An Old School Catholic Message Board

Questions About Catholics Smoking Marijuana

Gabriela

1) Is it a sin for a Catholic to smoke marijuana in a jurisdiction in which marijuana consumption is illegal?

2) Is it a sin for a Catholic to smoke marijuana in a jurisdiction in which marijuana consumption is NOT illegal?

Thank you!

Uhhh... Didn't mean for this to turn into a debate. Who put this here? Isn't there a clear 'yes' or 'no' answer to these things?

I do not think smoking marijuana is immoral as long as you live in an area where marijuana is decriminalized. Marijuana has never been linked to cancer or other serious diseases. It also does not make the user inclined to make immoral decisions. Smoking cigarettes on the other hand is almost certainly immoral because it causes various types of cancer. 

I do not think smoking marijuana is immoral as long as you live in an area where marijuana is decriminalized. 

I feel bad for Catholics who helped on the underground railroad, if that's what it takes to make something a sin.

I'm not saying that it is immoral just because it is illegal. But as a citizen you are morally obligated to obey just laws.

1) Id say smoking marijuana in a jurisdiction where it is illegal is probably as much of a sin as going over the speed limit?

2) Not a sin

Chestertonian

If smoking cigarettes is a sin because it can cause cancer, so is eating Big Macs because they can cause high blood pressure and diabetes.

Yes, eating Big Macs is probably a sin. If you knowingly cause harm to your body it is a sin. 

But what if you have an addiction? I've heard it's not a sin if you struggle with addiction...

BTW: I just hit 1,000 posts. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

Edited by curiousing

Chestertonian

Yes, eating Big Macs is probably a sin. If you knowingly cause harm to your body it is a sin. 

Dang, you're like a Sharia Catholic!

1) Id say smoking marijuana in a jurisdiction where it is illegal is probably as much of a sin as going over the speed limit?

2) Not a sin

1) So you're saying it's a venial sin? Still, engaging in it knowing that it's a sin is not a good thing and ought to be avoided, yes?

I dont think its a sin in itself, but we should still follow the rules of our state.

I hope that helps :)

Smoking marijuana in a jurisdiction where that is illegal is probably a minor sin. It may not even be a sin because I cannot think of any justification for marijuana being illegal. 

chestertonian: I am not familiar with "Sharia Catholics"...please elaborate