An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Cloisterite Family

Gemma

AccountDeleted
I was just talking (yesterday) to a priest who knows these sisters.  He highly recommends them.

They aren't 'sisters' so maybe he means the Carmelite hermits next door to them? Father Romano gave some land to the Carmelite hermits so they could set up a community - and they use the same driveway but are located in a different part of the land.

The Hermits of Bethlehem include men and women - but they live in individual hermitage cabins around the property.

Sister_Laurel
I was just talking (yesterday) to a priest who knows these sisters.  He highly recommends them.

The Sisters of Bethlehem (is it Livingston Manor?) are a different group and a religious congregation. I agree they are wonderful. The aforementioned though group is a small mixed group of individuals professed under canon 603. My sense is that Romano no longer is active and has moved to a nursing home or something similar. (This may have been temporary and changed once again, but it was the case earlier this year.)

best,

Sister Laurel M O'Neal, Er DIo

Stillsong Hermitage

Diocese of Oakland

http://notesfromstillsong.blogspot.com

Edited by SRLAUREL

AccountDeleted
The Sisters of Bethlehem (is it Livingston Manor?) are a different group and a religious congregation. I agree they are wonderful. The aforementioned though group is a small mixed group of individuals professed under canon 603. My sense is that Romano no longer is active and has moved to a nursing home or something similar. (This may have been temporary and changed once again, but it was the case earlier this year.)

best,

Sister Laurel M O'Neal, Er DIo

Stillsong Hermitage

Diocese of Oakland

Thanks for letting me know SRLAUREL. I haven't been in touch with him for a year - time just flies I guess. I was there when he went into hospital the first time and he was inspiring to visit - so accepting of everything - even though it was very serious and he was in a lot of pain. He came back to the laura and seemed to be doing a bit better and last year he said he was feeling pretty good, but things go into remission and often come back. I will write and see if I can get an update on his condition before I enter. He was so very good to me over several years when I was going through a lot. I would always write to him and ask his advice and he never judged me for my choices. I hope others will join me in praying for him. The laura will miss him a lot.

Sister_Laurel
Thanks for letting me know SRLAUREL. I haven't been in touch with him for a year - time just flies I guess. I was there when he went into hospital the first time and he was inspiring to visit - so accepting of everything - even though it was very serious and he was in a lot of pain. He came back to the laura and seemed to be doing a bit better and last year he said he was feeling pretty good, but things go into remission and often come back. I will write and see if I can get an update on his condition before I enter. He was so very good to me over several years when I was going through a lot. I would always write to him and ask his advice and he never judged me for my choices. I hope others will join me in praying for him. The laura will miss him a lot.

As I say, things may have changed since I last heard of Romano's situation, so yes, be sure and get an update. This does raise an issue  of which people should be aware. Hermits vowed under c 603 are solitary hermits first of all, responsible for maintaining themselves; when old age and illness catches up, they do not have the security or support religious in community have. Even so, they remain hermits vowed to live solitary eremitical lives. Those living in lauras will tend to need to leave these because the hermits there are not responsible for their care. As many of us get older this may present a problem for our dioceses --- something the Church has not addressed yet in any formal or consistent way. On the other hand, it is important that people not be able to turn to canon 603 as some sort of sinecure; this would exacerbate the problem of using c 603 as a stopgap to get professed and consecrated, so I can't say that support by one's diocese is a good idea.

Sincerely,

Sister Laurel M O"Neal, Er Dio

Stillsong Hemitage

Diocese of Oakland

AccountDeleted
As I say, things may have changed since I last heard of Romano's situation, so yes, be sure and get an update. This does raise an issue  of which people should be aware. Hermits vowed under c 603 are solitary hermits first of all, responsible for maintaining themselves; when old age and illness catches up, they do not have the security or support religious in community have. Even so, they remain hermits vowed to live solitary eremitical lives. Those living in lauras will tend to need to leave these because the hermits there are not responsible for their care. As many of us get older this may present a problem for our dioceses --- something the Church has not addressed yet in any formal or consistent way. On the other hand, it is important that people not be able to turn to canon 603 as some sort of sinecure; this would exacerbate the problem of using c 603 as a stopgap to get professed and consecrated, so I can't say that support by one's diocese is a good idea.

Sincerely,

Sister Laurel M O"Neal, Er Dio

Stillsong Hemitage

Diocese of Oakland

Actually, Father Romano set up the laura so that the hermits would have medical insurance. I have no idea of the details of how/who paid for what, but I know that he wanted the hermits to be able to stay on at the laura as long as possible. He even had a new building put up with several 'cells' for those who were no longer able to go on living in the bush cabins - it was sort of a retirement home for the hermits. It wasn't completed when I was living there but it could be by now. The diocese was in no way responsible for the aging hermits, but Father Romano did consider the matter and I know he was concerned about it and wanted to make some kind of provisions. But this was over 4 years ago so I don't know what things are like now. This is very different from a solitary hermit, as you point out.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Fr. Romano is still very much in charge of Chester. He was here visiting just a few months ago. He experienced a miraculous healing through our Lady and is now able to walk. Sr. Magdalen takes care of much of the day-to-day things as she has for a long time.

The new section has been finished for quite a long time.

They have several new vocations who seem to be staying and I believe one was just ordained a deacon or is about to. The last time I was there with another of our sisters who was there for retreat was when I got these updates.

Chester is definitely more of a community of hermits and provides for the care of the members much like a religious community does. They have amazing benefactors and some of the hermitages are really lovely! The newer ones are much more spacious. I've never been on retreat there but I have gone to drop off or pick up our prioress several times.

AccountDeleted
Fr. Romano is still very much in charge of Chester. He was here visiting just a few months ago. He experienced a miraculous healing through our Lady and is now able to walk. Sr. Magdalen takes care of much of the day-to-day things as she has for a long time.

The new section has been finished for quite a long time.

They have several new vocations who seem to be staying and I believe one was just ordained a deacon or is about to. The last time I was there with another of our sisters who was there for retreat was when I got these updates.

Chester is definitely more of a community of hermits and provides for the care of the members much like a religious community does. They have amazing benefactors and some of the hermitages are really lovely! The newer ones are much more spacious. I've never been on retreat there but I have gone to drop off or pick up our prioress several times.

Thank you so much for that update Sister! I sent an email to them asking for an update, but I know that Sr Magdalene (and Father Romano) often don't get around to answering emails for quite some time. It is so good to hear that he is doing so well.

The hermitage that I was given while I was there was very comfortable, if plain. It had a sleeping area, a study area and a small 'oratory' for prayer in which the Blessed Sacrament was reserved. There was also a small bathroom with toilet, sink and shower. Before my arrival, they did have an internal phone system for contacting the main house, but it was out of order during my stay. I was discerning the life at the time so I was given a hermitage in the same general area as the other hermits, and not in the guest area, but all of the cabins I saw were pretty nice.

I am glad to hear that one of the hermits will be ordained. There was a man there during my stay who was studying to enter the seminary - perhaps it is him.

And yes, it is similar to a community, but with a lot less contact than a religious community. We didn't pray the Office together except for Vespers on Saturday evening and we only had the one Recreation together each week. It was a nice blend of hermit life and some things in common but after a couple of months,  I found I missed praying the Office in community. I still remember my time there fondly though and am grateful for Father Romano's help.

Sister_Laurel
Actually, Father Romano set up the laura so that the hermits would have medical insurance. I have no idea of the details of how/who paid for what, but I know that he wanted the hermits to be able to stay on at the laura as long as possible. He even had a new building put up with several 'cells' for those who were no longer able to go on living in the bush cabins - it was sort of a retirement home for the hermits. It wasn't completed when I was living there but it could be by now. The diocese was in no way responsible for the aging hermits, but Father Romano did consider the matter and I know he was concerned about it and wanted to make some kind of provisions. But this was over 4 years ago so I don't know what things are like now. This is very different from a solitary hermit, as you point out.

Yes, and there are several other aspects of the laura which make some of us (both diocesan hermits and some canonists) think it crossed the line from laura to actual community (single common Rule instead of separate Rules and guidelines for the group, superior, limitations on ministry, inability to monitor one's own access to media and communication with others, common financial set up, specified spiritual director, etc). However, most diocesan hermits take care of insurance and other needs themselves and are responsible for doing so. Sometimes we hear of a diocese adding a hermit to the diocesan medical insurance, but this is rare and cannot be expected.

Sincerely,

Sister Laurel M O'Neal, Er Dio

Stillsong Hermitage

Diocese of Oakland

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="nunsense" data-cid="2526280" data-time="1356127540"><p>
They aren't 'sisters' so maybe he means the Carmelite hermits next door to them? Father Romano gave some land to the Carmelite hermits so they could set up a community - and they use the same driveway but are located in a different part of the land.<br />
<br />
The Hermits of Bethlehem include men and women - but they live in individual hermitage cabins around the property.</p></blockquote>

wow ... surprised as to how a simple statement brought on this series of responses.

ok to clarify I really meant consecrated women. and no ... I wasnt referring to the carmelite women (he speaks well of them too). besides I'm not called In tgat direction.

AccountDeleted
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="nunsense" data-cid="2526280" data-time="1356127540"><p>
They aren't 'sisters' so maybe he means the Carmelite hermits next door to them? Father Romano gave some land to the Carmelite hermits so they could set up a community - and they use the same driveway but are located in a different part of the land.<br />
<br />
The Hermits of Bethlehem include men and women - but they live in individual hermitage cabins around the property.</p></blockquote>

wow ... surprised as to how a simple statement brought on this series of responses.

ok to clarify I really meant consecrated women. and no ... I wasnt referring to the carmelite women (he speaks well of them too). besides I'm not called In tgat direction.

I don't think I said you were called towards them? I was simply offering some praise to Father Romano for his good work and kindness. As for the 'sisters' comment, I just wondered if there was a confusion since there are sisters living next door to the hermits. And when I was there, the laura actually had more men than women, so I didn't really think of them as 'sisters' so much as hermits. No offence was intended so I hope you didn't take it that way. My response was more for clarification than anything else. I loved being there but I wasn't called to their life either.

As SrLaurel points out, they do sort of cross the boundary between hermits and community, with the one rule. They remind me a little of the hermits on Mt Carmel who came together and asked St Albert to write a rule of life for them (which the Carmelites still use today). Carmelites actually still refer to themselves as 'hermits in community' but technically (and canononically) they are not hermits even if they have some similarities.

Now that SrLaurel has mentioned it, I wonder why Father Romano didn't just create a mixed religious community rather than using canon 603 to consecrate the hermits. They do share the same Plan of Life and have one superior like a religious community. They don't pray the Office in community but they are not solitary hermits all of the time either because they have Vespers once a week and study and Recreation on Sunday. They are allowed to choose another spiritual director if they want although Father Romano was officially the 'desert father'. I met with him from time to time but I also had another SD of my choosing and a Confessor. It is an interesting mix of lifestyles (and vocations) - could suit some people and not others I suppose.

ToJesusMyHeart

We can only drag this on for so long. Let's leave Gemma in peace and stop pestering her. It's not getting anybody anywhere and it's doing more harm than good.

But those who want to discuss the hermits in Chester should be able to do so.... but perhaps in a different thread?

I have deliberately stayed out of this, but as a semi-outsider, it's clear there are two distinct things going on in here, and they really shouldn't be in the same place.

Maybe it makes sense to take the discussion about hermit vocation apart from anything connected with the Cloisterite group in all its forms to a new thread. Perhaps we could even paste the relevant parts of this one into taht thread.

It would make it easier for people to find it in its own thread 'Hermits in Chester' or whatever....

It would also would let this one just die out or not until/unless Gemma choses to return to the earlier discussion.  Not taking sides on the question... just noting that the thread has moved a lot from the original discussion.  Perhaps letting it just go would be the better choice at this point, although I do value what did transpire in that discussion.  Difficult discussions are part of life.  And perhaps the time will come to resume it...all in God's providence.

My 2 cents...