn't expecting any damage because it's on top of a hill, but you never know.

I definitely drove past several houses along the riverbanks that are completely flooded out. Things are still pretty bad, but at least they are slowly getting better.

Glad you got to Mass okay and that the Church was fine, but it sounds like you had quite an, umm, adventure.

Nihil Obstat

It wasn't quite as exciting as I had hoped, to be honest. :|

Unfortunately it looks like at least two more people are confirmed dead. :(