An Old School Catholic Message Board

Doctor Who!

Basilisa Marie

You is a cray, that short was really good. I thought it was rather dark, than goofy. But anyway the 8th has quite a few audio adventures, have you heard any of them?

It was a good short! My only complaint was that they gave my 8th some goofy matt smith lines which are not on par with his character.

It was a good short! My only complaint was that they gave my 8th some goofy matt smith lines which are not on par with his character.

ah come on, that wasn't Matt Smith, that was totally eight's character from big finish.  Smith would've been all like "OOOO smokey chalices... chalices are cool!" or something, lol.  (I say this as a big fan of eleven)

if you don't want to pay and listen to whole stories quite yet, here's a collection of quotes from Eight to give you a sense of him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi6UPbBhrHs 

go to like 9:08 to hear him mocking a dalek... it's the same style of strange witty humor he was spitting out at the sisters of carn I thought.

... the movie alone isn't sufficient to get to know him ;) I think the lines in the Night of the Doctor were not at all Smith-style goofy lines, they were entirely in Eight's character.

I see what youre getting at but it doesnt seem to be the same degree of silliness. And of course Im only going off the movie and Im assuming these lines are from his audio adventures?

Ill have to listen to those sometime! I do like the 8th :)

I presume you're talking about when he talks about wanting to play chess or knitting when he's revived?  that's the only seemingly "silly" thing... when he says about the front crashing first that's really a standard number 8 joke... there's one time where he says something like "no, we shouldn't take evasive action, that's exactly what they'll be expecting us to take"... same type of thing right there lol, that kind of absurdly logical statement in the middle of a crisis... but I also think the anyone for knitting moment was also classic number 8 style, not number 11 style.

I presume you're talking about when he talks about wanting to play chess or knitting when he's revived?  that's the only seemingly "silly" thing... when he says about the front crashing first that's really a standard number 8 joke... there's one time where he says something like "no, we shouldn't take evasive action, that's exactly what they'll be expecting us to take"... same type of thing right there lol, that kind of absurdly logical statement in the middle of a crisis... but I also think the anyone for knitting moment was also classic number 8 style, not number 11 style.

Yeah, it was mainly the knitting thing he said that didnt sit well with me. And considering I havent listened to any of the audio adventures means you likely have a point but I refuse to acknowledge it as it would not serve to my inflated sense of pride!

I will proceed to cross my arms, furrow my brow, and pout.

lol... well I felt I had to argue it because I thought the entire minisode was pure gold, above rebuke, pretty definitively one of the best moments in all of doctor who in all of space and time, from its beginning to its end.  from "I'm a doctor, but probably not the one you expected" to "Physician heal thyself", I considered it to be completely perfect and will fight anyone who says it was not.   :fight:

anyway give those audios a listen, they are quite good.

You might be able to convince me to retract my statements from earlier but dont even try to take away my disdain for Clara. 

KnightofChrist

Yeah, it was mainly the knitting thing he said that didnt sit well with me. And considering I havent listened to any of the audio adventures means you likely have a point but I refuse to acknowledge it as it would not serve to my inflated sense of pride!

I will proceed to cross my arms, furrow my brow, and pout.

Gosh I feel we are all incredibly nerdy having this 'debate', but who cares!... the knitting thing, heck a lot of the minisode made references to the 4th Doctor, and the 8th Doctor's prior visits to Karn, and the SIsterhood. The knitting quote probably was a reference to the 4th Doctors scarf, and if I remember correctly in the "The Brain of Morbius" the 4th also made similar jokes about being bored when he was tied up. So it was more of a nod to the 4th Doctor than it being a 11th reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY7idi78amE

Edited by KnightofChrist

Gosh I feel we are all incredibly nerdy having this 'debate', but who cares!... the knitting thing, heck a lot of the minisode made references to the 4th Doctor, and the 8th Doctor's prior visits to Karn, and the SIsterhood. The knitting quote probably was a reference to the 4th Doctors scarf, and if I remember correctly in the "The Brain of Morbius" the 4th also made similar jokes about being bored when he was tied up. So it was more of a nod to the 4th Doctor than it being a 11th reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY7idi78amE

OOOOOOOoooooo very interesting observation! Now I really have to listen to the audios! Add that to my ever growing list of literature and whatnot. Sigh.

KnightofChrist

David Tennant also has a couple of audio books by Big Finish Audio, (here's a list of the names of episodes) where he plays the Doctor, and others prior to the reboot were he plays other characters.

I really hope you will be able to get some of them, the audios are quite good, one's imagination can go a lot further than the special effects on the TV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvGoQlZHv5A

Other audio book samples...

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkou_jrF0nXiUtaesC9mbUVVuh-2I0lmC