An Old School Catholic Message Board

Doctor Who!

Basilisa Marie

I won't argue, I'll just tell you: it's Donna.

Agreed. 

IMHO the Companions of the newer Doctors (Eccelston - smith):

Donna

Amy/Rory (They would be top but you need them together and just Rory is not as good as Just amy). 

Rose

Sparrow

Martha

River

Basilisa Marie

The problem with Clara is that they literally did not map out here character, at all.  Moffat just had his writers go with whatever generic companion they felt like, which is why she just feels like a generic perfect companion and not retaining any kind of real personality.  Hopefully they'll fix this with the next series, because they're going to make Capaldi a "stranger" Doctor (more like 9 and less like 10 and 11), so Clara's character will be important to ground the audience.  I love her because I feel like she's got a TON of potential, but they aren't using any of it because Moffat wasn't doing that great of a job of being showrunner. It's not that he's a bad writer - I LOVED the 50th anniversary special. I think he's learned a lot about procrastinating in the last couple years, with trying to write Who and Sherlock at the same time, so I really really really hope that he'll dial it back and go for some tight storytelling. 

Who else is excited for Capaldi?

The problem with Clara is that they literally did not map out here character, at all.  Moffat just had his writers go with whatever generic companion they felt like, which is why she just feels like a generic perfect companion and not retaining any kind of real personality.  Hopefully they'll fix this with the next series, because they're going to make Capaldi a "stranger" Doctor (more like 9 and less like 10 and 11), so Clara's character will be important to ground the audience.  I love her because I feel like she's got a TON of potential, but they aren't using any of it because Moffat wasn't doing that great of a job of being showrunner. It's not that he's a bad writer - I LOVED the 50th anniversary special. I think he's learned a lot about procrastinating in the last couple years, with trying to write Who and Sherlock at the same time, so I really really really hope that he'll dial it back and go for some tight storytelling. 

Who else is excited for Capaldi?

YES! I wish Nine had more than one season...So to return to a less ecstatic yet still energized side of the doctor.

No!

THis guy

Wilf_salutes.jpg

I would definitely like to see a story arc where Wilfred Mott turns out to be the Doctor's father. 

And also more on "The Woman" from "The End of Time". 

The link is to a video that summarizes River's entire journey. That plot is by far my favorite in the Doctor Who series so far. I loved it!

That final scene where River dies in the library with Tennant is still a tear jerker for me. :cry:  

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xx5ef9_doctor-who-timeline-of-river-song_shortfilms?start=1

KnightofChrist

I would definitely like to see a story arc where Wilfred Mott turns out to be the Doctor's father.

And also more on "The Woman" from "The End of Time".

It was implied, and it was also implied that the Woman was his mom ("are you my mommy? Lol)

I also thought that they were building it up that Rory was the Master. But oh well maybe it's better left to mystery.

KnightofChrist

The link is to a video that summarizes River's entire journey. That plot is by far my favorite in the Doctor Who series so far. I loved it!

That final scene where River dies in the library with Tennant is still a tear jerker for me. :cry:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xx5ef9_doctor-who-timeline-of-river-song_shortfilms?start=1

One of my favorite episodes!

KnightofChrist

I have that feeling as well but Moffat already ruined my beloved 8th doctor. He is probably one of the most serious and possibly dark doctors so far but in the mini episode featuring him....moffat gave him Smith-esk lines...ei very goofy. I was pretty upset in that it wasnt in his character to say goofy stuff like that...but of course Moffat knows what brings in the money and if people want the silliness he will likely deliver.

Capaldis frist regeneration lines are also quite silly so my hopes are slowly diminishing. But I hope youre right...he doesnt have to be stone cold serious, I just want to see something different.

You is a cray, that short was really good. I thought it was rather dark, than goofy. But anyway the 8th has quite a few audio adventures, have you heard any of them?

River was in so many of the Episodes I enjoyed though she drove me batty. River always came across as too good knowing all and being the best at everything. When ever she was around there seemed to be an air of arrogance with her.

I think I would have liked her more if she wasn't so googly eyed for the Doctor. If there was an actual character arch that was independent of her Origin Story. 

River was in so many of the Episodes I enjoyed though she drove me batty. River always came across as too good knowing all and being the best at everything. When ever she was around there seemed to be an air of arrogance with her.

I think I would have liked her more if she wasn't so googly eyed for the Doctor. If there was an actual character arch that was independent of her Origin Story. 

That was just her character. She was raised parentless as a tool for murder. I think its fair to say that she didnt have the same upbringing as normal children hahaha which I think explains why she was so "best at everything". She also loved the doctor...she married the doctor...she knew his name! :love:

Her relationship to him was also incredibly fragmented that at some point you have to learn to cope with the fact that the person you love is slowly forgetting about you (or losing experiences, however you want to put it.)

And as far as her knowing all goes, she kinda did know a lot of stuff. She knew the Doctors future! She knew the weight that a lot of their meetings had and what it would mean to him in the future. But she had to keep he mouth shut so as to not destroy what they had.

But some people just dont like her and thats ok. Its good if you like it.

That was just her character. She was raised parentless as a tool for murder. I think its fair to say that she didnt have the same upbringing as normal children hahaha which I think explains why she was so "best at everything". She also loved the doctor...she married the doctor...she knew his name! :love:

Her relationship to him was also incredibly fragmented that at some point you have to learn to cope with the fact that the person you love is slowly forgetting about you (or losing experiences, however you want to put it.)

And as far as her knowing all goes, she kinda did know a lot of stuff. She knew the Doctors future! She knew the weight that a lot of their meetings had and what it would mean to him in the future. But she had to keep he mouth shut so as to not destroy what they had.

But some people just dont like her and thats ok. Its good if you like it.

Yea I figured all of that. I just felt she was a bit too mary sue. If she was a bit more imperfection.

And when it comes to her knowing his name is what initially turned me off. I don't know why...

Oh well nothing is perfect and I love the doctor no matter who he chills with.