An Old School Catholic Message Board

Questions About Catholics Smoking Marijuana

Gabriela

How does the Church define a "just law"? Because it seems there's a lot of personal opinion entering into this in here. I mean, it's not like marijuana laws persecute Catholics for their faith or anything, in which case they would clearly be unjust. Such laws were legitimately established according to democratic procedure, and they don't persecute any particular group. So whether they are common sense or not (which, so far as I know, is irrelevant to whether violating them is a sin), the would seem to be just.

Or does the Church have some other criteria for establishing which laws are (un)just that I do not know of?

She doesn't get into minutiae, but justice is what we deserve. Do you think someone smoking a joint deserves to be thrown in a rape cage?

I disagree.

I have to agree with you here, Nihil. 25 mph has got to be the most dangerous speed one can possibly drive at. It damn near puts me to sleep every time, not to mention makes me incredibly irritable and road-ragey. Considering that, it is actually safer for me to drive 30 in a 25.

Oh-Boy-here-we-go-again.jpg

I seriously did not know that this would be controversial. Sorry! I am just trying to get a clear answer so I can know whether or not it is a sin!

She doesn't get into minutiae, but justice is what we deserve. Do you think someone smoking a joint deserves to be thrown in a rape cage?

Certainly not. But the justness of the punishment and the justness of the law are two different things.

Nihil Obstat

I have to agree with you here, Nihil. 25 mph has got to be the most dangerous speed one can possibly drive at. It beaver dam near puts me to sleep every time, not to mention makes me incredibly irritable and road-ragey. Considering that, it is actually safer for me to drive 30 in a 25.

If I did exactly 80 in an 80 zone, I would induce serious road range. :)

Certainly not. But the justness of the punishment and the justness of the law are two different things.

So make a law that has no punishment. Let God mete it out, if He sees fit.

Smoking 50 or more joints before the age of 21 triples your risk of developing schizophrenia.

Can you cite something for this? I've never heard it before, not even in scare programs like DARE.

DARE to keep kids from helping the gravy train of gubbmint power!

Whatevs, Nancy, you old bag of bones.

Can you cite something for this? I've never heard it before, not even in scare programs like DARE.

There's only been 30 or so major studies done on it. The biggest one in Scandinavia with 30,000 people. I have to stay on top of this stuff as a mental health educator/advocate. I also read Nature and Science every week.

http://www.schizophrenia.com/prevention/streetdrugs.html

Marijuana does not cause schizophrenia. It can bring latent schitzophrenia to the surface. One has to be predisposed to schitzophrenia for marijuana to make the problem worse.

Marijuana does not cause schizophrenia. It can bring latent schitzophrenia to the surface. One has to be predisposed to schitzophrenia for marijuana to make the problem worse.

I didn't say it caused schizophrenia. I said it tripled your chances of getting it.

And this is the thread I chose to open while eating a bag of Doritos......

Is that a munchies joke?

I do not think anyone should go to mass under the influence of drugs or alcohol, but I bet the hymns during mass would sound even more amazing if everyone smoked a joint before mass.

Nihil Obstat

I disagree.

I wish to take this back. I think that speeding is exactly as sinful as eating fast food and smoking, i.e. not even a little bit, in reasonable moderation.