An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Workout Thread

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

Haha, should I ever move to MN I may take you and your friend upon on that offer!  I do know the "not being able to speak" sort of feeling though.  Also ditto on not being able to actually run for even two minutes; walk 10 miles round trip, fine?  Run...oh no!!

You're right about overcoming the mental block more than anything and feeling better once that happens.  :)  Just a matter of getting there.  (Would prop if I could!)

Today's office fun besides dissertating:

1) 5 pushups

2) 10 situps

3) 5 squats

4) 160 3lb bicep curls

5) 80 8lb bicep curls

southern california guy

Yesterday i decided to rest and I didn't do any exercises or ride the exercise bike.

Today I have done calf raises for 20 reps -- with my weak right leg.

Pullups 1 x 20, 1 x 22, 1 x 22 (I am going to do five sets)

And I am going to ride the exercise bike for 30 minutes today.  This exercise is the hardest for me.  It seems like most people are either geared towards heavily lifting, or high volume lighter aerobic exercise.  I'm the heavy lifter type.  I don't know why I am able to do so many pullups other than the fact that I have been doing them religiously every other day for the last 2 months and I suddenly became able to do many in a row.

southern california guy

What sort of grip do you use?

I just use a medium width overhand grip.  I'll take a picture.

southern california guy

Here I even made a little video.  You can critique my form.  I don't stretch really low when I do pullups, so they probably wouldn't be considered "official" pullups by some of the people on Youtube.  And my camera aim wasn't the greatest..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE9iPPqsefk[/media]

Edited by southern california guy

southern california guy

I prefer a neutral grip myself. 

My brother has been telling me that I should do them that way too.  I did five sets with the wide.grip.  I think on Monday I'll try 2 sets wide, 2 neutral, and 2 sets regular.  I probably can't do as many reps with neutral and regular but they will be good for variety.

southern california guy

Haha, should I ever move to MN I may take you and your friend upon on that offer!  I do know the "not being able to speak" sort of feeling though.  Also ditto on not being able to actually run for even two minutes; walk 10 miles round trip, fine?  Run...oh no!!

You're right about overcoming the mental block more than anything and feeling better once that happens.  :)  Just a matter of getting there.  (Would prop if I could!)

Today's office fun besides dissertating:

1) 5 pushups

2) 10 situps

3) 5 squats

4) 160 3lb bicep curls

5) 80 8lb bicep curls

Wow, a 160 biceps curls!  In the office.  Maybe that is a light weight, but that is a lot of reps!  And you did it in the office! crazy.

southern california guy

Ok.. I am bored and at home.. waiting for my leg to heal...  It's about like watching the grass grow...  So I decided to make another video of me doing pullups.  This time I decided to film myself doing 20 pullups or more.  Just in case any of you have doubts that I really can.. So... I did.  I only managed 20 good reps.  But I did them in the same looser form that I used in the other video.  I hurt my left shoulder bouncing at the bottom earlier this year so I am not going down anywhere that far now.  But my theory is that I will gain strength more quickly training with this form.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYc-tTs8Nag[/media]

Wow, a 160 biceps curls!  In the office.  Maybe that is a light weight, but that is a lot of reps!  And you did it in the office! crazy.

Thanks, spread out over a few hours!  Though I'd die at a pull up currently; weigh too much.  x.x

Roughly the same amount today and some situps.  Wish this heat would stop so I could walk again without dehydrating.

Semper Catholic

Soooomany bicep curls, good gravy.

Ya'll need to learn the glory of the compound lift. Deads, squat, bench, and cleans.

Don't worry girls you won't get "bulky"

southern california guy

Soooomany bicep curls, good gravy.

Ya'll need to learn the glory of the compound lift. Deads, squat, bench, and cleans.

Don't worry girls you won't get "bulky"

Deads, squats, and cleans... :x

I competed in powerlifting when I was younger, and my younger brother and I used to do 20 rep sets of deads, and squats..... Those aren't any fun :sad:

I'll start doing those again when my right leg gets a little stronger.  Yeah that's my excuse! :smile4:   I lost 30 pounds after I broke my right leg.  But I'm afraid is was not all fat..  I suppose I should start with bodyweight squats, but even those are hard for me now :flex2: ..