An Old School Catholic Message Board

Voting For Anyone Other Than Romney Is Pro-obama

dUSt

missionseeker

[quote name='missionseeker' timestamp='1351805143' post='2502204']

haha. I was hoping an Alabamian would read that.

Also: Seriously???? Roy Moore????? [b]what tha' fa fa fa fa fonze?[/b] WERE THEY THINKING???
[/quote]

Nice one, dust!

In my new role as Person Who Attempts to Ensure That Tempers Don't Flare in Election Threads (PWAETTDFET), I submit this for consideration:

http://youtu.be/VWDc9oyBj5Q

[quote name='LinaSt.Cecilia2772' timestamp='1351805089' post='2502201']
A wise sister told me one time when we were conversing about voting, is that everyone has freedom of conscience. Meaning that everyone has a right to form their conscience in their own way and act on it.

Why can't people just respect that right? To me it's kinda ironic because many people are voting based off violations of conscience, yet they are trying to tell other people who have formed theirs to "help change their minds." It's kinda ridiculous.

I'm 18. I have already voted. I have kept up with politics for a long time due to my parents being very involved in it and their want for me to be exposed to various circumstances. My conscience has been forming for a long time now, and I can tell you that whatever my conscience tells me is between me and God.

I am Catholic. I try to understand as much of Catholic teaching as I can and act on it. But in good conscience, I refuse to vote based off of one issue. Jesus NEVER taught to help just ONE issue, and be blind to the others. Because of this, I honestly don't believe that Romney will do anything good for this country as far as economics go, healthcare, strength of the middle class, education, help for the poor and the many other factors that will make this country thrive. I don't agree with every policy Obama has put into place, and I sure as hell don't want to contribute to the intrinsic evils, but reality and life aren't black and white. There is so much gray in between that needs to be addressed just as much as the pro-life movement does.

I am a Catholic who is a democrat, and a Catholic who voted for Obama

Call me a liberal and say I'm going to hell all you want, but ultimately it's God's judgment upon me and my relationship with God who will be the judge of that. And let's say that I have a relationship with God and it's continuously growing because God's love is unconditional and everlasting no matter how much we sin.

Don't judge me based off a vote, a vote is a tiny part of who I am as a person. It surely doesn't define me or anyone.

I have been wanting to say that for a long time on PM, especially since there have been thread after threads over the same thing about the elections. I don't want to debate over my personal choice and conscience. Please respect that.
[/quote]if you don't want your private life debated, then don't dump your purse on the library table.

As far as forming you conscience solely on your own without seeking guidance, read a catechism. While you're at it, google USCCB and Moral Nonnegotiables voting guide.

A wise sister told me one time when we were conversing about voting, is that everyone has freedom of conscience. Meaning that everyone has a right to form their conscience in their own way and act on it.

Why can't people just respect that right? To me it's kinda ironic because many people are voting based off violations of conscience, yet they are trying to tell other people who have formed theirs to "help change their minds." It's kinda ridiculous.

I'm 18. I have already voted. I have kept up with politics for a long time due to my parents being very involved in it and their want for me to be exposed to various circumstances. My conscience has been forming for a long time now, and I can tell you that whatever my conscience tells me is between me and God.

I am Catholic. I try to understand as much of Catholic teaching as I can and act on it. But in good conscience, I refuse to vote based off of one issue. Jesus NEVER taught to help just ONE issue, and be blind to the others. Because of this, I honestly don't believe that Romney will do anything good for this country as far as economics go, healthcare, strength of the middle class, education, help for the poor and the many other factors that will make this country thrive. I don't agree with every policy Obama has put into place, and I sure as hell don't want to contribute to the intrinsic evils, but reality and life aren't black and white. There is so much gray in between that needs to be addressed just as much as the pro-life movement does.

Call me a liberal and say I'm going to hell all you want, but ultimately it's God's judgment upon me and my relationship with God who will be the judge of that. And let's say that I have a relationship with God and it's continuously growing because God's love is unconditional and everlasting no matter how much we sin.

Don't judge me based off a vote, a vote is a tiny part of who I am as a person. It surely doesn't define me or anyone.

I have been wanting to say that for a long time on PM, especially since there have been thread after threads over the same thing about the elections. I don't want to debate over my personal choice and conscience. Please respect that.
[/quote]

I won't call you a liberal. I'll call you a progressive. A supporter of introducing violence in order to abolish scarcity. There's nothing liberal about the Democratic platform.

You want respect for your choices, then quit supporting a party that would have me thrown in prison, to be raped and abused, because I own scary looking rifles.

eagle_eye222001

... I don't want to debate over my personal choice and conscience. Please respect that.
[/quote]

I will debate what is personally made public.

:|

You think Obama is good for the economy???

Moral issues aside, Obama is worse for the economy than Romney (both are bad though).

If America was a company, and Obama was the CEO, how well do you think the company would be doing under someone who multiplied the spending budget by 2 instead of 0.5, put good money into bad failing areas of the company, and made it a lot harder to do your job via uncountable regulations, and started a healthcare program that not only forces people to violate their conscience, but has sincere questions on how such funding for the program is going to happen?

You may be able to argue that Obama is well intentioned........but good intentions don't mean diddly squat if it crashes your company in the process.

cmotherofpirl

[/quote]
If you don't want to debate then you shouldn't have announced it on the debate board. If Sister meant you can form your own conscience in your own way, she was wrong, and Anomaly is as usual right :)

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1351800243' post='2502142']

I have been extremely harsh because most of my replies have been to Aloysius, Nihil and Winchester. They like it when I'm rough with them.

The unfortunate downside to that is everyone else who is reading may assume that I am addressing them in the same manner. That is certainly not my intent, and I don't have a good solution for how to better communicate with many different people all at the same time with completely different sensitivities and tolerance thresholds. If I am too meek, Winchester will make fun of me and crush me with his colorful fancy talk. If I am too bold, I hurt people unintentionally.

Sorry. I've tried to repeat that I am not condemning anyone's conscience or faith as much as I could.
[/quote]

dUSt a couple of us have pointed out that in our particular states Obama has almost zero chance of winning the electorate. Do you hold this not voting for Romney is a vote for Obama idea for all voters or only those in swing states. I can understand and probably agree in the context of swing states, but not for solidly held states.

Just to clarify I am seeking true dialogue here. If you do hold this position across the board can you help me to see how it applies to a voter like me in KS where Obummer..pops sorry Obama will not win the nomination even if I vote 3rd party. (If he does I will eat my words and a dirty gym sock).

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

[quote name='Anomaly' timestamp='1351814218' post='2502366']
if you don't want your private life debated, then don't dump your purse on the library table.

As far as forming you conscience solely on your own without seeking guidance, read a catechism. While you're at it, google USCCB and Moral Nonnegotiables voting guide.
[/quote]

I never said it was my private life. it was a personal choice.

I have sought a lot of guidance, I haven't formed my conscience on my own. I have read a catechism, I have read all that the USCCB has reported and I know the non-negotiables. I have been keeping up with politics and the election since the very beginning. I have taken my voting right seriously and have taken everything into account.

And with all due respect, please don't tell me what to do when you don't know me, my life, and what I have seen and experienced. I'm not a kid who just went to a poll and voted randomly without being informed.

[quote name='PadrePioOfPietrelcino' timestamp='1351822352' post='2502514']

dUSt a couple of us have pointed out that in our particular states Obama has almost zero chance of winning the electorate. Do you hold this not voting for Romney is a vote for Obama idea for all voters or only those in swing states. I can understand and probably agree in the context of swing states, but not for solidly held states.

Just to clarify I am seeking true dialogue here. If you do hold this position across the board can you help me to see how it applies to a voter like me in KS where Obummer..pops sorry Obama will not win the nomination even if I vote 3rd party. (If he does I will eat my words and a dirty gym sock).
[/quote]
There's a few places that I've already mentioned that third party votes for candidates that have true Catholic stances is probably not a bad idea if you are not in a swing state, and your state has no chance of an upset. In those states (where the candidate has already been decided) a "statement vote" against the two party system seems reasonable to me.

My arguments do mainly apply to people in swing states where their votes have a realistic chance to make a difference.

But, I do not have the benefit of only addressing those people. We do not have a swing-state-only group at phatmass, so to the detriment of everybody, they are forced to hear my ramblings.

[quote name='LinaSt.Cecilia2772' timestamp='1351822644' post='2502518']
I never said it was my private life. it was a personal choice.

I have sought a lot of guidance, I haven't formed my conscience on my own. I have read a catechism, I have read all that the USCCB has reported and I know the non-negotiables. I have been keeping up with politics and the election since the very beginning. I have taken my voting right seriously and have taken everything into account.

And with all due respect, please don't tell me what to do when you don't know me, my life, and what I have seen and experienced. I'm not a kid who just went to a poll and voted randomly without being informed.
[/quote]
You made your position public. In a debate forum. Stop whining.

All those dead kids from Obama drones? They'd like to say 'thanks'. The people being thrown in cages for selling medical marijuana? Every time they're sexually assaulted, they can thank consciences like yours.

[quote name='LinaSt.Cecilia2772' timestamp='1351822644' post='2502518']

[/quote]
I disagree with you, but I do not fault you for your decision--after all, it is the natural progression of all the arguments Aloysius and Winchester have been making.

[quote name='dUSt' timestamp='1351822875' post='2502522']
I disagree with you, but I do not fault you for your decision--after all, it is the natural progression of all the arguments Aloysius and Winchester have been making.
[/quote]
Yeah. Rejection of initiation of aggression means people should vote for a man who believes in initiation of aggression. Rejection of collectivism means voting for a collectivist is a good thing to do.

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

I should have just kept my beaver dam mouth shut and not have said anything. I'm sorry that I caused trouble.

Edited by LinaSt.Cecilia2772

[/quote]

I officially apologize to Freedom for giving it the Dumbest Post of the Day award before the day ended.