An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nihil's Stream Of Insanity

Nihil Obstat

Not The Philosopher

Indeed.

I really appreciate how the show lets you make your own conclusions. You never find out exactly who or what the crow was. You never find out for sure how Rakka died. You never find out precisely why some people become Haibane, why certain people move on before others, what happens to a person who can't move on. 'Where' the city is, and what is outside. But you're given just enough in the way of clues that you can make some pretty strong guesses based on your understanding of the themes.

Yes. They could have easily gone all M. Night Shyamalan in the last act (hey remember The Village?). Apparently the show was heavily inspired by Haruki Murakami's Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. Haven't read any of his stuff, though. It did remind me a bit of some of George MacDonald's more melancholy fairy tales.

Nihil Obstat

I watched it primarily because of Yoshitoshi ABe, which is proving to be a pretty good yardstick so far. :hehe:

Now that you mention George MacDonald... Yeah, I do see that. Effective use of understatement. And clearly focused on the idea of salvation.

• 2 weeks later...
Nihil Obstat

After a ten to fifteen minute duel with a large wasp, only one emerged victorious. I hate bugs in my room, and I especially hate bugs that can sting in my room.

I was sitting on my bed with the laptop when I began to hear a distinctly insect buzz. Generally it is caused by houseflies, so first I surveyed the scene. Nope, it was a wasp. Big one. Buzzing around my lightbulb. Not the biggest I've seen, but pretty big. I made a tactical retreat in order to gather weapons.

Not many weapons around. Just a few nights ago my window seal started leaking, so most of my furniture and possessions are pushed in a big jumble outside of my room proper. I found a softcover book. Not ideal, but it would work. My plan was to give it a good swing and hopefully smash it into a wall. I did manage to hit it, but I couldn't see where it landed, and I didn't hear the buzz. That was bad.

At that point it was either dead and in a place I couldn't see, or biding its time waiting for the perfect moment to enact its murderous revenge. I swapped the book for a tonfa, in case I needed to administer close range execution.

Turns out that it was the latter situation. Just as I began to let down my guard it emerged from its hiding place and began to threaten my head. I once again made a tactical retreat.

We observed each other for a few minutes, each planning our next move. The wasp made a desperate bid for freedom, but unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately in the long run) it is rather dumb, and didn't understand windows. As it was trapped in the windowsill I saw an opportunity for an improvised strike. I picked up a heavy winter glove and threw it at my adversary. I scored a direct hit and was cautiously optimistic that the battle was over. I was wrong. He began moving again moments later. I threw another glove, but scored only a glancing blow.

Finally understanding the futility of its escape attempt, the wasp migrated back to my light bulb, presumably trying to draw the energy from the light into its stinger for a powered-up attack.

However, luck was now on my side. Out of the corner of my eye I glanced a towel. Much better range than the book, and better leverage for a punishing attack. Downsides were reduced accuracy and no execution capability.

Armed with my towel I again engaged the demon. The battle was quick but furious- the wasp was extremely mad and made several direct charges. The last was foolish and desperate, and I hit it directly with the sweep spot of the towel. Unfortunately once again I was unable to see where it landed and I could not hear it. I was very worried that the towel's momentum had propelled the wasp behind me to a place of strategic advantage, so I made a third quick tactical retreat.

I advanced again, slowly, to the battlefield in order to determine the enemy's status. I picked up my tonfa again for execution. Luck was again on my side, because I saw along the far wall a wasp sized mass on the carpet. I approached cautiously. It appeared to be dead, but to be entirely sure I crushed it with my tonfa.

Thus ended the Battle of the Basement.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

xTrishaxLynnx

Did this really happen?

That happens to me ALL THE TIME! I have battled more wasps in my room than I would venture to guess most people have even seen in their lifetime. For realz. I've been stung more often in my own room than anywhere else, including having been around more red wasp nests than I care to count when I was in Oklahoma and Texas (these things will dive-bomb you if you get too close.)

Except my story would go more like... "I ran, in a semi-crouched position, hands over my head, and shrieking, out of the room. I then grabbed the long-range wasp spray, opened all the windows, sprayed the thing from 10 feet away, and returned to crush it with a book or shoe once it was down."

The long-range spray is just a recent addition to my arsenal, though, and I actually try not to use it indoors if it can be helped. I only decided to buy it after a 2+ hour battle with a couple of wasps in the wee hours of the morning a few months back.

Nihil Obstat

Everything in this story was true and unexaggerated. :hehe:

I may have left out the part where the entire thing happened with me only wearing a bathrobe.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

xTrishaxLynnx

Everything in this story was true and unexaggerated. :hehe:

I may have left out the part where the entire thing happened with me only wearing a bathrobe.

rotfl

PhuturePriest

After a ten to fifteen minute duel with a large wasp, only one emerged victorious. I hate bugs in my room, and I especially hate bugs that can sting in my room.

I was sitting on my bed with the laptop when I began to hear a distinctly insect buzz. Generally it is caused by houseflies, so first I surveyed the scene. Nope, it was a wasp. Big one. Buzzing around my lightbulb. Not the biggest I've seen, but pretty big. I made a tactical retreat in order to gather weapons.

Not many weapons around. Just a few nights ago my window seal started leaking, so most of my furniture and possessions are pushed in a big jumble outside of my room proper. I found a softcover book. Not ideal, but it would work. My plan was to give it a good swing and hopefully smash it into a wall. I did manage to hit it, but I couldn't see where it landed, and I didn't hear the buzz. That was bad.

At that point it was either dead and in a place I couldn't see, or biding its time waiting for the perfect moment to enact its murderous revenge. I swapped the book for a tonfa, in case I needed to administer close range execution.

Turns out that it was the latter situation. Just as I began to let down my guard it emerged from its hiding place and began to threaten my head. I once again made a tactical retreat.

We observed each other for a few minutes, each planning our next move. The wasp made a desperate bid for freedom, but unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately in the long run) it is rather dumb, and didn't understand windows. As it was trapped in the windowsill I saw an opportunity for an improvised strike. I picked up a heavy winter glove and threw it at my adversary. I scored a direct hit and was cautiously optimistic that the battle was over. I was wrong. He began moving again moments later. I threw another glove, but scored only a glancing blow.

Finally understanding the futility of its escape attempt, the wasp migrated back to my light bulb, presumably trying to draw the energy from the light into its stinger for a powered-up attack.

However, luck was now on my side. Out of the corner of my eye I glanced a towel. Much better range than the book, and better leverage for a punishing attack. Downsides were reduced accuracy and no execution capability.

Armed with my towel I again engaged the demon. The battle was quick but furious- the wasp was extremely mad and made several direct charges. The last was foolish and desperate, and I hit it directly with the sweep spot of the towel. Unfortunately once again I was unable to see where it landed and I could not hear it. I was very worried that the towel's momentum had propelled the wasp behind me to a place of strategic advantage, so I made a third quick tactical retreat.

I advanced again, slowly, to the battlefield in order to determine the enemy's status. I picked up my tonfa again for execution. Luck was again on my side, because I saw along the far wall a wasp sized mass on the carpet. I approached cautiously. It appeared to be dead, but to be entirely sure I crushed it with my tonfa.

Thus ended the Battle of the Basement.

This is seriously the funniest thing I have ever read on Phatmass. I admire the bravery you displayed, especially considering you were wearing but a bathrobe. I am also proud that you, too, carry a tonfa around the house. Every black belt should have one hanging around somewhere.

Nihil Obstat

Guys. You won't believe this. It flooping started moving again, just now. Almost five hours later.

I took the cat over to see it, thinking she might find it funny. She bumped it over, and it started crawling around.

This must be how the zombie outbreak begins.

xTrishaxLynnx

Guys. You won't believe this. It flooping started moving again, just now. Almost five hours later.

I took the cat over to see it, thinking she might find it funny. She bumped it over, and it started crawling around.

:shock:

But seriously, I've had some do that as well. Unfortunately, they're pretty tough to kill unless you squash them beyond recognition; and even then, if you were to step on it, it could sting you.

PhuturePriest

You killed it with your tonfa of doom, right?

Nihil Obstat

You killed it with your tonfa of doom, right?

No screwing around this time. I separated its head from its body with my Endura.

PhuturePriest

No screwing around this time. I separated its head from its body with my Endura.

Not an overreaction at all, in my opinion. I absolutely hate wasps.

Nihil Obstat

I would actually have been ok with leaving it for the cat. She was having lots of fun with it. But I didn't want her hiding its corpse in my clean laundry.