An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anne Line's Kitchen Table - Serving Up Randomness

AnneLine

brianthephysicist

:like:  

Glad to hear you're doing well out there. Still prayin for you guys.  

Soooo I am not sure how this thread ended 3 pages back! How are you? How is Mr. AL doing?

Well, that is a really good question, TJTM!  I got a little overwealmed by a lot of stuff in my world and didn't rememberthe thread until today.  And then found the rest of YOU had remembered it. 

And I feel in my usual leisure suit:   :paperbag:    I really do find it comfortable and modest, truth be told....

So I thought I would give a quick update. I am all moved in to my brothers house on the outskirts of Dayton. It has been a very busy week sending out resumes, getting the house ready for our home inspection this week, keeping up with my nieces, and trying to find a decent parish. Today my brother took me out to teach me how to drive a stick, as that is what I will be driving while I am here. I didn't do to bad. 

Good for you!!!!

My whole family is protestant, and my brother is a very good debater and very much a Calvanist. Anyway, we were driving today he was complaining how protestants get so upset if the lesson they are learning about isn't centered around a scripture passage... that they discount it based off of it not being directly in scripture. So I was quiet for a min, and then said "Well isn't that the natural ramification of Sola Scirptura?" He said something, then got quiet. Then said "I am going to have to think about that. That is a very good question." He has never said that to me before, and heaven knows it wasn't me. I am not super quick in apologetic situations. Please pray that while I am here I represent the faith well. I am a pretty weak person. It is so easy to be super devout when it is apart of my job, but now this is the world. 

Totally get ^^^ TJTM!!!!   Very amesome how the Spirit poured through you with him.   Especially when you say you aren't usually good at that kind of thing.  I've had that kind of 'driving while charismed' experience as well, and it is an odd, odd feeling... that God is taking over the reins, or perhaps in your case, has suddenly converted you from automatic to stick... and put you in high gear!     And 'real world' driving is the hardest kind there is... but if God is doing the driving, I think he knows how to handle you.  ;)

Tomorrow I go get finger printed and interviewed for the adoption process. I really hope we will get them here soon. Like in the next month. It is frustrating that they are in foster care when they could be with us. 

Praying for fast and done right.   They and you all deserve that....

Anyway, thank you again for your prayers. We should Skype again sometime. Although I might have a little one- or two hanging off of me while we chat!

Love to!  We'll have to try for a few weeks from now.... busy couple of weeks ahead of me right now.

:like:

Glad to hear you're doing well out there. Still prayin for you guys.  

As are we all!!!!

Thank you to Missy, Brian, ARFink, TJTM and all of the rest of you who sent anniversary well-wishes!

UPDATE from the AnneLine Family:  We had a WONDERFUL anniversary.   Spent the evening of the day at home and split of bottle of champagne and had a nice meal as a couple.  :)

For the actual 20th day we went and had a nice meal at Pasta Pomodoro, the restaurant we took ARFink to the day he arrived the the Bay Area.   It's been where we've celebrated our anniversary for many years.... so after thinking of some other places, Mr. AL said, 'I'd just as soon we did Pasta Pomodoro... do you mind?'  Not at all.  They have a marvelous 'tasting menu' which we had for the occasion... and just enjoyed having the night together.  FOR ONCE our anniversary occurred on his day off... too often we've had 'anniversary breakfast' and then celebrated on a different day!

And...on the anniversary itself, we went up to see Mr. AL's mom, "C" -- who is now staying at her sister's house.  She's completed her chemo, but has been left with some super-serious side effects that are probably permanent.... and she can't walk, use her hands, nor can she take care of herself.  Which is kind of heart-breaking to my way of looking at it, but Mr. AL and his sisters are glad she is still with them, so I guess it was worth it.....  

Her birthday will be this Thursday, so at least everyone gets to celebrate that this year.  Not sure what the future holds, except we know that they did NOT get the cancer, so it is really a matter of time.   If any of you are inclined to send her a birthday present, she really has never had a relationship with God (cultural Catholic, you know....)  -- so let's pray a large helping of Connecting with God for her 70th, OK?

Edited by AnneLine

To Jesus Through Mary

AL For sure you have my continued prayers for C. :( That is such a hard situation. I pray in her remain time our Lady wins her heart for her Son.

I am glad y'all had a good anniversary!! That is so great. 

yeah we can talk whenever. My life is pretty hectic at the moment. I am trying to get a schedule. I need a schedule. But I don't think that is going to happen for a while. But on the bright side, the foster care/adoptive care services came and gave us our first assessment today and it went very well. My other niece (the one who is being adopted by her foster mom) is very happy and doing well. Her adoption will be final in about 30 days!! They are going to have a huge adoption party for her, which is just so super! I am so thankful everything is moving forward. Before we know it the kids will be here. A house full of crazy goodness.

And to think, a little over a year ago I was in the convent.   

To Jesus Through Mary

AL For sure you have my continued prayers for C. :( That is such a hard situation. I pray in her remain time our Lady wins her heart for her Son.

I am glad y'all had a good anniversary!! That is so great. 

yeah we can talk whenever. My life is pretty hectic at the moment. I am trying to get a schedule. I need a schedule. But I don't think that is going to happen for a while. But on the bright side, the foster care/adoptive care services came and gave us our first assessment today and it went very well. My other niece (the one who is being adopted by her foster mom) is very happy and doing well. Her adoption will be final in about 30 days!! They are going to have a huge adoption party for her, which is just so super! I am so thankful everything is moving forward. Before we know it the kids will be here. A house full of crazy goodness.

And to think, a little over a year ago I was in the convent.   

God uses everything for His glory. I guess He needed you out here for those kids. :love:

To Jesus Through Mary

Dinner cooked... check... vacuumed and cleaned the kitchen floor... check... picked up the house.... check did laundry.... check.... cleaned the dog kennel and played with the dog... check... got the kids bathed and ready for bed... check... patient loving aunt... totally not check. I have been going, going, going... but I have been so unloving to them. I have such little patience with them. "...If you have not love you are a resounding gong..." I am so doing this wrong and I have no idea how to get it right.  :cry: I don't know how you moms do it. I admired you before but I see you in a whole new light now. 

Dinner cooked... check... vacuumed and cleaned the kitchen floor... check... picked up the house.... check did laundry.... check.... cleaned the dog kennel and played with the dog... check... got the kids bathed and ready for bed... check... patient loving aunt... totally not check. I have been going, going, going... but I have been so unloving to them. I have such little patience with them. "...If you have not love you are a resounding gong..." I am so doing this wrong and I have no idea how to get it right.  :cry: I don't know how you moms do it. I admired you before but I see you in a whole new light now. 

:console:

What happened? You wanna talk? I'm around...

Prayers, TJTM... take it one day at a time.   The moms didn't get it perfect day one either.

I'll also be around if you wanna connect... not tonight but off and on over next day or two.   I've got kinda limited internet access thru next Tuesday, but will watch to see if you are trying to connect.  Might be able to do it a bit on Sun at some point.

Breathe.   Take it one step at a time.   Lo Mejor.... not perfection.   Just make the better choice each step along the way.   And remember that God loves them, even if you aren't finding 'em terribly lovable each setp of the day... and the same is true of you.  God loves you.   Whatever is in your future, God wants you to experience this now.  It will be OK, dear friend.....   Hang in there!

Prayers, TJTM... take it one day at a time.   The moms didn't get it perfect day one either.

I'll also be around if you wanna connect... not tonight but off and on over next day or two.   I've got kinda limited internet access thru next Tuesday, but will watch to see if you are trying to connect.  Might be able to do it a bit on Sun at some point.

Breathe.   Take it one step at a time.   Lo Mejor.... not perfection.   Just make the better choice each step along the way.   And remember that God loves them, even if you aren't finding 'em terribly lovable each setp of the day... and the same is true of you.  God loves you.   Whatever is in your future, God wants you to experience this now.  It will be OK, dear friend.....   Hang in there!

To Jesus Through Mary

Thank you so much for your encouragement, both of you. The last few days have been very difficult, and last night I really just hit the wall with trying to get the youngest one to stay in bed. I have lost my cool more in the last few weeks then I have in years. They are good girls, they really are. It makes me think, how in the world am I going to handle it when the other two get here!? This is so much more difficult then I thought. We have beautiful moments, we do. But when I examine the day I just see so many points when I gave such a terrible example of God's mercy, love, and tenderness. I snap at them, I am impatient... And yet some how they are still tender to me. My niece this morning made me a picture... had me smiling (thanks be to God I wasn't scowling in the picture) then it said "You are a great Aunt!"  I knew this would be hard, I still just wasn't ready for this kind of life.  I know I need to be generous. 

Thank you so much for your encouragement, both of you. The last few days have been very difficult, and last night I really just hit the wall with trying to get the youngest one to stay in bed. I have lost my cool more in the last few weeks then I have in years. They are good girls, they really are. It makes me think, how in the world am I going to handle it when the other two get here!? This is so much more difficult then I thought. We have beautiful moments, we do. But when I examine the day I just see so many points when I gave such a terrible example of God's mercy, love, and tenderness. I snap at them, I am impatient... And yet some how they are still tender to me. My niece this morning made me a picture... had me smiling (thanks be to God I wasn't scowling in the picture) then it said "You are a great Aunt!"  I knew this would be hard, I still just wasn't ready for this kind of life.  I know I need to be generous. 

Nobody is ever really ready for it, everyone has to learn as they go along. You will get better each day, and some days will be better or worse than others. :hugs: The children love you, so you can't be doing that badly. In my experience, children don't say things like that unless they really mean it. ;) Let their love seep in and soften you up.

MissScripture

Thank you so much for your encouragement, both of you. The last few days have been very difficult, and last night I really just hit the wall with trying to get the youngest one to stay in bed. I have lost my cool more in the last few weeks then I have in years. They are good girls, they really are. It makes me think, how in the world am I going to handle it when the other two get here!? This is so much more difficult then I thought. We have beautiful moments, we do. But when I examine the day I just see so many points when I gave such a terrible example of God's mercy, love, and tenderness. I snap at them, I am impatient... And yet some how they are still tender to me. My niece this morning made me a picture... had me smiling (thanks be to God I wasn't scowling in the picture) then it said "You are a great Aunt!" I knew this would be hard, I still just wasn't ready for this kind of life. I know I need to be generous.

Don't be too hard on yourself. You are new at this, and we all lose it, sometimes. Try not to dwell on feeling like a miserable failure. At least, in my experience, if I start thinking about it too much, I get really annoyed with myself and lose my patience even more, because I am in a bad mood. Apologize and move on.
Also, you didn't have 9 months to prepare and start with a little baby. Being thrown into something like this would definitely not be easy for anyone. And you do sound like an amazing aunt. If you weren't you wouldn't be there and you wouldn't care that you aren't being patient.

Prayers that things get easier!

If you don't mind my asking, how old are the kids?

To Jesus Through Mary

Don't be too hard on yourself. You are new at this, and we all lose it, sometimes. Try not to dwell on feeling like a miserable failure. At least, in my experience, if I start thinking about it too much, I get really annoyed with myself and lose my patience even more, because I am in a bad mood. Apologize and move on.
Also, you didn't have 9 months to prepare and start with a little baby. Being thrown into something like this would definitely not be easy for anyone. And you do sound like an amazing aunt. If you weren't you wouldn't be there and you wouldn't care that you aren't being patient.

Prayers that things get easier!

If you don't mind my asking, how old are the kids?

That really makes sense in why not to dwell on the failures. Thank you for the encouragement.

The kids are 8, 6, and 4... and the two that we are adopting are 2 and 3. Right now it is all girls in the house and the older of the two of my sisters kids is a girl. So it is princess and sparkle land everywhere. It is awesome. They are homeschooled, so it adds an extra dimension.  

Good heavens, TJTM - no wonder you are feeling overwealmed.   Maybe ask our Lady to 'team mother' with you -- she has some experience with suddenly being asked to do something by and for God when that was the last thing on her radar.   I think her wisdom might become a good recollection device for you:  "Do whatever He tells you."

Gonna be off internet much of today and tomorrow... but maybe we can find that time to talk later in the week.... and praying hard for you!!!

To Jesus Through Mary

:)Thanks AL (and everyone) so much for your encouragement and prayers. I am doing better. 

Something really positive happened yesterday. I got to speak with my former housemate and we prayed and laughed together. It made a world of difference to me. Today I am sick so I am laid up. So we are having a bum, let's-watch-movies-all-day Memorial Day. Thankfully my sis-in-law and brother are home so I am isolating myself to the room. I missed Mass this morning. It is the first time in a very long time. But there is always tomorrow. In the mean time Ia m laid up with time to read and whatnot.