An Old School Catholic Message Board

Questions About Catholics Smoking Marijuana

Gabriela

There is nothing wrong with marijuana. I know someone that has been smoking it for over 20 years and he's fine.  I visit him from time to time...at his mom's basement

Are you saying that marijuana makes you lazy and/ or unwilling to develop a career?

CatholicsAreKewl

I guy I used to work with now sells to the state....and does quite well for himself....

Tis a shame you got out of the business. You had the best stuff.

I guy I used to work with now sells to the state....and does quite well for himself....

He produces medical marijuana?

My son is a really great kid. He did something incredibly out of character for him under the influence of nothing but pot. This was while his mom was still alive. He and two older kids robbed a pizza delivery guy and almost beat him to death with a bat. He lives every day with that memory haunting him. It's not a harmless drug for everyone.

My son is a really great kid. He did something incredibly out of character for him under the influence of nothing but pot. This was while his mom was still alive. He and two older kids robbed a pizza delivery guy and almost beat him to death with a bat. He lives every day with that memory haunting him. It's not a harmless drug for everyone.

This is probably due to underlying mental conditions. Marijuana can cause psychosis in those with underlying mental conditions. Marijuana has never been the sole cause of violent behavior. There is a possibility that he smoked marijuana laced with PCP. Unfortunately this is somewhat common. It has happened to a few of my friends. 

There are a few studies that seem to say that marijuana use discourages violence. I will try to find them. 

CatholicsAreKewl

Wow, that's horrible. I'm sorry this happened to your son. I'd think I might agree with Jeff. Sometimes Marijuana will be laced with something without the buyer's knowledge. This could have been the case. Of course, there is a possibility that it wasn't and Marijuana by itself had an influence on the events of the night. We must remember that every drug has negative effects on some people. My friend has panic attacks after a sip of coffee. 

Are you saying that marijuana makes you lazy and/ or unwilling to develop a career?

No. He's not lazy b/c he likes where he's at in life.

1) Is it a sin for a Catholic to smoke marijuana in a jurisdiction in which marijuana consumption is illegal?

2) Is it a sin for a Catholic to smoke marijuana in a jurisdiction in which marijuana consumption is NOT illegal?

Thank you!

It's a sin to rely on chemical euphorias for joy instead of relying on God.

God gave us brains to make us happy.

The book of Sirach or Wisdom discusses that no plant/drug is bad (this was before chemical companies).

But it is how the drug/plant is used. I mean Jesus and the disciples didn't sit around and get drunk. They drank in/at celebrations. Fruit of the vine.

Each day we wake up, is another day God gave us to repent and sin no more.

God don't care who makes up stupid laws. He gave us the Law already.

Jesus saves lives, not seatbelts.

CatholicsAreKewl

It's a sin to rely on chemical euphorias for joy instead of relying on God.

God gave us brains to make us happy.

The book of Sirach or Wisdom discusses that no plant/drug is bad (this was before chemical companies).

But it is how the drug/plant is used. I mean Jesus and the disciples didn't sit around and get drunk. They drank in/at celebrations. Fruit of the vine.

You are very right. I would say that it would be sinful if it was being used as an alternative to prayer. I don't think the stress-relieving properties of it are necessarily sinful in all cases. I personally don't like it (it makes me anxious) but if it helps some people somehow, i don't know if it's necessarily bad. 

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Marijuana is the most benign drug known to man. There is no realistic lethal dose. There is no recorded death from the sole use of marijuana. Marijuana is not known to cause violent behavior or otherwise risky behavior. Marijuana is not thought to cause any disease or mental disorder. Those predisposed to schitzophrenia are not to smoke marijuana. The marijuana does not cause the schizophrenia. One has to have genetic predisposition to schitzophrenia for marijuana to even affect the problem. 

Cigarettes and other over the counter drugs generally are much more hazardous to one's health. Cigarettes are linked to -

If your concerns are only about health and death than your correct. But i don't believe your correct about marijuana not causing mental illness.

I came back here tonight to post my experiences in the matter of coming down or as the rastas would say " The dreggs."

I truely believe from my experience of drug use that in the coming down period after the effects of mind altering drugs (and i'm not talking about people that quit) after you experience your high or stone whatever you wan't to call it there is a coming down after the high period from the drug, mentaly, physicaly and emotionaly, and thoughts and emotions can become eradict and your body hungers for more. And i say can because i think the less you use a drug and the frequency that you use a drug can reduce these symptoms but honestly i have tried many drugs recreationaly and there all the same in the dreggs and have met many recreational drug uses and the symptoms are all the same. So honestly i don't believe your input here even if it is from the medical proffession i have experienced drug abuse myself 1st hand and 2nd hand through others that use. 

In the beggining it all seems good for most people using drugs recreationaly but as you progress these psychosematic/eradict thoughts/mental illness increases as does the emotional need and physical need for the support of the high to relax, therefore 9 out of 10 times the user becomes the addict and has to stay high to remove the increasing mental, emotional and physical strain/consequetial symptoms of the drug use.

Also i think God removes alot of these symptoms when the drug is used for it's correct purpose and that is medicinal. Some people with terminal illness are allergic to opiuts and marijuana sometimes is there only alternative to real pain relief.

You don't got real pain, don't use real drugs.

God is good,God is love.

Jesus iz Lord.

P.s. Yes i could be violent and yes it was marijuana. Though it was mainly walls.doors and trees coping it, i guess without my chrisitan upbringing it would have been the odd face. And also another part of my experience with recreational mind altering drug abuse it would shut down my morality alarm and i would commit other sins habitualy, which i believe reduces true charity which leads to most violence on the planet. And i would think about killing people and sleeping with other peoples wives, and the thought would eventualy become the action i suppose. People say there is no sin in the thought but jesus says " i tell you anyone whom even looks at a women lustfully has already commited the sin in there heart." and the old testament says don't let the sun set on your anger, these both state clearly there is trouble brewing in thoughts and feelins, these to need to be subdued,eventually.

My Cousin overdosed on a deadly combination of Marijuana and Protein powder. He was such a good kid, never thought he would turn to backalley drugs and steroids.

You cannot overdose on marijuana. The marijuana had nothing to do with his death. The protein powder probably caused multiple organ failure. Also, protein is not "steroids", but overuse of protein is extremely dangerous.