An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Workout Thread

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

I can almost run 2 miles..... lol

Great job.  I remember when I could barely make it to the next closest school bus stop.  Just keep trying and it can only get better.  I admit sometimes,  some of the time of the 4 miles is spent walking.  In fact I think I have walked in almost every run this year.  

• 2 weeks later...

Softball game Monday 3for 3 with 2 runs and 2 doubles.  would of had 2 triples and a double but the baserunner ahead of me in the lineup admittedly couldn't run at all Monday.  Did well on D.  Today did stellar on D, back in the leadoff spot.  4 for 4 with 3 runs 3 RBIs and a Triple that shoulda been a round tripper but the bade coaching was abominable.  C'mon guys!!!  Game Thursday.  Tough acts to follow.  ^__^ 

3 for 4 today with a 2 bagger and a run.  Made an out in my nly chance as well.  We won!

2 for 3 with a sac fly, a 3 run blast, and a triple that drove in a run.  With my wheels a deep RF shot is usually all four bags!  The right field fence is essentially unreachable there's a playground in front of it, if your superman (or you have illegal but expensive equipment) you could hit it out in Left.  But Hooooooooooooooome Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuun!!!!!!!!  We won 29-15 against some disgruntled U-Us

1 for 3 with a double last night in softball.  :|  

Hurray for the double!!!

I've done about 20 squats, 10 push ups, and 80 bicep curls (weights are 3 pounds) in my office today.  (Also must confess a friend talked me into joining https://www.fitocracy.com which I've actually used, unlike SparkPeople.)

Interesting! What is that site all about? Is it similar to the Wii Fit thing? Where they turn fitness into a game?

Basically it's like Facebook for fitness, but also with "leveling up" and badges rewarding you for doing so much of certain exercises and stuff.  Really nice and accepting commnity too :)

Thats awesome!

I really enjoy my running app for a similar reason! When I complete certain levels I win badges so it makes me feel all warm inside.

Also since I have been the fat girl running, I feel like people are much nicer to me. Other runners are giving me thumbs up and waves, its nice! Its like theyre saying "Good job getting off youre bum!" 

I very much enjoy running! Im excited to run my first 5k in a month or so!!!

Woot, that's awesome!  Good luck on the 5k!

As the fat guy walking/running, I stick mostly to the cemetery and sometimes a weekday on the local trail.  I hate to be seen and not always gotten the best of responses, such as the time I got snidely informed the trail is "for in shape people, not fatties".

Woahh Seriously? THATS HORRIBLE! We all have to start somewhere!  :bomb:

I do understand though...when I was inactive and only began the first steps into getting more active...I was fearful of the same thing. I didnt want people to look at me and judge me :(

However now that I have been doing it for a while, it doesnt bother me much. People have been much more positive than I could have expected especially coming from complete strangers.

However I did start my running on side streets which were farther away from the busy streets with cars and people.

Having an exercise buddy helps too! My friend and I try to run a couple times a week together at a lake and it has been a lot of fun! I never would have thought that Id be able to run as far as I have! But it was a very slow and gradual increase...baby step by baby step! Im still EXTREMELY slow for even slow standards, but I dont care. Im going at my own pace and Im doing what works for me!

Yeah.  It's why I try to do the trail on days I'm not in class during the week (during academic year at least)...and never on weekends period.  Plus early in the morning when it's not as hot and jerks tend to sleep in.  

Glad you overcame the self image fears and hoping to be able to do the same.  Good idea with being away from the busy streets with cars and such probably...only guessing, but bet it's a ton easier to not worry as much about having to cross the street and stuff.  The apartment complex I'm in as outside the city limits and is not conducive to running there lol; the road is surprisingly busy and has no sidewalks, only ditches on either side.  Actually, it's a joke in this town that they hate college students and the only thing they hate more is pedestrians! :P  In all seriousness though, there are entire mile long stretches at points where there's not a single sidewalk and the road shoulder is barely wide enough for a person.

The exercise buddy thing is part of why i think fitocracy is working okay thus far.  That support network (in addition to shinies and levels); don't have anyone around here to be fitness buddies with though.  Glad that it's gone well for you and your friend though and that you ended up going further than you thought you would!!  And oh well, slow is still going, especially as you increase.  My dissertation chair was talking about running marathons the other day, having done her second last week, "If you're even out there it's a victory.  If you finish that's even better.  It doesn't matter if your name makes it into the paper for having a decent time or not."

Yeah.  It's why I try to do the trail on days I'm not in class during the week (during academic year at least)...and never on weekends period.  Plus early in the morning when it's not as hot and jerks tend to sleep in.  

Glad you overcame the self image fears and hoping to be able to do the same.  Good idea with being away from the busy streets with cars and such probably...only guessing, but bet it's a ton easier to not worry as much about having to cross the street and stuff.  The apartment complex I'm in as outside the city limits and is not conducive to running there lol; the road is surprisingly busy and has no sidewalks, only ditches on either side.  Actually, it's a joke in this town that they hate college students and the only thing they hate more is pedestrians! :P  In all seriousness though, there are entire mile long stretches at points where there's not a single sidewalk and the road shoulder is barely wide enough for a person.

The exercise buddy thing is part of why i think fitocracy is working okay thus far.  That support network (in addition to shinies and levels); don't have anyone around here to be fitness buddies with though.  Glad that it's gone well for you and your friend though and that you ended up going further than you thought you would!!  And oh well, slow is still going, especially as you increase.  My dissertation chair was talking about running marathons the other day, having done her second last week, "If you're even out there it's a victory.  If you finish that's even better.  It doesn't matter if your name makes it into the paper for having a decent time or not."

I would be your running buddy if you lived in Minnesota! You could run with me and my friend! We are both slow and we breath so hard we cant even talk to eachother while we run haha!

I think that once you continue to feel strong and more successful with your workout, that will be motivation and inspiration alone that will get you over your fear.

Once you realize "Hey, Im awesome! Look at me go!" and stop comparing yourself to others (which took me a while) youll feel MUCH more comfortable.

I was always SUPER easily discouraged when I would first start and I couldnt even run 2 minutes at a time without dying and then I see all these thin speedy folkes zoom past me. But once you get out of that mindset and realize that even with just going for 2 minutes at a time...that is kick booty!!!!!!!!!!!!! You dont have to compete against anyone but yourself!
Once I adopted that mentality I was so much happier and more successful! 

Sometimes I might get a little discouraged after a bad week but I just have to remind myself "This is still important to me" and keep on trying!